Sign in to follow this  
Guest kwilson

Megasceneryearth

Thanks Paavo for clearing that up, as far as your not part of the developement team. For a wile I thought you were either part of Aerosoft's or FlyTampa's dev team since I see posts by you in both places often. Now you just need your Kramer avatar here :( Actually, I didn't realize until I after I posted that the .agn files aren't the scenery tiles. I guess that would be the .bgl's. I thought at a glance they were the .agn file since they were in the texture file. I guess what I need is a utility to open the .bgl, fix the coloring at least in photoshop, then recompile the .bgl. Does this sound right? I don't want to mess with the autogen.BTW, I enjoyed the Tucson area you guys did for FS9. Being from Tucson and having spent much of my life there, as well as starting my flight training there, it was really cool finally having photo scenery.
You would need the source imagery to correct the color, that can't be done from the bgl's, with FSX the imagery is in the bgl's for photoscenery, probably why it confused you, read my earlier response to holger about the pains of working in photoshop with large imagery.Thanks for the kind words about Tucson, and make sure and download Kevin's Tuscon photoscenery for FSXBTW, your avatar is much better than Kramer, who is that ?

BTW, your avatar is much better than Kramer, who is that ?
It's me, just kidding :( It's my girlfriend. She told me that I spend to much time with this flight sim stuff, so I told her that I will use her pic as my avatar so that I will have her in front of me while I am reading the forums, lol. Didn't help much, she still thinks that this flight sim stuff is ridiculous :( If she wasn't so nice and so easy on the eyes I would have probably given her the boot :(

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's me, just kidding :( It's my girlfriend. She told me that I spend to much time with this flight sim stuff, so I told her that I will use her pic as my avatar so that I will have her in front of me while I am reading the forums, lol. Didn't help much, she still thinks that this flight sim stuff is ridiculous :( If she wasn't so nice and so easy on the eyes I would have probably given her the boot :(
She is to hot to be your GF................JK.

Paavo it's not conspiracy theory it's truth... I started this process way back during the FSX beta long before Megascenery had any plans to do this, I have been working on this for a long time.You make accusations about being full of myself... No humility is defined as knowing who you are and not having an inflated image of yourself. There's superior pride and inferior pride, superior pride says I'm better than everyone else without basis, inferior pride says I'm a nothing I'm a nobody. Humility is saying this is the truth about who I am and I'll prove that in an image sequence later in this post...In so far as Utah, yeah we intially planned a price point similar to Horizon but realized that was just a ridiculous pricing system and completely out of line with data availability and cost.In so far as Utah, we have always guaranteed that it would be finished and the reason why we started with $24.99 when we launched was to get the ball rolling and offer a relatively risk free purchase. With our investors the hard drives are owned by them until our contract with them is fulfilled. I am a both a Christian and a missionary and I honor my commitments and my word, you can ask any of my customers, I have been around flight simulator since FS 1.0 and I've seen developers come and go... There are a few people who are FS constants, Megascenery is one, FS Genesis is another, and while I've not publicly been developing stuff till the F-14 Top Gun Tomcats Effects and Upgrade package for FS2004 I've spent since 2002 doing R&D on various projects few of which I have ever mentioned because they are cutting edge... I plan to be around the Flight Simulator world for a long time to come... BTW the Top Gun Tomcats are the 8th most popular download for FS2004 at www.flightsim.com and won the FlightSim.com developer's award...I respect Megascenery and PC Aviator but there are a lot of factors behind the scene that you don't know about and which I'm not at liberty to discuss but I know what's been happening and I don't even have to prove that to you, that's beside the point...Here's a couple of screenshots to illustrate the difference...All images showing actual water are FS Dreamscapes and all our water will accurately reflect where water and land meet, the second shots show where the Megascenery water is and how much land is obliterated by their watermapping...fsdvsmse%38%300.gifSecond sequence starts with MSE and shows exactly what you will find with their water mapping for Utah, it is inaccurate and runs out even though the river continues. Our stuff will match almost 100% where *all* waterbodies are across all states... The split screen shot is showing the difference in color correction and while our color correction has been revised for when we do version 2.0 it's a little bit lighter in this first pass but we already have corrected that for the final version...fsdvsmse2%38%300.gifYou'll also notice image quality between MSE and FSD, ours is clearer and sharper and the greens are not turned to black...Paavo, the proof will be in the pudding and I don't care if you're hard on me or not, we'll prove any false statements wrong and we're still going to lead in this area regardless of what someone might believe...Utah is almost complete to phase one, sans water which will be implemented later in 2009... Our next state will have water coverage that will blow you away with it's accuracy and detail...Anyway I need to get back to work... :-)I'm not taking anything personally, I just know things from the inside out and time will tell if I'm telling you the truth or not ;-)

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

I have an issue with you thinking that telling people where to find free imagaery is some kind of huge secret that nobody but you can figure out, andt selling photoscenery piecemeal is some unique and special idea, let me ask you this.If Dan and I had released our PNW as planned, selling it by county would you accuse us of stealing your unique IP of selling a product ?Like I said before, we thought of doing it that way long before we saw your website and what you planned, I'm sorry, but there is nothing special about common sense.It's not hard to make better photoscenery than megascenery, just a mountain of work. I know their watermasking sucks, I have all the major rivers that have their source at Mt. Rainier watermasked all the way to Puget Sound, I even made them a custom brown color like it is in real life ( there are no blue rivers here ) in our scenery. The only river with watermasking in MS is the Puyallup river, and it ends before Orting, plus the color is way off.Anyway, please, make us a better scenery and I for one will buy it, but not until it's complete.BTW, Tucson photoreal also won the flightsim.com award

Yes....photoscenery for NORTH of your border, would make me a very happy camper.;)

-certified speed-junkie and jet-junkie.

Yes....photoscenery for NORTH of your border, would make me a very happy camper.;)
My dream would be Cali, Oregon, Washington, and B.C photoscenery, then I would never have to leave the west coast in flight sim.

I have spent some significant time now flying with the Tampa area photoscenery installed. Like others have mentioned, especially with the issues like clouds on the ground (very obvious and bad looking...see screen from earler post area near KMIA) and the very light and unrealistic light colored textures that are all over the Tampa area (see the shot over Clearwater from my earlier post), I must say that I am disapointed very much with this product, at least the Florida titles.From the screens I have seen of the Utah and Washington areas, they do in fact look substantially better. As the owner of the Megascenry X Las Vegas and Hawaii Titles (which are outstanding in my opinion), I am disapointed to see the substantial drop in quality fromt the MegaScenery X titles to the Megascnery Earth titles. It seems as if someone earlier suggested they have sacraficed quality for quantity. As far as photoscenery goes, at least for Florida, Tyler Newport's Orlando is by far the best (at least for daytime flying). Although it does not compare to Megascenery X Las Vegas, and it is also 2m pixel rather than 1, it is substantially better than the Megascenery World titles that I have purchased.

I have spent some significant time now flying with the Tampa area photoscenery installed. Like others have mentioned, especially with the issues like clouds on the ground (very obvious and bad looking...see screen from earler post area near KMIA) and the very light and unrealistic light colored textures that are all over the Tampa area (see the shot over Clearwater from my earlier post), I must say that I am disapointed very much with this product, at least the Florida titles.From the screens I have seen of the Utah and Washington areas, they do in fact look substantially better. As the owner of the Megascenry X Las Vegas and Hawaii Titles (which are outstanding in my opinion), I am disapointed to see the substantial drop in quality fromt the MegaScenery X titles to the Megascnery Earth titles. It seems as if someone earlier suggested they have sacraficed quality for quantity. As far as photoscenery goes, at least for Florida, Tyler Newport's Orlando is by far the best (at least for daytime flying). Although it does not compare to Megascenery X Las Vegas, and it is also 2m pixel rather than 1, it is substantially better than the Megascenery World titles that I have purchased.
I know.. I was all excited about New York...and that looks like crap!this large area, low quality is not going to cut it for me. They had this niche...fairly small area of high quality stuff. I am not going to waste my HD space on this one. I'd rather wait for FS Altitude and get coverage for the whole US for high altitude flying. I want high quality stuff Mega used to put out before.Well anyway,without fly tampa airports, I am losing interest in these photosceneries. No addon airports = no landings for me. I am flying mostly in western Europe these days...they have more addon coverage for Europe. :(

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I know.. I was all excited about New York...and that looks like crap!this large area, low quality is not going to cut it for me. They had this niche...fairly small area of high quality stuff. I am not going to waste my HD space on this one. I'd rather wait for FS Altitude and get coverage for the whole US for high altitude flying. I want high quality stuff Mega used to put out before.Well anyway,without fly tampa airports, I am losing interest in these photosceneries. No addon airports = no landings for me. I am flying mostly in western Europe these days...they have more addon coverage for Europe. :(
lol Manny, Im about to do the same thing hehe they are more quality airports in Europe now then the u.s. Florida looks horrible, I'm using FSEarthTiles and I'm satisfied with that for now in till they get some good photo scenery for Florida, new york, etc etc. so far from all the posting here Im disappointed with the quality there offering. :(

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

...within the next few weeks......very soon......when complete......what else we have planned......in time those details will come to light......once they are available......you'll have to wait and see......when it is finalized in late 2009......will be revealed to the public very soon......we have to finalize our code...
I suggest you wait until you've done all these before making any further comments.
...various projects few of which I have ever mentioned because they are cutting edge......there are a lot of factors behind the scene that you don't know about and which I'm not at liberty to discuss but I know what's been happening......I just know things from the inside out...
Until you can talk about them I suggest you keep quiet. The "I know but can't tell you argument" is just childish .

I find your repetitive "sour grapes" comments immature. I have been following this thread since the beginning, it excites me to read that someone may have something coming out to give this product competition. From what I am seeing, the quality is low for the most part - if this guy can bring out something cheaper and of higher quality...great. If not, oh well... I agree with his first post, this concept (product) is anything but groundbreaking...and I have to say - quite a ways away from the "most revolutionary" thing since flight sim itself. If you do not have something constructive to offer up, mind as well keep reading perhaps...Danon O.

I find your repetitive "sour grapes" comments immature. I have been following this thread since the beginning, it excites me to read that someone may have something coming out to give this product competition. From what I am seeing, the quality is low for the most part - if this guy can bring out something cheaper and of higher quality...great. If not, oh well... I agree with his first post, this concept (product) is anything but groundbreaking...and I have to say - quite a ways away from the "most revolutionary" thing since flight sim itself. If you do not have something constructive to offer up, mind as well keep reading perhaps...Danon O.
A commercial developer joined the thread making repetitive allegations against another commercial developer's new product, together with claims about how much better his product will be once it's finished. He then supports this by claiming we'd agree with him if only we knew what he knows.It isn't immature to suggest that he keeps quiet until he actually has a comparable product on offer. It can then be compared with the competition. I suggest that his behaviour is immature - it's what's known as a spoiler.