Sign in to follow this  
Guest welp

Pmdg 737ng Approach Help

Guest welp

I think I've pretty much got everything down in the PMDG 737 except the approach. I'm still using the default MSFS2004 ATC by the way. Example :I was doing a flight today from Bangkok (VTBD) to Chiang Mai (VTCC) and when ATC told me to turn left heading blah blah expect vectors ILS rwy 36 Approach, I checked the FMC and went to the Dep Arr page and chose the Rwy 36 ILS Approach on it. Upon executing it, I got a route discontinuity. For some reason it would let me copy a waypoint to fix it. Anyways, I decided to fly the plane the way I did for the default and overland 737's which is by just using heading hold and picking the heading. When it was time to intercept the Localizer, I pressed the Approach button and the plane turned just as it should. I decided I would use Autoland just to try it out. Having both Autopilots activated, everything seemed to be going well but for some reason I started stalling and it went back to Vor Loc. I pressed Approach again and activated the second Autopilot once again. Once again it happened, I stalled and then disengaged the A/P and A/T and ended up manually landing the plane. Am I doing this right or am I missing something? By the way, I'm sorry if this is a little difficult to understand, it was kind of hard to word this.

I started stalling and it went back to Vor Loc.
If you were stalling you probably were not doing the speed control in conjunction with flaps deployment. Pushing APP doesn't not mean you can sit back and watch the plane land all by itself - you have to set correct speeds on the MCP and extend flaps/gear at the right time. You may search this forum and find a link to Timothy Metzinger's famous 737 tutorial which will teach you everything one step at a time.

Make sure you configure your arrival flaps/speed on the index/approach page of the FMC when within maybe a 150 nm of destination so the current weight after expending fuel is used. This allows the flaps lowering schedule and speed range for each flap setting to be shown on the speed tape in the PFD.You still need to perform MCP A/T speed control and flaps coordination throughout the approach unless you are manually controlling the throttles for the speed portion. If/when switching to manual throttle control you will still need to follow the flap schedule. I like to use A/T to make it easier to maintain the desired speed as the aircraft pitch changes with flaps to follow the G/S.APP only arms steering horizontally and vertically (if a GS is present) with the raw navaid data transmitted once the paths are captured. Always check the localizer ident on your PFD to insure it is the correct one before arming approach. By default, all FS localizers have backcourse enabled. If a frequency is shared at both ends of a runway in FS you will usually receive the incorrect localizer/GS until within a couple of degrees of centerline and could lock on to the incorrect one if arming approach too early.My procedure is to use MCP HDG until ID is confirnmed and when the localizer "needle" starts moving to start turning via HDG the aircraft to the inbound course. Again confirming ID I then enable APPR.