Sign in to follow this  
Guest shcolspw

Activate Mutiple Runway For Takeoff And Landing

Guest shcolspw

Dear all,I have download some afcads which have multiple runways being activated for takeoff and landing,but I don't know how this can be done.Can someone share with me the techniques?Many thanks!!!!

There were quite a few AFCADS published awhile back that used the "crossing runways" technique so that at busy airports all the runways would be used to avoid the pile-ups that FS's weak AI engine produces. I tried a few and personally didn't like it as the AI would be landing in all sort of weird directions with regard to the wind, etc. What I've done since is for busy airports is to designate certain runways as "takeoff" only, or "landing" only. Newark is a great example where I set 4L/22R as takeoff only, and 4R/22L as land only. Really helped with traffic flow. However, be sure and designate BOTH ends of the runway the same way or it won't take effect. If you are really asking how to make the change, then you need the AFCAD editor by Lee Swordy. Mike

Guest XQ-NUE
There were quite a few AFCADS published awhile back that used the "crossing runways" technique so that at busy airports all the runways would be used to avoid the pile-ups that FS's weak AI engine produces. I tried a few and personally didn't like it as the AI would be landing in all sort of weird directions with regard to the wind, etc. What I've done since is for busy airports is to designate certain runways as "takeoff" only, or "landing" only. Newark is a great example where I set 4L/22R as takeoff only, and 4R/22L as land only. Really helped with traffic flow. However, be sure and designate BOTH ends of the runway the same way or it won't take effect. If you are really asking how to make the change, then you need the AFCAD editor by Lee Swordy. Mike
Hi,there is a very very good manual that describes in an easy and understanable way how to make this multiple runways in use but it is in german only!

What I've done since is for busy airports is to designate certain runways as "takeoff" only, or "landing" only. Newark is a great example where I set 4L/22R as takeoff only, and 4R/22L as land only. Really helped with traffic flow. However, be sure and designate BOTH ends of the runway the same way or it won't take effect.
This seems to be common practice at a few airports in the real-world. I know Sea-Tac favors 16L-34R for take-offs and 16R-34L for landings. If Microsoft had used speed instead of whatever trigger they used for cutting off take-off clearance, it probably would have solved most of the issues. Alas, we just learn to deal with it in our own ways.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest jracer
This seems to be common practice at a few airports in the real-world. I know Sea-Tac favors 16L-34R for take-offs and 16R-34L for landings. If Microsoft had used speed instead of whatever trigger they used for cutting off take-off clearance, it probably would have solved most of the issues. Alas, we just learn to deal with it in our own ways.
I was toying with the CLT AFCAD and I seem to not be able to get the planes to land on the crosswind runway and 18R at the same time. 18L should only be for take-offs. I've already tried to assign certain runways for "landings" but since 23 is a different direction, the planes that ususally go to 18L move over to 18R. If anyone knows how to make all 3 runways in use like they did in ORD please tell me how. I'll email you the AFCAD I'm messing with. Thanks....

I was toying with the CLT AFCAD and I seem to not be able to get the planes to land on the crosswind runway and 18R at the same time. 18L should only be for take-offs. I've already tried to assign certain runways for "landings" but since 23 is a different direction, the planes that ususally go to 18L move over to 18R. If anyone knows how to make all 3 runways in use like they did in ORD please tell me how. I'll email you the AFCAD I'm messing with. Thanks....
There's a tutorial floating around I think in the scenery forum on how to do it. Having crashed into planes on the crossing runways, I've never been much of a fan of the practice personally.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest jracer
There's a tutorial floating around I think in the scenery forum on how to do it. Having crashed into planes on the crossing runways, I've never been much of a fan of the practice personally.
Thanks, I'll try to find that.....

As indicated, the "star" technique can cause the ATC engine to include a crossing runway as part of a "runway group" elligible for landings based on wind speed and direction. I'm no expert, but I think once a runway group and end is selected, other code is used in assigning a specific runway to arriving aircraft. I think part is the direction the aircraft is arriving from relative to the runways, the class of approach available (ILS, other, or none), and the ZFW of the aircraft from the aircraft.cfg. scott s..

Guest jracer
As indicated, the "star" technique can cause the ATC engine to include a crossing runway as part of a "runway group" elligible for landings based on wind speed and direction. I'm no expert, but I think once a runway group and end is selected, other code is used in assigning a specific runway to arriving aircraft. I think part is the direction the aircraft is arriving from relative to the runways, the class of approach available (ILS, other, or none), and the ZFW of the aircraft from the aircraft.cfg. scott s..
Have you used this "star" technique? If so i like for you to help me modify the KCLT AFCAD. The taxiway is made for takeoffs on 18L but the planes land right on top of them. I like to switch the landings to runway 23 when they are coming end that way. They generally don't use runway 5 for anything. Here's how it goes...36 L&R for take offs and landings. 18R, landings and take offs, 18L, take offs only, 23, landings only.Here's the airport diagram..KCLT18L & 18R are at the top of the map if you were looking down.

Guest jracer
Have you used this "star" technique? If so i like for you to help me modify the KCLT AFCAD. The taxiway is made for takeoffs on 18L but the planes land right on top of them. I like to switch the landings to runway 23 when they are coming end that way. They generally don't use runway 5 for anything. Here's how it goes...36 L&R for take offs and landings. 18R, landings and take offs, 18L, take offs only, 23, landings only.Here's the airport diagram..KCLT18L & 18R are at the top of the map if you were looking down.
bump

AT one time there was a good tutorial on the crosswind, or star technique on ProjectAI, but the old forums went away and archives were not saved.I'm not sure if any full tutorial exists today, but if you go to fsdeveloper.com forums and search for users jvile and rfields, between the two they map out all the ins and outs of the technique.In essence, what they do is create a series of small runways that vary in direction between the crosswind runways in 7.9 degree steps. They place these runways so they aren't seen and no aircraft get assigned to them. The only bug is that ATIS weather reports do see them.scott s..

and no aircraft get assigned to them. The only bug is that ATIS weather reports do see them.
The afcad I have for CYWG (my home airport) with the star runway configuration, I occasionally get assigned to land on one of the fake runways, so I have to manually request one of the 2 real ones. I occasionally hear AI getting assigned to one of the fake ones as well...Maybe this is a bugged afcad, though...

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

The afcad I have for CYWG (my home airport) with the star runway configuration, I occasionally get assigned to land on one of the fake runways, so I have to manually request one of the 2 real ones. I occasionally hear AI getting assigned to one of the fake ones as well...Maybe this is a bugged afcad, though...
No it is not a bug in AFCAD but a bug in whoever designed the AFCAD. Many AFCAD designers do not study my technique and use hear say or tutorials written by others that are also very vague in the objective of my crosswind runway technique. It is very easy to set up a crosswind technique and see multiple runways being used but my technique also included the simple fact that certain runways must have a zero runway selection score. If the scoring system of runway selection that FS9 uses is not lowered to zero including the additional runways not being moved to the north pole then ATC will direct you and other planes to use a runway that does not exist at your airport.The crosswind runway technique has nothing to do with how FS uses default parallel runways at Newark or Sea-TakThe crosswind runway techmique has nothing to do with closing one end of a runway like 05 at KCLT vs keeping RWY 23 open or the 2 additional parallel runways. That comes under the rules of lowering the score system used for RWY 05 vs RWY 23 and which end of the runway in FS9 is the base end vs the recip end.The crosswind runway technique is not for every airport in FS9 and can cause quartering tailwind landings if the AFCAD designer once again does not know how to set up the primary runway as the wind deciding runway. As AFCAD designers learned about the crosswind runway technique that I released in July 2004 too many shortcuts in AFCADs started to surface causing problems the user would see. The crosswind runway technique is for certain airports that need another runway open just like in real world to handle certain traffic levels at certain times of the day. Certain airports that qualify for additional runways to be open same as real world would be KLAS, EHAM or KMIA as an example. Airport runway usage has to be studied by the AFCAD designer in order to understand if that airport qualifies for multiple runway operations both in real world and the FS9 world. Any tutorial you read does not have my endorsement because as of this date no one has ever contacted me and ask if the tutorial is accurate or not prior to release. The tutorials that I have read do not even resemble how a proper set of crosswind runways must be set up for everything to work correctly. This was all explained on the old PAI forum which is now gone. Both Reggie and myself including Scott have posted on FSDeveloper (AFCAD forum) when users need help with activating a crossing runway so see Scotts post above.AFCAD can be used to set up the crosswind runway technique but in doing so AFCAD also loses certain airport data that must be repaired. Since I am one of the developers of ADE for FSX Deluxe I gave Jon the code to automated my crosswind runway technique in that airport design utility. ADE does not need repairing like AFCAD once a runway is a active crosswind and the lowering of the score system is not exposed to the designer. Many technical issues are under the hood of ADE so it is done the correct way without having to have tutorials written. When the ACES group designed FS9 and FSX they can do things with the Flight Sim that we can not replicate. Any runway that was added to a FS9's default airport database and then closed (many airports have those) the ATIS code was removed so ATC does not say that runway number. That is done with the .dll files and I refuse to tamper with or upload any of FS9's .dll files to public web sites. We add a runway and then close it but have no simple way of keeping ATC from saying those runway numbers as long as the airport is VMC. If you fly into a airport on a IFR FP and the airport is IMC then ATIS does not spout out all those numbers for the active landing runways. How can ATC say the runway number since they are visual zreo score runways that do not have precision or non-precision approach data written.Many users complain about the crosswind technique causes planes to be assigned runways that do not exist, ATIS saying things it shouldn't, Airplanes landing the wrong way, missed approaches, more then one airplane on a runway, etc..If you see some of that then throw the AFCAD away because the designer does not know what they are doing.

No it is not a bug in AFCAD but a bug in whoever designed the AFCAD.
That's what I meant, a bugged afcad file, not the afcad program itself.. :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE