Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Lucky Me? I Get To "re-install" Everything!

Of course I'm being facetious. I hate what I have to do in a day or so. Because I reinstalled Vista due to a mistake I made when trying to recover a situation, I had no choice except to go back to square one. I'm happy that I bought Carbonite for $50 a year to continually back up my pictures and other files...but of course, it doesn't do much for PROGRAMS...which have to be re-installed. I had FSX running great too. So, I'm asking about the order of things. Tomorrow, I should have my files recovered (payware stuff and all), and I will begin the painstaking chore of getting FSX up and running again. Tell me if this is correct: 1. Install FSX 2. Install Acceleration 3.Install GEX 4. Install REX 5. Install FS Genesis 6. Install some planes 7. Install some Addon scenery (like some airports that I like plus Hawaii Megascenery) 8. Tweak my config with Bufferpools, etc. 9. Do some more tweaking 10. FLY.How does that sound...my fellow FSX experts? Love to hear if this is correct, or should I do something different this time?Stan

Remember to launch FSX once right after installing the RTM version and before installing Acceleration, to make sure all the user directories are setup and populated - probably need to do the license thing at this point also. After installing Acceleration, I would launch FSX again before installing your addons. Probably want to do a defrag or two in there as well :->Tim

Guest Nick_N
Of course I'm being facetious. I hate what I have to do in a day or so. Because I reinstalled Vista due to a mistake I made when trying to recover a situation, I had no choice except to go back to square one. I'm happy that I bought Carbonite for $50 a year to continually back up my pictures and other files...but of course, it doesn't do much for PROGRAMS...which have to be re-installed. I had FSX running great too. So, I'm asking about the order of things. Tomorrow, I should have my files recovered (payware stuff and all), and I will begin the painstaking chore of getting FSX up and running again. Tell me if this is correct: 1. Install FSX 2. Install Acceleration 3.Install GEX 4. Install REX 5. Install FS Genesis 6. Install some planes 7. Install some Addon scenery (like some airports that I like plus Hawaii Megascenery) 8. Tweak my config with Bufferpools, etc. 9. Do some more tweaking 10. FLY.How does that sound...my fellow FSX experts? Love to hear if this is correct, or should I do something different this time?Stan
Tim is quite correct... he should be!.. hes on the team DO make sure you install FSX corrrectly... many think they can simply patch over after the initial install without booting the software and this creates more perf issues than one may thinkDo make sure you have a modern video driver installed for your video card. Older drivers can present perf and other issues 1. Install RTM, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and g ahead and boot the default flight.2. Close the simIf you have the Deluxe version and want the SDK installed, install it off the DVD now.3. Reboot the computer4. Install Acceleration which will install SP2 automatically. Boot the sim and allow it to complete the install and boot the default flight. 5. Close the simIf you want the Acceleration SDK install it from the disk.6. Reboot the computerMake sure you have the latest DirectX UPDATE installed.Make sure you have the C++ library update installed.You can activate it now at anytime8. Start the sim, set up the sliders/checkboxes as you had them. Close the sim9. Install your addons one at a time, reboot in between and make sure you have the updates for them.DO NOT MIGRATE the FSX.cfg file you have!Use it to copy/paste edits but do not overwrite the new file.

Stan-sorry to hear it. I hope you don't have my Vista problem...I've had 3 reinstalls this year.

9. Install your addons one at a time, reboot in between and make sure you have the updates for them.DO NOT MIGRATE the FSX.cfg file you have!Use it to copy/paste edits but do not overwrite the new file.
Sage advice. Can't stress that enough. Go slow.

What's the point of running FSX once before installing Acceleration? I hadn't done it and I am quite curious about it. Thanks!

Thanks for the EXPERT advice. I hope others who read this also benefited. The running of FSX between installs is a significant piece of advice. I will follow exactly.... you can be sure. Is SP1 automatically installed with Acceleration as well as SP2?Stan

Stan-sorry to hear it. I hope you don't have my Vista problem...I've had 3 reinstalls this year.
Geoffa,I'd hate to go through this 2 times let alone 3. Sorry.Stan

I actually WANT to reinstall everything. My hard drive and FSX install are very cluttered and I don't have much space left (~13 gb). My DVD drive is broken though so I can't... :(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest Nick_N
Thanks for the EXPERT advice. I hope others who read this also benefited. The running of FSX between installs is a significant piece of advice. I will follow exactly.... you can be sure. Is SP1 automatically installed with Acceleration as well as SP2?Stan
YesAcceleration takes care of both in one shotIf installing for a non-acceleration SP2 its the same process except install SP1, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer then repeat for SP2

I feel your pain, but it does feel nice to have a clean install. I had to redo everything when I upgraded from Vista to Windows XP (yes I did say that right :( ).

Thanks everyone,FSX now reinstalled, I've run it, adjusted settings, and shut down. I'll start with acceleration tonight, and go on from there. Appreciate the help.Stan