Sign in to follow this  
Ted Striker

Clean Os Install Guide For Fsx?

I'm afraid that I've corrupted my system and need to reformat and rebuild it as half my applications will no longer open, including FSX, copy+paste, windows firewall, system restore. I've been able to get explorer and internet explorer working again, but I think the system is too messed up to try and salvage. Especially if this was caused by a virus instead of just a bone head action on my part.I have been searching the various FS forums today but have not been able to locate a good guide on doing a clean install of XPSP2 for FSX. I have found many on performing a clean install of FSX and optimizing both the OS and FSX after they are installed, but none that get you up to installing FSX. What I am specifically looking for is the relative order to install the following items after the base XPSP2 files on the cd have been installed:1) Latest hardware drivers: chipset, video card, sound card, etc.2) XP SP33) Windows updates4) Direct X5) A list of anything else like xml, intel accelerator, dot net, or any other software that FSX needs but doesn't get installed automatically by windows update.6) Anti virus7) FirewallI'm assuming that some of the above are dependent on others to load or install correctly. If anyone knows of a thread or link to a guide for installing your OS and other system software prior to installing FSX I'd appreciate you posting it here. My main question is whether to install the latest hardware drivers or the service packs and windows updates first.Thanks,Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

You may wish to do 6 & 7 IMMEDIATELY if you do not have a hardware firewall/router protecting your system.#1 is a good #1, and the remainder can be done in any order you prefer, keeping SP3 prior to any Windows Updates so as to not waste time! -Greg

Guest Nick_N
I'm afraid that I've corrupted my system and need to reformat and rebuild it as half my applications will no longer open, including FSX, copy+paste, windows firewall, system restore. I've been able to get explorer and internet explorer working again, but I think the system is too messed up to try and salvage. Especially if this was caused by a virus instead of just a bone head action on my part.I have been searching the various FS forums today but have not been able to locate a good guide on doing a clean install of XPSP2 for FSX. I have found many on performing a clean install of FSX and optimizing both the OS and FSX after they are installed, but none that get you up to installing FSX. What I am specifically looking for is the relative order to install the following items after the base XPSP2 files on the cd have been installed:1) Latest hardware drivers: chipset, video card, sound card, etc.2) XP SP33) Windows updates4) Direct X5) A list of anything else like xml, intel accelerator, dot net, or any other software that FSX needs but doesn't get installed automatically by windows update.6) Anti virus7) FirewallI'm assuming that some of the above are dependent on others to load or install correctly. If anyone knows of a thread or link to a guide for installing your OS and other system software prior to installing FSX I'd appreciate you posting it here. My main question is whether to install the latest hardware drivers or the service packs and windows updates first.Thanks,Ted
For any FSX install.. this is the correct method of installing FSX and addonshttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1511382Links to FSX tuning can be found at the end of the 2nd post in this thread...http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1208959973and if you wish to optimize the system itself you will find all the information you need in the first 5-6 posts in that threadgood luck and Happy holidays!

Guest djt01
I have been searching the various FS forums today but have not been able to locate a good guide on doing a clean install of XPSP2 for FSX. I have found many on performing a clean install of FSX and optimizing both the OS and FSX after they are installed, but none that get you up to installing FSX. What I am specifically looking for is the relative order to install the following items after the base XPSP2 files on the cd have been installed:
Once the reformat process is complete make sure you install SP3 and then the chipset drivers, followed by the latest DirextX update and your network controller.Then grab the latest Windows updates from Microsoft, followed by your video card drivers and sound card drivers. The chipset drivers, SP3, latest DirectX update, network controller, video card and sound card drivers should be downloaded and burned to CD prior to the Windows installation. You should limit your exposure to the internet to just Windows updates when finishing your fresh OS install. During the reformat process

Thanks for the replies guys. Based on those I'm going to take a stab at listing a mini clean XP installation for FSX guide. If anyone sees any problems, ommissions, errors or has any additions please comment.Download and save on removable media all the drivers and software that you think you will need in advance. Having a working second computer nearby with internet access will come in handy if you forget any.Install in the following order and reboot between each step:1) Reformat Drive and install XP from the CD you have.2) Install latest XP Service Pack3) Install Chipset driver4) Install latest Direct X software5) Install other hardware drivers rebooting after each one6) Install Antivirus7) Turn on windows firewall, connect to the internet, and download windows updates.8) Go to Nick's guides for directions on installing FSX and optimizing it all9) If it works, go to you favorite place of worship to give thanks.Appreciate the input,Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Guest djt01
Thanks for the replies guys. Based on those I'm going to take a stab at listing a mini clean XP installation for FSX guide. If anyone sees any problems, ommissions, errors or has any additions please comment.Download and save on removable media all the drivers and software that you think you will need in advance. Having a working second computer nearby with internet access will come in handy if you forget any.Install in the following order and reboot between each step:1) Reformat Drive and install XP from the CD you have.2) Install latest XP Service Pack3) Install Chipset driver4) Install latest Direct X software5) Install other hardware drivers rebooting after each one6) Install Antivirus7) Turn on windows firewall, connect to the internet, and download windows updates.8) Go to Nick's guides for directions on installing FSX and optimizing it all9) If it works, go to you favorite place of worship to give thanks.Appreciate the input,Ted
Read through the guide from abxzone carefully

Read through the guide from abxzone carefully

Guest djt01
Shouldn't an anti-virus be installed before you get online to get the windows updates?Ted
No, you should only be connecting to Microsoft

No, you should only be connecting to Microsoft