Sign in to follow this  

Flap problem

Tell me, in some aircraft I get, if you put the flaps down full, you can't pull up the aircraft, the nose keeps pitching down, and that is a nightmare when trying to land. Any fixes?Thanks,Aer Solas MOSAer Solassolaer@eircom.net

Guest Cpt_Simoty

Hey there,What type of aircraft are you talking about? Light aircraft? Its true that in a cessna for example when you apply the flaps the nose will pitch downwards the use of trim will makes this easier to hold. If the trim really does not hold it then there must be a fault in the aircraft config with I know nothing about. Another solution maybe that when you apply the flaps you need to increase the engine power to over come the drag of the wing surface area increasing. In the 737 when landing, in a typical flap 30 landing the power setting will be about 55% (N1). This shows that there is a need for engine power to over come the drag.If you need help on trimming then please ask, if these points do not help then im sorry. :-)All the very bestSimon

For example, Mike Stones Lockheed tristar 1011, or there is a AA B727 advanced over at flightsim.com with a flightsim gold medal for excellance in design, or a My Travel Lite A320 over at simviation.comI never had a problem with the Cessna.Thanks,Aer Solas MOSAer Solassolaer@eircom.net

Guest Cpt_Simoty

Hello there again.Ok those aircraft sound like they are good aircraft. The issue now I think is the trim and speed settings. You need to find out what these are as these will be key. For example you fly the 737 on approach at about 140kts (very average). Maybe try finding the approach speed for the aircraft you are flying. Also trim the aircraft back so as to take the pressure off of you.Are you ok with trimming?All the bestSimon

Ah, maybe you had better talk me through trimming?Thanks Simon, by the way, you can call me Michael.Michael.Aer Solas MOSAer Solassolaer@eircom.net

Guest Cpt_Simoty

Hello there again!Ok let me explain the basics of it.In flight the wing is designed to create lift, changing the shape of the wing, by using flaps will increase this lift but also produce alot of drag. Also the nose of the aircraft will tend to pitch downwards. To react to this the pilot must pull the stick/yoke back to maintain a health rate of decent. However this can be a lot of work. To help with this workload there is a little tab on the elevator that can be moved up and down in the same motion as the elevator to help with the flying. Its a little hard to explain without showing you.In flightsim the buttons for trim that are set up are 7 and 1 on the number key pad. Make sure you have Numlock tho. When the aircraft wants to pitch down as you say it does then press the 1 key on the number pad several times and watch that the craft will rise up. decrease you stick pressure and the trim will begin to hold some of this pressure that you were holding. If the craft pitches up then use the 7 key to trim down wards. The idea is to help maintain certain attitudes, be climb, level or desent flight.Hope this helpsAll the bestSimon

Thanks Simon.I have used that many times actully, but I find it very hard because you are right, you must tap the button several times, but then it rises into a very steep climb, and then if you hit the button to go down, it gets into a very steep fall, and you tap to go up again and keeps going in that patern.....What if I trim up, and then use the yoke to control the aircraft?I use the CH flight yoke.Thanks Simon,Michael. Aer Solas MOSAer Solassolaer@eircom.net

Guest Steve K

I use a CH Flight Sim Yoke myself and I've mapped the trim control to a button on the yoke. It's a lot easier than doing it with your keyboard. It's easy to do and it should help your flying tremendously.

Yeah, I would use the trim button on the yoke as well, but I have the same problem. Is there a gauge in the cockpit to tell you what your current trim is?Thanks,Michael.Aer Solas MOSAer Solassolaer@eircom.net

Guest Cpt_Simoty

Hey Yes there is a guage in the aircraft, however i do not know which panel you are using. Please can you post a screenshot of the panel so that I can see and i'll try and help you. Ive even forgotten on the FS737. Sorry about thatSimon

All right Simon, I will get you one tomorrow and try and post it.How do I post a picture here?I won't be on FS2002 tonight so I will take it tomorrow.Thanks Simon,Michael.Aer Solas MOSAer Solassolaer@eircom.net

I will get the pictures later on today Simon.Thanks,Michael.Aer Solas MOSAer Solassolaer@eircom.net

Right Simon, here are the pictures I promised you.The top one is Mike Stones Lockheed Tristar 1011 panel,the bottom one is the 727 panel I told you about.I am sure you know what the 737-400 FS2002 defaut panel looks like, I use that with the My Travel Lite A320.Hope that helps.Michael.Aer Solas MOSCEO,Aircraft Management,Aer SolasAer Solas E-mail: solaer@eircom.netAer Solas Website (NOT YET OPEN!): http://homepage.eircom.net/~solaerhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e9022ec37be3de3.jpg