Sign in to follow this  
sirsanka

Need Help With Land Class

Hola Jay,No, you should only have to re-project the RAW image for everything to be right.Probably the easiest way to do this is with Global Mapper where you can geo-reference a file and re-project it in quick and easy steps. Unfortunately, this program costs money, so I use a free program, Hyper Cube, to warp the image instead. Re-projection is just another way of saying that the map is warped, anyway.Hyper Cube is probably overkill, as it is extremely powerful and really made for other things - still, it does the job with no hassles.The technique is to warp the map to conform to another image that one knows is the correct projection.I use SBuilderX to get that, since it takes the images from Google or Virtual Earth, that are in U.T.M. (Universal Transverse Mercator, and in this particular region, that is North 19) and automatically converts them to the required Geographic coordinate system, the so-called "projection" that is needed.So, I choose the "Add Map from Background" option:Then, select the area desired - the coverage and dimensions of the two images, the original and target, should be as close as possible.Once the image is created, I compile it into photo-scenery just so that I could have the inf file that SBuilderX creates.That inf file will come in very handy at the end of the process.Everything is now ready for Hyper Cube. Unfortunately, this program does not like the BMP that SBuilderX creates, so I just convert that to a JPG, no problem.Here is the JPG for your use, if you wish. It is in the required Geographic projection.And this is the inf file:[source] Type = BMP Layer = Imagery SourceDir = "." SourceFile = "L8X153X158Y227Y230.BMP" Variation = All NullValue = 255,255,255 SamplingMethod = Gaussian ulyMap = 19.9733487861107 ulxMap = -72.421875 xDim = .00274658203125 yDim = .00260220790951228[Destination] DestDir = "." DestBaseFileName = "Photo01" DestFileType = BGL LOD = Auto UseSourceDimensions = 1 CompressionQuality = 85In Hyper Cube, just load the original image and the target, one after the other, then select the Warp function.I have loaded the vegetation map and will warp it to the SBuilderX image, but you should load your land class image instead as the original. Then, in Warp, place points on each of the images in turn at the same spots (make sure to Shift-Click). Also make sure to choose Affine and Cubic as these are the most appropriate choices for this process. The Affine transform needs a minimum of 4 common points in order to warp the image, but that won't give a good result. Instead, I went all around the coast, placing points, 2 dozen in all, at all the salient points and extremities. Any more is probably overkill. This gives a very good "re-projection" for the money.You will wind up with a new image that you can save and use. It may have a band of black around it, since the original will be transformed to the same dimensions as the target, but you can just make that black into the Null Value.And your land class values may have been dithered, so you will also have to take a close look at them as well to make sure that everything is fine.The biggest problem is that the new image does not have the same dimensions as the original, so your inf file is no longer valid. But, the inf file that SBuilderX created will work perfectly - simply change the Layer to land class.The whole process is relatively easy and should give you the re-projected result that you need.Best regards.Luis

Made good progress thanks to Luis! I still have to futher align the image but we're getting there. Here's the lastest.