Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

Re-installed Windowsxp

I have just reformatted my C: partition and done a clean install of WindowsXP. FSX is on a separate drive (partition G) but it will no longer start. I get the message

I have just reformatted my C: partition and done a clean install of WindowsXP. FSX is on a separate drive (partition G) but it will no longer start. I get the message

Regards, Kendall

Hi Nigel, just a thought, did you install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package? That is required after SP1 for third party content. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d-389c36f85647
Actually, that is not entirely true. It is needed for any third party content that was created with Visual C++ SP1 that have dependencies on it, but it has nothing to do with FSX SP1. Most third parties would include the redist package in their installers if they need it.As for the original quesion, you would probably need to do a repair from the FSX DVD to sort out all the stuff that needs to go in the registry. Back up all third party content and changed FSX.cfg and all other modified files, because the repair tool might mess with them.

Guest UlfB
I also used the TweakFS Registry Utility for FSX by Fermin Fernandez to re-establish the path to FSX.exe in the registry.Is there something else I should have transferred back into the Window system on the C: partition?? I want to avoid a new install of FSX if possible.NigelVancouver
My guess is that the FSX installer updates the Windows Registry with a lot of data such as DLL-files and Simconnect. You could allways try to run a repair install, but since you haven't installed FSX, this option probably isn't available.

Thx Everyone for all the responses.Firstly, I found I did have MSXML 4.0 SP2 installed but I did not have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package installed. I downloaded and installed it, getting a new more descriptive message that I did not have DirectX9 installed

Guest nshahzad

I'm keeping an eye on this, I'm also thinking of doing this for when I reinstall.However, I'll also backup the entries in the registry for FS, and then give it a go.

Success!!I deleted my FSX and removed any registry entries, then did a reinstall using the same name and location. At the finish, I let FSX start and it went straight to the activation process, which concluded without problem using my activation code in the FSX box. I added SP1 and SP2 then did a complete de-frag

Guest UlfB
Success!!I deleted my FSX and removed any registry entries, then did a reinstall using the same name and location. At the finish, I let FSX start and it went straight to the activation process, which concluded without problem using my activation code in the FSX box. I added SP1 and SP2 then did a complete de-frag

I'm happy your FSX is up and running :( And thanks for your scenery Vancouver International Airport for Vancouver+ Happy Christmas and A Happy New Year :(
So am I happy! I had a bit of trouble re-installing the LevelD-767, the Flight1 ATR and the PMDG 747 but that has all been resolved now. Thx for downloading my scenery, over the three versions of FS it has worked with, there have been tens of thousands of downloads so I am very pleased at that. But exciting news is on the horizon, Jonathan Gabbert from Winnipeg is nearing completion of a new freeware version which I suspect will be a lot more frame rate friendlyh and more authentic looking. You can find more details in a link at Jon Patch's blog http://jonpatch.wordpress.com/Thx for you best wishes, I hope you had a good Christmas - we had a good Christmas except for a record breaking snowfall here over the past couple of weeks, in Vancouver which caused major disruptions her, particularly at CYVRHYNNigelps this is presumably preceded by a garbled message, I had a bad time trying to edit the quote tags!

Guest Squid2259

You all seem to know what you are talking about. Maybe you can help with my install. My problem is similar to the one described. I had to do a full re-install of XP and I have done everything I can think of to reapair my FSX. However, the guages in the EH-101 and The ACC F-18 do not work. The Heli has is dark in the VC with the exception of the GPS and the F-18 shows what look to be rudder pedals in the MFD's and there is no HUD display with the exception to the reflective image glass. Can anyone help. I have downloaded and installed MSXML 4.0 SP2 and gotten past that dilemma amd also installed C++ distributable 2008. Does the year make a difference? Do i need 2005 or is 2008 supposed to work?

I have downloaded and installed MSXML 4.0 SP2 and gotten past that dilemma amd also installed C++ distributable 2008. Does the year make a difference? Do i need 2005 or is 2008 supposed to work?
You'll need VC 2005 runtime other than 2008. Also remember to install the newest DirectX runtime. Good luck!