Sign in to follow this  
Guest Werd

Few Questions About Asa

Guest Werd

Hi!Before I purchase ASA I'd like to know how certain features are implemented, or how they can be fixed/adjusted in future service packs. Sorry for my english. Btw I'm using FS9.Uplifts/downdrafts:-I see there are "maximum updaft" and "maximum downdraft rate" options in ASA. If I get it right uplifts are generated from few factors : wind direction, wind speed, and the terrain slope under the aircraft. Is it right? Seems obvious but just checking.-If we have an uplift on one side of the mountain we get a downdraft on the opposite side, do I get it right?-How accurately ASA is calulating terrain slope? i.e. if we get a complex terrain under the aircraft does it result in more complex system of lifts?Thermals:-Are they generated randomly or depending on terrain features? I.e. more lift above a city, no lift or even a slight downdraft above water surface or a forest?-Do we get less thermals when the temperature goes down? (!!) in the evening? etc-FSX related question. CumulusX has a custom visual representation for a thermal - a cumulus cloud. The problem is it's really ugly compared to other "normal" clouds. What about adding such a feature in ASA? (a good looking cumulus for thermals)-One nice feature in CumulusX that I'd LOVE to see in ASA. If one side of the mountain recieves more sunlight it will naturally generate more thermals than the other side wich is shadowed.Thanks

Hi,-I see there are "maximum updaft" and "maximum downdraft rate" options in ASA. If I get it right uplifts are generated from few factors : wind direction, wind speed, and the terrain slope under the aircraft. Is it right? Seems obvious but just checking.Yes.-If we have an uplift on one side of the mountain we get a downdraft on the opposite side, do I get it right?Yes.How accurately ASA is calulating terrain slope? i.e. if we get a complex terrain under the aircraft does it result in more complex system of lifts?We use a simple calculation of the slope trend under the aircraft as it flies, and compare wind parameters with the degree of slope (positive or negative). It's not completely accurate because it does not use actual FS terrain data (not extensible currently), but does a pretty good job at it's assumptions and depicting terrain-based drafts. There is a single system of lift.Are they generated randomly or depending on terrain features? I.e. more lift above a city, no lift or even a slight downdraft above water surface or a forest?-Do we get less thermals when the temperature goes down? (!!) in the evening? etcThermals are generated based on surface temperature and random influence. Yes, you get far less thermals and at much less strength, with quicker decay at night or in colder conditions.-FSX related question. CumulusX has a custom visual representation for a thermal - a cumulus cloud. The problem is it's really ugly compared to other "normal" clouds. What about adding such a feature in ASA? (a good looking cumulus for thermals)-One nice feature in CumulusX that I'd LOVE to see in ASA. If one side of the mountain recieves more sunlight it will naturally generate more thermals than the other side wich is shadowed.Great suggestions, we will certainly look into that! Thank you for your feedback!Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies