Sign in to follow this  
CaptLou

Fs9 Load Time

Hi All: It takes my computer over 5 minutes to load FS9. (I now have a piano type keyboard next to my computer and am learning how to play it while waiting). :( OK, I probably have too many aircraft and paints and should cut back but I always worry that I'll take out something used by another plane. Looking at my FS9 folder, I find there are 23 scenery cfg files of various types. A new one every time I changed something. eg: Scenery_cfg_before_CH2Beaver_was_installed.cfg. Several after various changes to the AES cfg files. Some of these appear to be usable ie: They have the little blue notebook icon. Others are text files. eg: Scenery_cfg-before_Cloud9_Amsterdam_1-8-2006_1538.txt. Do I need all of these or is only the latest required? Could this be a cause for slow loading? Also, would things speed up if I deleted various aircraft textures and kept only those I usually fly? I normally fly in North & Central America (including Caribbean) and Europe and have disabled the rest of the world in the setting menu.Flight Sim 9.1.0.40901.01Windows XP Home Edition V5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600NVIDIA GeForce 6600CT 128MBAMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21 GHz, 1.00GB of RAMYour help would be appreciated. :( Merry Christmas and the best of the season to all. Lou

Guest Stanner1953

Your problem is basically only 1GB of RAM. Stanner

Guest Reed2033
Hi All: It takes my computer over 5 minutes to load FS9. (I now have a piano type keyboard next to my computer and am learning how to play it while waiting). :( OK, I probably have too many aircraft and paints and should cut back but I always worry that I'll take out something used by another plane. Looking at my FS9 folder, I find there are 23 scenery cfg files of various types. A new one every time I changed something. eg: Scenery_cfg_before_CH2Beaver_was_installed.cfg. Several after various changes to the AES cfg files. Some of these appear to be usable ie: They have the little blue notebook icon. Others are text files. eg: Scenery_cfg-before_Cloud9_Amsterdam_1-8-2006_1538.txt. Do I need all of these or is only the latest required? Could this be a cause for slow loading? Also, would things speed up if I deleted various aircraft textures and kept only those I usually fly? I normally fly in North & Central America (including Caribbean) and Europe and have disabled the rest of the world in the setting menu.Flight Sim 9.1.0.40901.01Windows XP Home Edition V5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600NVIDIA GeForce 6600CT 128MBAMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21 GHz, 1.00GB of RAMYour help would be appreciated. :( Merry Christmas and the best of the season to all. Lou
Im not a real expert with the inner workings of FS but the only scenery cfg that you need is the scenery.cfg that was originally installed. All the scenery addons are normally edited to this automatically when you select them in FS. There are exceptions if you want to manually edit a scenery layer or elevation. It sounds like you made a backup of your cfg whenever you installed a new addon in case things got funny. This isnt a bad idea. I would reccomend taking all these files except the original scenery.cfg and putting them into a seperate folder on your desktop or something. Maybe FS is taking so long to load because it is trying to find the correct .cfg file out of all the backups? Just dont delete anything until a person with better knowledge of the problem picks up this thread. That is my disclaimer :( Reed

Hi, CptLou.The most likely cause is one of your Addons that slows you down. Some of my old systems, less powerful than what you are using, only 512 MB RAM, loaded FS9 in less than 1 Minute. Your System should be OK, unless you are not running at full speed, your system can default to a safe / less than max. trough put.A few things that you may want to try, these are reversible, you can go back and redo / reenable them.Go in the Scenery Library and Uncheck some of your add on scenery, one at the time and see if you can pinpoint which one may be holding you up. You have to restart your FS after each change. You can just go back and enable them again if you want, later.There can also be an Aircraft that did not install properly that can cause that problem, there is a Utility here at AVSIM that can check that, maybe one of these guys remembers the name of it.. You can safely Move any of your Aircraft Folders to a Temp folder and see if one of these is the problem, you can move them back later if you want /need them. Do not move the Original Aircraft that came with the Sim., like the 172, 182 etc.Save / rename your "FS9.cfg", this will force your FS to create a new one, and you will have to redo some of your settings, like the Joystick etc. To go back all you have to do is rename or delete the new "FS9.cfg" and rename your old .cfg to "FS9.cfg". TV

Guest ThrottleUp

Some good advice given to you by fellow simmers. I would like to add to that!Create a number of folders outside FS and keep the planes that you do not fly very often in these folders. For example this is what I have under a main folder I call "Hangar"-------------------------------------FS HANGAR|Jets (Heavy)Jets (Light)Props (Piston)Props (Turbine)Military AI-------------------------------------You can also use another method and that is to have multiple aircraft folders under FS9. When you want to fly different types of planes just rename the folder to aircraft and off you go. -------------------------------------Aircraft <---- the aircraft folder in use Aircraft.propsAircraft.airlinersAircraft.helicoptersAircraft.piston twins-------------------------------------With both these methods you can keep the minimum number of aircraft in the Aircraft folder and FS will load a bit faster. Mine loads in about a minute. After all - if your intention on a particular simming-session is to trundle around in a microlight then why have FS9 load up all those gazillion A320s, A310s, 777s, 747s, businessjets etc etc. Just rename Aircraft.pistonsingles to Aircraft and off you are ready to fly. Using this method you will be shocked to discover how many planes you hardly (if ever) touch!! :(

Thanks people for your quick responses. I will try them out and let you know what happens. ThrottleUp's mention of micro-light is close to the truth. I just sold my real Ultra-light. Had been flying it for about 23 years. Lazair Series iii. Would love to see some one make one for use in FS9.

I also noticed that solving all your small FS problems can tremendously accelerate the FS loading times.With the freeware Flightsim Manager in the avsim library I regularly clean up my FS install.Have a look specifically at how to clean up your scenery.cfg fileRead a review here:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0705/fsm/fsm.htmlDownload version 2.8.5 here:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=76742My heavily modded setup loads in 1min30sec.Let us know if it helped... Can be useful for thers in the future...Regards,Sylvain

Download my repaints at AVSIM.

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT 256Mb - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - Western Digital 250Gb - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP2 - FS2004

With the freeware Flightsim Manager in the avsim library I regularly clean up my FS install.............Download version 2.8.5 here:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=76742Regards,Sylvain
I have downloaded and installed Flightsim Manager as above but, when I try to run it, it won't load.All I get is a message saying I am using a very old version and to download the latest but the link to the website doesn't work.Any ideas?

I have downloaded and installed Flightsim Manager as above but, when I try to run it, it won't load.All I get is a message saying I am using a very old version and to download the latest but the link to the website doesn't work.Any ideas?
There is a 'patched' version that removed the date check available somewhere on the net... unfortunately I can't remember where... :( Check flightsim.com ??In the meantime just turn back your system clock a few years ago. It will work if you go back in time far enough...Cheers,Sylvain

Download my repaints at AVSIM.

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT 256Mb - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - Western Digital 250Gb - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP2 - FS2004

I agree that it sounds like an add-on scenery problem that's slowing the loading time. I have many hundreds of add-on planes and sceneries and with a dual core machine and 2Gb RAM, I get 45 seconds as a first-load-of-the-day - and then as low as ten seconds for each load-up after that, as some of the processes are already in memory. I also have many backup scenery.cfg files, renamed as above as each major scenery upgrade has gone in, and there has been no effect on the loading time.Has it always been this slow? Might be worth disabling your most recent sceneries one by one until you (hopefully) get to the one that's causing the problems. :(

I also have many backup scenery.cfg files, renamed as above as each major scenery upgrade has gone in, and there has been no effect on the loading time.
I very much doubt whether it's worth keeping any of those scenery.cfg backups. Remember all they are are backups created by the various 3rd party Scenery addons at the time of their installation. If you were to uninstall a particular addon say, Scenery 'A', then it would reinstate the scenery.cfg backup which was created at the time of that original install. This would effectively disable any scenery addons installed after Scenery 'A'. You would then have to reinstate those entries in the configuration file either manually or by reinstalling each affected scenery.My advice would be to keep each scenery.cfg backup for only as long as it takes for you to feel happy about keeping each new scenery installation, then delete it.Assuming you are happy that it is working okay then the only backup you really need for scenery.cfg is a current backup.Mike

Hi y'all,One thing I noticed is that after a while the load time has increased to intolerable. There are two load times, the initial load time (startup time) after you click the FS9 icon before you get to the FS9 make flight screen, and the load time before you are sitting in the cockpit at the airport or whatever. It is this second load time that I am referring to here. My long startup time is due to extensive addon AI from myTraffic 2006 so I accept that. Anyway, when my load time gets long, I go into the scenery settings menu and un-click one item and close FS9 which I believe forces FS9 to rewrite the scenery.cfg file. I then go back in and re-enable that item, and of course I have to close FS9 one more time but it's well worth it. This procedure cuts the load time in half or better on my system. See if this works for you.Dolph

Thank you all for your help. I have removed some aircraft to a folder I named Hanger on my desk top. This did help. Unfortunately, there are always more to download and try out, so it's an ongoing battle to reduce my Aircraft folder. :( My next step is to go over my scenery addons. I did see a download on Avsim for a complete ez-scenery or other texture files and instructions how to get rid of duplicate texture files. I am sure I downloaded this but cannot find it on my computer.I have also downloaded the Flight Sim Manager and am currently trying to learn how to use it.Again, I thank you all for your input.Capt Lou