Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Sysem Dead:power Supply?

My system died. Left it running. Came back and it was off (never a good sign!) Tried front panel button, nothing.Pulled system out and observed the boot port 80 display (MB is the Abit IP35 Pro). PSU provides standby power, but on boot the sequence is stopped with the boot display at 8.2. Per IP-35 manual this is the point where the MB is attempting to start the PSU.Did some searching and have seen various posts where on new builds the IP-35 would never get past 8.2. with certain PSUs, but nothing where a good system (for over a year) stops working.So I'm assuming my PSU (Antec Neo HE 500) might be dead? All I can find locally is BB which has unknown PSU @ $150 so I have ordered an Enermax 82+ 600 which I should get next week.Any other ideas in the meantime? I guess Abit has gone away so replacing my IP-35 pro probably isn't in the picture (It's probably out of warranty anyway). If the new PSU doesn't fix it I might just go for a DFI lanparty X48 board as my next option. Can't think of anything else to consider but would like to hear any other ideas?scott s..Abit IP-35 Pro Q6600 clocked to 3.22x1 Corsair XMS-2 DDR2800 RAMSThermalright Ultra 90 HSF with 120mm fanAntec Neo HE 500 PSU2x WD Caviar 16mb 7200 SATA 3.0 HDEVGA GF8800GTS 320

Guest D17S

If the PS doesn't fix it, Abit has an out of warranty replacement policy where $25 will buy ya whatever you had. I used it to replace an old IS7 last year. It was still a good server box and spending . . . well, more that 25 bucks on it didn't seem justified. Give it a try. In any case, don't give up on that system quite yet. It's looking like that Q at 3G+ will get cha through the Nehalem revolution in good stead.

I hope you're right, but on the Abit web site it says they are out of the motherboard business as of 1/1/09.scott s..

FWIW my new Enermax PSU showed up before Christmas, but a little slow getting everything switched out. The Enermax (modulo = cable management) is a nice unit. It doesn't have the snap-off 20-24 pin ATX connection, but I guess the assumption is all MB (that one would spend this kind of money on a PSU for) would be 24 pin ATX. The PSU does provide a dual 4/8 pin 12v CPU connector and 2 snap-off 6/8 pin graphics power lines.Initally the system would try to power up then quit, but after clearing CMOS booted up fine. Meanwhile, looking at Abit stiff, Abit is dead, and it seems like the IP-35 pro has problem with the latest 45 nm CPUs such as E8600 with the last released BIOS 17. There is supposed to be a beta BIOS 18 but I didn't see any indication that it fixed anything, except maybe temp reporting. So it looks like not much upgrade potential on this board.Maybe look at something like an ASUS P6T for the next build.scott s..