Sign in to follow this  
Guest GAMER

I Just Realized Somthing.

Guest GAMER

I have absolutely no chance of running this program at all. :( The specs call for: Mininimum - 3GHz or multi-core processor, 1GB RAM, WinXP SP2/VistaBest Performance - Dual or Quad Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 512MB Gfx Card, WinXP SP2. MS FSX with Service Pack 2 (or later) installedIt must be way more demanding than the PMDG 747 I was running in FS9. I have a 1.8 gig processor and 2 gigs of ram. This is an absolute bummer.Michael p.

Keep in mind you're looking at the FSX version specs, not the FS9 version. Two completely different things.If you can run the 747, you should be able to run the MD-11 as well. :(

Guest GAMER
Keep in mind you're looking at the FSX version specs, not the FS9 version. Two completely different things.If you can run the 747, you should be able to run the MD-11 as well. :(
That's good to hear, as I flew a lot of hours in the 747 using my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop, with no problems. The frame rate are better than the 737.Michael P.

Yes, I'm not worried about FPS at all. I've changed my PC a few months ago and it runs heavy addons very fine.All I'm uncertain about is the OOMs. 744 definitely gave me some....I will not apply the 3GB switch for various reasons (none of them is my bad will).But I'm optimistic and plan to buy MD-11 anyway.Best regards,Rafal

Rafal,what are your system specs. and have you ever thought about getting a 64bit OS? That way OOMs would be gone forever paired with 4GB of system RAM.Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Markus,thanks for asking!My system specs are:FS9.1Windows XP Home SP2Intel Core Duo E8400 3GHz2GB RAMASUS P5KCNvidia GeForce 8800GTThe reason I do not want to switch is that I'm afraid of any side effects.I do not have a separate PC for flying. This is also my work machine.Plus I heard there are AES problems after applying the switch.As for the 64bit system, well, a nice idea.But that means another money for me. You know: new op system plus MD-11 makes a lot.My wife wouldn't be happy about that. ;)Best regards,Rafal

Rafal,alright well with 2GB of RAM either course of action will not help you fighting the OOMs. For both you'd need 3GB of RAM or more to be of use.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Thanks, Markus!Buying another 1 or 2 GB of RAM is something I can do and will probably do.If only it might help, as you say, it sounds like a good idea.Though I heard OOMs do not have much to do with the physical amount of RAM.Which doesn't change the fact 1GB more won't bite, will it?Best regards,Rafal

Rafal,it will help in your case but as long as you don't use a 64bit OS then it is not guaranteed that OOMs will go away.Those OOMs do have to do with the physical amount of RAM, but also with the OS you are using so it's both. If you do have 3GB of RAM or more but use a 32bit OS you will have to use that so called '3G Switch' to prevent OOMs from happening. This works for MOST users but there are those who still get OOMs from time to time that way. And if you want to get rid of OOMs once and for all you use a 64bit OS. Of course you can try the first method to see if it works for you before you buy the new OS. If it works for you and there are no side effects affecting you then all is fine with the '3G Switch'.If you're going to upgrade the RAM I suggest you buy 2GB so you can have it running in Dual Channel configuration. If you presently have 2x 1GB on your mainboard you would buy another 2x 1GB, if you have 1x 2GB you would buy another 2GB module. Just be aware that XP 32bit can only address a bit over 3GB of that RAM and not the full 4GB, you would need a 64bit OS for that.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

OK Markus,thanks for your excellent help.I will buy extra 2GB following your advice. I know it will not guarantee OOM solution. PMDD744 is the only addon aircraft that would give me that problem more than once. But I understand it is due to some kind of complex coding that contributes to making it such an excellent addon.I like it very much, so... I'm still using it! I've done all possible cleaning (including AI textures, landclasses and sceneries) in my FS and I had only one or two OOMs during last two months. That is optimistic. I believe MD-11 will be even better, so I will take risks and see how things go.I have a feeling we've come to another edge now (yes, there can be more than one).First we had to agree on the fact that new addons require better CPUs and GPUs. So we've made the investments.Now it becomes clear that we also need to upgrade our systems (into 64bit).Flight Simulation is demanding. At least if we're not satisfied with defaults of easy freeware and really need to make it as real as it gets.And now GIVE ME THE MD-11! :( Best regards,Rafal

Guest GAMER

So 2 gigs of ram won't be enough? :( Michael P.

Early during MD11 for FSX beta, I was running a P4 with 2Gb in XP and it ran very well. I'm sure it will be okay with the MD11 for FS9. 'Just my own experience, others may have different experience depending on configuration and add-ons.

Dan Downs KCRP

So 2 gigs of ram won't be enough? :(
Basically it is enough. The question is what add-ons are you using the MD-11 with. If you use the MD-11 with high-detail scenery, mesh, full AI-traffic, weather add-on with lots of cloud layers, all sliders maxed or high then it might be that you'll get OOMs because it is too much for 2GB. But the MD-11 itself will run just fine, it's the combination that determines if 2GB is enough and this is not at all limited to PMDG, can happen with other aircraft add-ons as well.So in case you will get OOMs it won't be PMDGs fault as the MD-11 basically works with 2GB. If you get those errors you will have a few options to cure them. If you do we will of course help you on how to get rid of them.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

The technical answer on what causes the OOMs is actually something known as User Virtual Address Space (User VA for short). Under normal conditions, XP or Vista 32-bit is limiting that to 2GB - this is what the /3GB switch raises. It's essentially the maximum memory that the OS can map a particular application's resources to. If you watch using something like Process Explorer, you'll see that FS crashes right when its process exceeds 2GB of User VA. Vista or XP 64-bit have a 16 exabyte limit. (that's over 16.7 million terabytes) It's gonna take us a while to reach that level lol...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The reason I do not want to switch is that I'm afraid of any side effects.I do not have a separate PC for flying. This is also my work machine.Plus I heard there are AES problems after applying the switch.As for the 64bit system, well, a nice idea.But that means another money for me. You know: new op system plus MD-11 makes a lot.My wife wouldn't be happy about that. ;)Best regards,Rafal
Hi Rafal, I perfectly respect your decision to not use the 3/GB switch. The 3/GB switch is generally not recommended and can cause other issues.However should you decide that flying your PMDG products worth a little additional effort there is an absolutely risk free method of adding the switch.What a lot of people do when adding the switch is simply add /3GB behind their boot line. When the switch is added by this method there is no option but to boot the system using full 3GB memory to the user. This can cause havoc for two reasons; first a large memory card or other system devices can be deprived of much needed address spacing, if insufficient system addressing is available certain DL

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.