Sign in to follow this  
shermank

Multi Crew Experience

Ah right, something to think about if I go down this route. I see what you mean about speed, that changes the speed of the voice.Glad to see very little if any FPS drop is discernible. Is there anyway of speeding up the time between me telling it a command and it executing that command?I need to sort the voice, It's not right, it's intermitant at best & prone to missing bits out.
Make sure following options are switched ON in General tab of the user interface- Enable optimizations- More responsivenessMike calibration is also very important.If the mike is poorly calibrated, it will try to process any environmental noise, thus wasting precious resources.MCE is very mean with resources. After all, the most important thing is the Simulator responsiveness. We could have set MCE threads to a much higher priority levels, but that could be at the expense of the simulator.With usage, responsiveness will improve.Do not overdo speech training though.Just perform a few flights, and you will notice improvements as time goes by.Are you using a USB headset or a conventional one. If it's the latter, what sound device is it connected to?Geral ReillyOn behalf of the FS++ team

Hi,Thanks for the heads up Bryan. I had heard you were considering voice command on the FS2Crew module.I am VERY keen on the LvLD767, it is all I fly as a rule, with the exception of some VFR flying around the UK in light a/c & gliders. The point I like about MCE is the ability to flick/turn every switch dial & knob at a voice command (with at present the exception of the FMC) and the ability to tweak the checklists (not every carrier is the same after all) & the worry I had about FS2Crew was the adherance to the script that I have heard mentioned in reviews.Interesting to hear the ETA is sooner rather than later. Will your module allow the copilot to program the FMC? This would really help on the LONG flightplan inputs of 10+ pages it's a bit of a norm for me!When you say less script bound? Sorry how do you mean? I Presume I can change headings/heights/flick a Xover pump on when ever I want without scripting issues? Could I do those via voice on FS2Crew, will every switch etc be voice controlled? How does it handle unscripted issues? ie FL375 sudden decompress? Would that throw it out of sink as you would head for 10,000ft very quickly without saying much if anything for a minute or so maybe only emergency oxygen?However Voice command is the only way to go in my opinion for these complex a/c, I find especially with TrackIR hitting a mouse on a heading bug which is moving whilst turning onto base leg talking to ATC, adjusting your height, dealing with the fact ATC have converged you on a course with a 747 on finals meaning a go around, telling the wife "no her bum does not look big in that" and throwing the ball for the dog because she looks sad and lonely is a bit much!RegardsDarrenPittnuma
Hello Darren,The LDS 767 Voice version won't control every single switch; that's not the goal. FS2Crew does airline crew simulations first and foremost, so the main focus is to model flight crew interaction in a realistic way. So voice control is being implemented with that in mind, in that context.The 767 Voice versions will follow the same SOPs used from the old 'button control' version, and those come from a UK based airline.The FO won't be able to program the FMC... that needs to be done a by a human I'm afraid!As for flexibility, it's hard to describe. But you can see it in the newer Voice versions, such as those for the PMDG J41 and Maddog Editions.Best,

Guest Pittnuma
Make sure following options are switched ON in General tab of the user interface- Enable optimizations- More responsivenessMike calibration is also very important.If the mike is poorly calibrated, it will try to process any environmental noise, thus wasting precious resources.MCE is very mean with resources. After all, the most important thing is the Simulator responsiveness. We could have set MCE threads to a much higher priority levels, but that could be at the expense of the simulator.With usage, responsiveness will improve.Do not overdo speech training though.Just perform a few flights, and you will notice improvements as time goes by.Are you using a USB headset or a conventional one. If it's the latter, what sound device is it connected to?Geral ReillyOn behalf of the FS++ team
Hi Geral,It is a std 370 Plantronics headset connected to my onoard sound mobo. Asus P7P55 (which is VIA audio) I do have on order an ASUS Xonar DX but that will not be here until next week by which time the demo will have run out anyway!RegardsDarrenPittEFC-674

Guest Pittnuma
Hello Darren,The LDS 767 Voice version won't control every single switch; that's not the goal. FS2Crew does airline crew simulations first and foremost, so the main focus is to model flight crew interaction in a realistic way. So voice control is being implemented with that in mind, in that context.The 767 Voice versions will follow the same SOPs used from the old 'button control' version, and those come from a UK based airline.The FO won't be able to program the FMC... that needs to be done a by a human I'm afraid!As for flexibility, it's hard to describe. But you can see it in the newer Voice versions, such as those for the PMDG J41 and Maddog Editions.Best,
Thanks Bryan I understand it will not do all switches and I conceed the FMC on either program is not really necessary to be programmed, I presume the main 1's are? Heading, altitude etc, LNAV,VNAV,APP? I presume you can change these whenever you like without the script getting out of sync. Does your software have a demo version?1 other query, I only fly from the VC do any menus work in VC and more importantly can they be hidden?Sorry for the queries.

Thanks Bryan I understand it will not do all switches and I conceed the FMC on either program is not really necessary to be programmed, I presume the main 1's are? Heading, altitude etc, LNAV,VNAV,APP? I presume you can change these whenever you like without the script getting out of sync. Does your software have a demo version?1 other query, I only fly from the VC do any menus work in VC and more importantly can they be hidden?Sorry for the queries.Darren
Hi Darren,Of course all the autopilot switches will be accessible like voice control.It's the things that the pilot would generally never call for in flight that we don't bother linking to voice control (ie., IRS switches, etc., things you'd only touch on the ground).You can use the VC no problem.Unlike other voice control programs, FS2Crew does voice control not for the sake of voice control alone, but rather to make using the airline procedures we model more realistic to use.In other words, our true focus is modeling airline crew procedures: the voice control is just a means to that end.Demo: No demo as demos have a very nasty habit of being hacked by the pirates shortly after release.But just go to YouTube and search for "FS2Crew Voice". You'll see a lot of videos there, some created by me, some created by users.You can also checkout the very active FS2Crew support forum, which is located here at Avsim.

Guest Pittnuma

Thanks Bryan,Is the 767 Voice you are working on a seperate product to the 767 version already out or will that be an update to the existing product?

Thanks Bryan,Is the 767 Voice you are working on a seperate product to the 767 version already out or will that be an update to the existing product?
It's a 100 percent total code re-write, so it will be separate.There is not one scrap of code that will be the same between the Voice version and the old "button control" style.Same overall concept, but radically different from an internal point of view.Cheers,

Guest Pittnuma
It's a 100 percent total code re-write, so it will be separate.There is not one scrap of code that will be the same between the Voice version and the old "button control" style.Same overall concept, but radically different from an internal point of view.Cheers,
Understood thanks Brian, no purchase yet if I choose FS2.

Guest Pittnuma

I'm afraid MSE will have to come off for me, it's not for me, however I can understand how others would like it.I have it running fairly smoothly now but that electronic voice cannot be overlooked for me.I am going to hang fire for FS2Crew and give that a whirl.

I don't buy the argument about not being able to provide a demo due to piracy concerns.The truth is that it is much easier to seduce potential customers with highly edited promotional videos.It doesn't matter, if you later have to tell them that they just need a better microphone, do more speech training, or consider upgrading their computer, to run the thing properly. First we are told that the pre-recorded speech is much better than voice fonts, and to some extent it is, but now we hear that it's impossible to record everything, like airport names etc

As the owner of both products, I have to say MCE is far superior to FS2CREW, IMHO. Although FS2CREW is a nice program, it's still script driven, at least the 737 models are. In fact, I believe it's specifically coded in a script fashion to reduce the number of misinterpretations by the application (i.e. the app won't set your flaps when you're cruising at 470kts)? Also, because the developers can dictate the sequence of events, they can use pre-recorded voice sets? However, MSE is completely non-scripted; you can issue a command anytime/anywhere. Here are some of the advantages I've noted:MCE100% customizable; You can create and edit checklist. You can also set the limits for monitoring (i.e. I can tell the virtual co-pilot to notify me when I exceed xx of the IAS, ALT, or Flaps settings)Communicate via voice to RC4, default ATC, and ground crews.Instruct your copilot to obtain the latest wx for you.Instruct your copilot to perform a sequence of actions (e.g. start engines, perform after landing actions, and more...)Speech interpretation; there are literary over 1000 combinations you can use. For example, lets say I want to issue a command instructing the F/O to set the speed. You can use any of these phrases: <THE_SPEED> refers to the actual speed value you want to be dialed, example,

Matt King

Flexibility, I can use most, if not all, of MCE features with any aircraft.
All right, I propose we have a flightsim "rumble"... :( I can't believe I wrote that :( Let's have an independent reviewer (no, no personal friends of the developers or beta testers who write "reviews" that look more like advertising literature...) compare and contrast the latest version of MCE with the latest version of FS2Crew, which is for the PMDG Jetstream.I'm game for this.

Guest Pittnuma
All right, I propose we have a flightsim "rumble"... :( I can't believe I wrote that :( Let's have an independent reviewer (no, no personal friends of the developers or beta testers who write "reviews" that look more like advertising literature...) compare and contrast the latest version of MCE with the latest version of FS2Crew, which is for the PMDG Jetstream.I'm game for this.
Good idea, sounds good to me, there are no side by side comparisons that I could find. Need a seasoned campaigner to do this. Preferably 1 who is familiar with the Jetstream (not my "cup of tea" for an a/c, but that's just me).

There's only one person for this job.......Alan Bradbury (Chock). More honest, impartial, fair and informative they do not come. You should PM him.