Sign in to follow this  
Guest soberon

Why White Blocks

Guest soberon

I installed an addon EBCI airport, but it is surrounded by white blocks , can I do something about this?

Most likely the scenery uses an old technique from FS 2000 days, trees that rotate towards the user.In FS X, the transparency for the textures does not seem to work correctly any more, and may display as a solid color, light or dark.At your level of knowledge, there is nothing to be done except live with it or don't use the scenery. If you are willing to try, then you can de-compile the scenery and remove the trees, then re-compile it again.Best regards.Luis

Guest soberon

Luis, it is a fsx addon (by alan mccarthy) that consists of 3 bgl.files Is it easy to (de)compile?

Guest crispotts
Luis, it is a fsx addon (by alan mccarthy) that consists of 3 bgl.files Is it easy to (de)compile?
Hi guys,I have just joined this forum looking for an answer to a similar problem.I am running FSX acceleration and have downloaded several FSX Thermal scenery .bgl files authored by Francisco Vargas.As soon as I start up with the default glider I am also surrounded by white blocks.Can't seem to get a valid email address for Snr Vargas. Can anyone helpCheersChris

If it is for FS X, then I am probably mistaken. I shall take a look at the Charleroi files and let you know what the problem is.Cris, as far as I know, Francisco's files were made using older techniques for FS 2000 and FS 2004. I assume that he just made the same thing for these FS X files, although I do not know for sure. Anyway, FS X already has world-wide thermals built in and does not need any extra files for that. Also, thermal creation for FS X is rather different from what was used previously, and Francisco's files always eliminated large swaths of autogen directly beneath them for me. I shall take a look at those files as well and keep you informed.Best regards.Luis

After a quick look, it seems that the Charleroi scenery is only some default hangars and static airplanes, no trees at all.And Francisco's soaring files don't seem different from his usual work.So, could both of you please show a screenshot of your problematic displays? This would help in diagnosing the issue.Best regards.Luis

Guest crispotts
After a quick look, it seems that the Charleroi scenery is only some default hangars and static airplanes, no trees at all.And Francisco's soaring files don't seem different from his usual work.So, could both of you please show a screenshot of your problematic displays? This would help in diagnosing the issue.Best regards.Luis
Here is one of Soaring using Francisco's Whole of Turkey thermals file.The AVSIM & Suclaro downloads are specifically quoted as being OK for FSXChris

Guest soberon
Here is one of Soaring using Francisco's Whole of Turkey thermals file.The AVSIM & Suclaro downloads are specifically quoted as being OK for FSXChris
I don't know for sure about trees, just blocks the size of houses but all white a mile away from the airport

Chris, that is strange. If you are using SP2 or the Acceleration Pack, then it could be a problem with transparencies. You should try removing the thermals anyway and see if you still have the problem. In any case, FS X already has thermals for the entire world, and Francisco's are neither better nor more realistic, so they are not really necessary.As for Charleroi, if the white blocks are not at the airport, then it must be some other add-on if removing the Charleroi scenery does not eliminate the problem. Without more information and a screenshot, it is impossible to know what could be the cause.Best regards.Luis

Guest crispotts
Chris, that is strange. If you are using SP2 or the Acceleration Pack, then it could be a problem with transparencies. You should try removing the thermals anyway and see if you still have the problem. In any case, FS X already has thermals for the entire world, and Francisco's are neither better nor more realistic, so they are not really necessary.As for Charleroi, if the white blocks are not at the airport, then it must be some other add-on if removing the Charleroi scenery does not eliminate the problem. Without more information and a screenshot, it is impossible to know what could be the cause.Best regards.Luis
Morning Luis,yes my version is the acceleration pack. I saw your previous comment re thermals being standard in FSX and tried a few other locations, although there are no visible hints as to locations of thermals as there are in the gliding missions, which are a big cheat anyway but very useful for beginners, I still managed a few good flights.I will remove Francisco's scenery files anyway but they only presented problems when I loaded a glider.Cheers and feliz navidad

Merry Christmas to you as well, Chris. To see a visual representation of the thermals, please go to the Option-Settings_Display menu, choose the Weather tab and select the representation you desire. Schematic will give you the colored swirls, and Natural will have you soaring with the eagles!Best regards.Luis

Guest crispotts
Merry Christmas to you as well, Chris. To see a visual representation of the thermals, please go to the Option-Settings_Display menu, choose the Weather tab and select the representation you desire. Schematic will give you the colored swirls, and Natural will have you soaring with the eagles!Thanks Luis. Sorted the colored swirls but cant find the b** birds, is there another setting that needs turning up to flush them out of their nests.

Can be difficult to see them, Chris. You may want to first select the colored swirls, just to see where the thermals are, then select the eagles and hang around a bit until you can spot them. Even better, and hopefully for the next version of FS, clouds, especially cumulus, would be a nice indication of thermals.Best regards.Luis