Sign in to follow this  
JET 1

Asa Question On Wx-influenced Textures

HiCould you elaborate a little bit more on how this system works?I hope I have not understood correctly that if the user wants to have wx-influenced texture sets, he would first have to "teach" ASA by taking snapshots of situations where he thinks the textures best depict current weather? This I mean compared to previous versions where the selection was made automatically by the program according to air stability and other variables. I'm not a meteorologist, so I would much rather have the program automatically select the most realistic textures for any given situation.And what if the user does not own any wx graphic addons, such as ASG or FE? He's stuck with default/freeware textures?

HiCould you elaborate a little bit more on how this system works?I hope I have not understood correctly that if the user wants to have wx-influenced texture sets, he would first have to "teach" ASA by taking snapshots of situations where he thinks the textures best depict current weather? This I mean compared to previous versions where the selection was made automatically by the program according to air stability and other variables. I'm not a meteorologist, so I would much rather have the program automatically select the most realistic textures for any given situation.And what if the user does not own any wx graphic addons, such as ASG or FE? He's stuck with default/freeware textures?
Hi, most of your questions can be answered in this thread: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=237538.If you don't have any graphics add-ons then yes, you won't have any graphic add-on textures. ASA does not include a graphics product, just like ASX (although we did have a bundle deal with XG). FE or ASG (included with AS6) works very well and is highly recommended. For FSX, XG, FEX, REX are some great add-ons.XG and ASG now have automatic import capability using a new feature we just put together. With one click you can create any number of sets for ASA to use. You still get full wx-influenced capabiity that is even more refined, and with the new snapshot system, there is much greater flexibility and easier control when used with multiple add-ons together.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi DamianThanks for the link, changed my impression on it but I guess I'd have to see and try it to understand fully.That's my problem really, I've been looking forward to this release but I'm still a little hesitant to buy it as it is still, after a lot of reading, unclear to me how does ASA change things over AS6.5 for an FS9 user like me?The comparison page lists the most important features which essentially seem to be the same for both products. The main differences I recoqnize are the new graphical look and this snapshot feature.My needs are really simple

• I need a wx engine that I can load a flight plan into and expect it to render the current weather including aloft conditions as realistically as possible, this includes selecting the most appropriate textures package. Other than that, I just like the wx program to be as transparent as possible, but internally advanced
  • For planning I use real world sig wx, prognosis and upper wind/temp charts.
  • I don't use the wx radar, unless somehow it could be overlaid on top of some of the best add-on aircraft (I think you'd have a winner if you could work with say Level-d on this one)
  • I dont use the flightwatch/atis feature very much as my ATC program provides 200nm ATIS and an ACARS wx grab function
  • I rarely use the wx configuration functions

As a long-time user of FS9, I feel that maybe AS6.5 already hit the simulator limit in terms of what can be done with weather depiction? I hope I'm wrong though, but please, advertise and hype me silly, that's the only way to make me buy this one :(