Sign in to follow this  

AOPA's UPDATE on Meigs Field!

I received this in my AOPA Pilot email this morning.AOPA's UPDATE on Meigs Field!http://www.aopa.org/images/whatsnew/newsit...03-1-157x_2.jpgCHICAGO MAYOR BULLDOZES LAKEFRONT AIRPORTMayor Richard M. Daley of Chicago launched his own shock and awe campaign in the wee hours Monday morning by using heavy equipment to tear up the runway of the city's historic lakefront airport, Merrill C. Meigs Field. The nocturnal move caught everybody by surprise, including state legislators, the FAA, and even the controllers who work the tower on the field that will no longer monitor the airspace near downtown Chicago. City crews dug six huge Xs deep into the runway's surface, closing the airport and trapping 16 aircraft, many of which departed later in the week by taking off from a taxiway. A testy Daley at a media conference used "homeland security reasons" to justify his actions--and admitted that there was no pending terrorist threat. "We are absolutely shocked and dismayed," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "Daley has no ho nor and his word has no value. The sneaky way he did this shows that he knows it was wrong."...AOPA HAS 'ONLY JUST BEGUN TO FIGHT' MEIGS CLOSURETaking a line from Revolutionary War hero John Paul Jones, Boyer said, "We have not yet begun to fight. Pilots around the world are incensed by Daley's wanton destruction of Meigs. We're going to use every guerilla tactic in the book to restore that airport. And if in the end that fails, at the very least we'll make Daley feel the pain." Boyer cancelled a planned trip to the Sun 'n Fun EAA Fly-In in Florida and spent Wednesday and Thursday in strategy sessions with AOPA staff and legal counsel to formulate a 12-point plan to save Meigs. ...AND ANNOUNCES DETAILS OF ITS MEIGS PLANThe plan includes the immediate filing of formal complaints with the FAA and the Illinois Department of Transportation, as well as an injunction to prevent further destruction of the airport. In addition, AOPA's 400,000 members--many of whom own or manage businesses or are influential in major organizations--are asked to boycott Chicago and to urge their trade, professional, and business associations to not hold meetings and conventions in the city. If traveling by airline, members should avoid flights landing in Chicago, depriving the city of passenger facility charges and other revenue. Short-term, AOPA will lobby Congress for federal legislation to reopen Meigs; meet with Department of Transportation and FAA counsel to seek remedies through those entities; and place full-page ads in the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times containing an open letter to the mayor and city residents explaining pilots' outrage. More than 600 AOPA Legal Service Plan attorney s will help develop additional legal arguments, and AOPA will offer legal assistance to the 16 pilots stranded by the closure. Long-term, AOPA will ask the Department of Homeland Security to prohibit restrictions or closures of public airports on the basis of a security claim without its concurrence and a specific threat. Also, AOPA will seek emergency legislation to allow the state of Illinois to purchase Meigs, and oppose the use of federal or state funds for the $27 million park slated to replace the airport. For updates on this rapidly developing situation, monitor the Web site.Mark[/color]Old Bridge (3N6) New Jersey[/color] AOPA Member since 1999 #02624412[/color][/color][link:www.aopa.org/|http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/User_files/3e6c68b41bd01284.jpg]Support the Re-Opening of Meigs Airport![/color][link:www.friendsofmeigs.org|Visit Friends of Meigs Website!][link:www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-157x.html|Join AOPA in the Fight!][link:live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&useapplet=true&name=/adler/skyeye/camera1]Meigs CAM LIVE][/b

Cool indeed! I hope they do save it.Best Wishes, Randy J. Smith[h5]San Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Guest ba747heavy

Great news!! That so and so Daley are going to get it!!!

Guest Joshieca

While it is sad that this occurred, I wouldn't hold your breath that airfield will return to normal. Real e$tate, especially waterfront, is a very lucrative commodity.

Guest tcable

Yes but Daley is looking for millions to upgrade O'hare airport and do a total revamp of the field in the image of Hartsfield.You want to see where Chicago will feel the pain, this is it. That is an awful lot of FAA money thta he's going to lose over this as I beleive that their airport funding is tied directly to Meigs. The issue of closing Meigs is not the issue- it is how it was done. Daley wants to make it into a park in his own name!

Guest Blueshockeynut

Well on my way into work this morning I heard on the news that Daley doesnt want to turn it into a park, he wants to turn it into some type of perserve or some nonsense like that, another politician was complaining that they should turn it into a park. Thank God I dont live downtown and have to go thru this mess everyday, just a little update for everyone, dont even think they know what they want to do with it yet.

Guest ScottPilot

It is my understanding (from what I have read) that the FAA may be seeking criminal charges against the Mayor. There is a thought that he did violate some federal laws by his actions.It will be interesting to see what happens.I don't know if it will come to criminal charges, but if it does, that could send a strong message to any other politicians out there who consider doing something like this at other airports.In my opinion, that act was nothing more than vandelism to public property!Long live General Aviation!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS