Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

Bozo Alert! I See Only One Page

Guest RonB49

Why do I see only one page in this forum (FSX) only? In the FS9 forum I see 412 pages and navigation arrows at the top and the bottom of the topic list. Other forums list multiple pages but this one nada. What's up (or what have I done wrong?) R-

Why do I see only one page in this forum (FSX) only? In the FS9 forum I see 412 pages and navigation arrows at the top and the bottom of the topic list. Other forums list multiple pages but this one nada. What's up (or what have I done wrong?) R-
We seem to have a system funcality issue. We have seen this over the last two weeks occur a couple of times. We are not trying to mess with your head, and something is amiss. The messages are all there, the system just decides on its own that it is only going to shot the first page of a forum. We are looking into it.

Hummm...I don't recall seeing this sort of problems with the old...uh, previous...versionof the forum software. I caould also see the threads I had read easily since the colorof the message headers changed once a thread was accessed. A very handy feautre,now gone for the sake of a what to me is nothing more than a 'new look' withless functionality.....I'm pretty certain that I'm missing alot of useful information or the chance to pass on some of my own knowledge due to what I see as the clumsiness of this forum software....Alas, I shall never be content with this current software.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hummm...I don't recall seeing this sort of problems with the old...uh, previous...versionof the forum software. I caould also see the threads I had read easily since the colorof the message headers changed once a thread was accessed. A very handy feautre,now gone for the sake of a what to me is nothing more than a 'new look' withless functionality.....I'm pretty certain that I'm missing alot of useful information or the chance to pass on some of my own knowledge due to what I see as the clumsiness of this forum software....Alas, I shall never be content with this current software.... Paul
Hi Paul. I agree with you 100%. I too will ever be content with this new software. The old system was 1000 times better. REgards, Bob.

Yeah, Paul, we got the message... one airdale to another.

While I may be getting set in my ways, I too have had the same impression. My usage of this forum has gone way down as a result. I know that. As just curiousity, I wonder what the overall figures show in this regard. Am I alone here ?Bob

While I may be getting set in my ways, I too have had the same impression. My usage of this forum has gone way down as a result. I know that. As just curiousity, I wonder what the overall figures show in this regard. Am I alone here ?Bob
Actually, all stats are up, including the number of new users signing on every day. We were just at 50,000 members last weekend. We have had nearly 400 people sign up since then.

All fixed. Here's what is happening...Any of the busy forums can get "desynchronized" for lack of a better phrase. Has to do with the MYSQL database that we run this thing on. When that happens, apparently, the system will show only the first page or a forum. All it takes to get things back into a correct functional mode, is for one of the ADMINS to "resync" the forum, as I just did. Nothing's broke, it is supposed to work that way. The alternative would be to have a really messed up database. Oh, and if an admin doesn't manually resync, the system will do so on its on via a schedule that we have set to do so (about a hour or so).

Guest jshyluk

If Tom wanted to mess with your head, he would have done so by now, and you'd never even know. The only warning you'd get is that he's standing there smiling on your doorstep and next thing all of your bourbon would be missing from your liquor cabinet. You'd probably even be smiling back. In fact, if I ever used emoticons, I'd put a big smiley one right now! Just kidding, Tom!!I kind of don't think AVSIM will switch back to the old forum format. It did have its limitations, too. Nobody can force you to like something new, but nobody is trying to make your AVSIM experience worse, at least not intentionally. The forum managers are all working very hard to make your experience the best it can possibly be. If you think you know better or can do better, please join us on the AVSIM volunteer team, and allow the community to benefit from your experience. In any case, I have a small work-around for those times the page counter goes missing:Switch to the Low-Fi Version (It's a small text switch at the bottom of every forum page). The Low-Fi switch is intended to make the forums compatible for people with very low or unusual computer systems. It strips away much of the graphical interface, and so shows many more threads. I use it myself from time to time, so if I can figure it out, anybody should be able to. You can switch back to Hi-Fi any time you like.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Switch to the Low-Fi Version (It's a small text switch at the bottom of every forum page).
By the way, I have done it to see if I can see the strangely missing thread originated by "Tabs" with his impression on the Mustang. I still can't find this thread.

Guest jshyluk
By the way, I have done it to see if I can see the strangely missing thread originated by "Tabs" with his impression on the Mustang. I still can't find this thread.
That's a stumper. Are you sure your information is correct? The last (and only) topic started by Tabs as far as I can tell was Dec. 8th, and in it he talks about his guitar music. I used the search function and looked at Tabs' profile to glean this info. Using Low-Fi won't let you see all the threads, but it does conatin maybe 2 or 2 1/2 pages more than the Hi-Fi version. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

That's a stumper. Are you sure your information is correct? The last (and only) topic started by Tabs as far as I can tell was Dec. 8th, and in it he talks about his guitar music. I used the search function and looked at Tabs' profile to glean this info.
Jeff, I did the same thing, and got the same results... :( I did get to watch a cool video of the band of which he's a member playing "Cover" for a concert last week... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N
We seem to have a system funcality issue. We have seen this over the last two weeks occur a couple of times. We are not trying to mess with your head, and something is amiss. The messages are all there, the system just decides on its own that it is only going to shot the first page of a forum. We are looking into it.
No no noYou are just messing with us old guys trying to make us think we are losing our minds.. sort of like putting us in a round room and telling us the bathroom is in the corner J/K! :(

That's a stumper. Are you sure your information is correct?
You bet it is correct. You can ask Ryan himself or a few other folks who saw this thread ( I was not under influence when I was reading it!). But now I am starting to see through all this fog - even though mods were trying to tell us that we don't see it because of technical "malfunction" and please "no conspiracies" his thread was simply unceremoniously deleted. There is even a fellow who admitted that he "alerted" about this thread. What's more interesting - there is no one to actually take responsibility for this deletion or tell us why.

You bet it is correct. You can ask Ryan himself or other people who saw this thread ( I was not under influence when I was reading it!). But now I am starting to see through all this fog - even though mods were trying to tell us that we don't see it because of technical "malfunction" his thread was simply unceremoniously deleted. What's more interesting - there is no one to actually tell us why.
That is certainly misinformation on your part. I told you I was checking into why the thread vanished and I am still waiting to hear.I also speculated at first that because we were not able for the last day or two to see past one page that that might be the problem.It does seem that you have an agenda however.