Sign in to follow this  

CBC's story on Swissair Flight 111...

Guest abent

Did anyone else see this documentary last night on The Nature of Things with David Suzuki? It was a very interesting analysis and recreation of the suspected contributing factors to the tragedy. It provided some interesting insights into the nature of materials used in the construction of aircraft and the safety issues associated with these materials. There was also a debate on the safety cost analysis used by major carriers.No doubt it will be aired again at some point in the near future and it's definetly worth viewing. Adam

I missed it, but I did see the press confrence where the guy who lead the investigation presented his report. I thought it was amazing how much detail they put togther from the assembled airplane parts, especially when you consider that it went down in the ocean. The investigators did a great job. It's unbeleivable and tragic that flamable materials were used in the wire and other insulation. The passengers and crew of flight 111 didn't stand a chance.

Guest abent

Yes, a monumental task reconstructing the plane. The detail was amazing. Gives one a healthy respect for what these investigators must go through when determining a cause. The footage of the internals of the aircraft was, to say the least, extensive and makes one a little more aware of the complexity of one of these aircraft. WOW! :-eek Adam

Hi all,that was a particularly good documentary. Unlike a lot of other programmes of the kind, which are quickly put together after the fact, here the film crew followed the investigators for the length of the investigation - all four years of it. Definitely compelling viewing. I hope it's repeated some time for the people who missed it.Cheers,Gostahttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I watched it yes, I have been in that hanger and seen all of that, it is amazing how the pieces of the plane are bent like that. I will not forget the day it happened, so close to home :(