Sign in to follow this  
Guest ccartmel

SP2 and FSX compliance

Guest ccartmel

Hi,Thanks all for your excellent site, and to the contributors for your efforts. This post is not meant as a criticism in any way, in fact the opposite as I would like to see 3rd party contributions supported rather than ignored by MS.My Point is that with the advent of FSX SP2, forced on me when I installed acceleration, a lot of my add-ons don't show in DX10 preview mode (I know it isn't 'complete'), and some fail with transparency issues when used in DX9. These are commercial add-ons BTW.I feel that the issue is with either porting FS9 aircraft to FSX, or using the older technologies depracated for FSX which have .bmp textures rather than .dds which according to the SDK is mandatory. From reading blogs from ACES developers it seems that from now on any legacy graphics formats will not be supported, and as a consequence those not using the latest SDK design methods will fail.I must say that assuming these formats will be OK for FS11 is a risk, as if MS can change the rendering technology through an update, then there will be no problems for them to totally re-write the rules for FS11 and really screw the 3rd party developers. This may be necessary however in order to embrace newer technologies which we must accept is sorely needed in MSFS.Bottom line is that with the advent of later FS versions the library of aircraft will become obsolete for those who move on. (I will probably stick with FSX however).To make life easier for we unfortunate individuals who wish to use DX10 is it practical to signify if the aircraft is FSX compliant rather than just compatible?Obviously repaints of the MS defaults must be, but this is such a limited list (in my view anyway). Best Regards to allCharlie