Sign in to follow this  
plowry

Md11 And 4gb_patch

Can anyone tell me whether this patch will work for FSX with a Vista 32 bit OS or do I need 64 bit. Peter.

Peter,you mean the so called 3GB Switch which will let you use more than 2GB of Ram for a single process?If so then yes the MD-11 is of course compatible. But this will not guarantee out of memory error free operation, however it works for most users.But if you have 4GB of Ram in your system and want to use all of it there's no way around a 64bit operating system, plus this will make out of memory errors disappear once and for all.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Peter,you mean the so called 3GB Switch which will let you use more than 2GB of Ram for a single process?If so then yes the MD-11 is of course compatible. But this will not guarantee out of memory error free operation, however it works for most users.But if you have 4GB of Ram in your system and want to use all of it there's no way around a 64bit operating system, plus this will make out of memory errors disappear once and for all.Regards,Markus
One further thin Markus if I may: The MD11 instruction is for XP and calls for an addition to text in My Computer\Properties\Settings\Edit. Vista has no Edit button. Do you know if I can assume running the patch is sufficient in Vista with no need to edit any text?Peter.

One further thin Markus if I may: The MD11 instruction is for XP and calls for an addition to text in My Computer\Properties\Settings\Edit. Vista has no Edit button. Do you know if I can assume running the patch is sufficient in Vista with no need to edit any text?
Peter,I'm afraid I can't help here. I've been using a 64bit operating system for years now so I never had the need for that. I'm sure someone else will know what to do here.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

It's not really a patch but a boot-time switch in the OS that lets you adjust the default 2GB application / 2GB system division of virtual memory. In 32-bit Vista use the command "BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa xxxx" (make sure to run the command prompt as administrator) using xxxx between 2048 and 3072.2048 is the default value (2GB for applications), 3072 allocates 3GB to applications and 1GB to system. The value that you should use depends on your actual system configuration, particularly on the amount of memory on your graphics card (since this gets mapped to the system memory space). If you have 512MB of graphics memory using a value of 2816 is reasonable.You can mess things up by changing this, so be careful (don't use too large values). You reset to default by running the same command using 2048.A Microsoft article on the topic: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613473(VS.85).aspxTom

It's not really a patch but a boot-time switch in the OS that lets you adjust the default 2GB application / 2GB system division of virtual memory. In 32-bit Vista use the command "BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa xxxx" (make sure to run the command prompt as administrator) using xxxx between 2048 and 3072.2048 is the default value (2GB for applications), 3072 allocates 3GB to applications and 1GB to system. The value that you should use depends on your actual system configuration, particularly on the amount of memory on your graphics card (since this gets mapped to the system memory space). If you have 512MB of graphics memory using a value of 2816 is reasonable.You can mess things up by changing this, so be careful (don't use too large values). You reset to default by running the same command using 2048.A Microsoft article on the topic: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613473(VS.85).aspxTom
Thanks Tom. I should be able to follow your instruction. My card is the 8800 GTS which I think is 512 mb. Can I assume I would do the same if I were to upgrade to Vista 64 bit?Peter.

Thanks Tom. I should be able to follow your instruction. My card is the 8800 GTS which I think is 512 mb. Can I assume I would do the same if I were to upgrade to Vista 64 bit?
Peter,Vista 64 does NOT need any modification regarding memory.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

but XP Pro 64 does right?
No, the issue that we are talking about here does not exist in a 64-bit operating system. It has to do with the fact that you cannot address more than 4GB of memory with 32 address bits.Tom

I have vista 32 and Nvidia 8800 GT 528Mb card. If I activate 3Gb switch to increase Ram to 2816. Will it help to increase FPS? or increase performance of PMDG 747X graphic process? Is there any risk factor?ThanksSanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Sanal,no this does not increase FPS in any way. It is only something you should try if you get out of memory errors. If you don't get those then don't apply this change as it can have side effects.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Sanal,no this does not increase FPS in any way. It is only something you should try if you get out of memory errors. If you don't get those then don't apply this change as it can have side effects.Regards,Markus
Markus.Thanks for your advise.Sanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Tom the exchanges following this have left me still not entirely clear mostly because I really do not understand enough of the technical side of this hobby. I think I am fine on your instruction to modify the Vista 32 bit OS which I have. If I upgrade to Vista 64 bit (as I may now do) would I still want to install the 4g switch to take advantage of expanding FSX to use more than 2 gigs of RAM?Peter.