Sign in to follow this  
Guest chris493

Hardware Config. Upgrade And Its Effects On Pmdg

Guest chris493

Hi all,I plan to upgrade my system config. and I want to know what types of DDR2 RAM is good, will my new config. work, will all FS9.1 pmdg products work, do I need to install all my upgrades at once or can I install them whenever I want and is there a specific order to which I should install themCurrent Config:Packard Bell iMedia 1529NEC GA-8TRC410M-NF MotherboardATI RS400/200 chipsetIntel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz1 GB DDR2 RAMnVidia GeForce 7300SE/7200GS (overclocked at Engine: 598 MHz, Clock: 708MHz (not DDR2)Planned Config:Packard Bell iMedia 1529NEC GA-8TRC410M-NF MotherboardATI RS400/200 chipsetIntel Core2 Duo E8400 CPU 3.00GHz2 GB DDR2 RAM (2 x 1GB) Corsair 2GB TWIN2X PC8500 1066MHznVidia GeForce 9500GTThanksChris

Chris,I very seriously doubt that you can actually upgrade to a recent Core 2 CPU and RAM on an old P4 motherboard like that - even if you technically can, it's not a good idea at all to mix very old hardware with very new stuff.I would suggest building a completely new system using something like the following specs:Asus P5Q Pro motherboard (Intel P45 chipset)Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 or (if you can afford it) a Core 2 Quad Q9450 or similar4GB (2X2GB) at least DDR2 800 (1000 or higher provides you with room for overclocking if you want to)Nvida GeForce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon 4870 video cardA large SATA2 hard diskA good power supply (I suggest Corsair)A case with good airflow (example: the Antec Nine-Hundred)You're going to get waaaay better performance out of something like that vs. upgrading a pre-built system. Personally, I'd run in the other direction from anything with Packard-Bell on it hehe ;)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest chris493

Goodafternoon Sir,I thankyou for your quick response to my post. I have a few problems with your excellent suggestions.1: I am only 14 years old and my dad is never going to let me spend that much on a computer.2: maximum budget $400AUD.Is there any way of getting my configuration to work (changing other components is ok)?Would it be cheaper to buy a new computer?If so what computer do you suggest? (max. $3000AUD)And the computer is my families only computer and we all use it.Quote from Dad, "It's fast enough for what we use it"My reply, "But its not fast enough for me"Dads reply, "I'm not away spending thousands on a new computer when we have a perfectly (I cough here) good computer".End of conversationThanks

I had a P4 3GHz with 2Gb ram just a few months ago and it ran okay. Since you have significant constraints, is it possible to add 1Gb to your existing board? Memory prices are pretty attractive, and the extra gig will really help.I agree with Ryan (his tips have worked for me in the past), your mobo and chipset will limit what you can do.

Dan Downs KCRP

You can only spend 400 on upgrades but can spend 3000 on a new system?I built my first computer from parts when I was about your age - there's plenty of information on how to do it online and you'll learn a lot and pay way less than you would buying a pre-made system in most cases.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest chris493

downscc: Hello Sir,My current config. is 2 slots each with 512mb in them. Would I be able to remove the current 1 gb (2 x 512mb) RAM and replace it with 2 x 1GB of RAM? Also what type of Video card did you have and what sort of FPS were you achieving in FS using PMDG?Ryan: Hello Sir,My budgets are estimated. I think my dad will allow me to build a new system from scratch but I will need alot of help doing it. I will look on the internet for tutorials on how to build my own system and if I have any queries would you be happy to help?Thanks AgainChris

Yeah if you actually do it I'll tell you exactly what parts to get - tell me how much you can spend! It's not all that hard to build it, the hardest parts are mounting the CPU and then making sure all the wires are connected properly from the case to the motherboard... The rest is really just inserting cards and stuff and screwing things in.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Guest chris493

I have noticed that my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8TRC410MNF-RH. What is this compatible with?

Guest chris493

What do you suggest for a power supply?

Guest chris493

I have been researching and have come up with the following:Case: Antec Nine HundredMotherboard: Asus P5Q Pro DesktopCPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, FSb 1333MHz, 2 x 6MB L2 CacheMemory: Corsair 2GB Kit Twin2x PC8500 1066MHz DDR2 Dual Channel RAMGraphics: VC Asus 9600GT PCIe/D-DVI 512mbHD: HDD Western Digital 1TB 7200/16MB/SATA2 WD10EACSCD/DVD/BR: Pioneer BDC-S02BK Blu-ray Combo (CD/DVD/Blu-ray)Power Supply: PSU Corsair 620W HX-620 ModularKeyboard: Logitech G15 USBMouse: Logitech VX Nano WirelessUSB Ports: MCRD Generic PCI USB (4 Ports)Sound Card: Creative X-FI Xtreme AudioOS: Windows XP Home Edition SP3Office: Microsoft Office 2007 Home and StudentAnti-virus: Norton 360Total Cost: $2134 audIs this system good?Is every component compatible?Will this system run?Have I missed any components?CheersChris

Guest chris493

Hi again guys,My dad wont buy the stuff for me :(He says I have to earn the money myself. Do any of you guys know what I could do for a job (i'm 14).All suggestions welcome!!

See my suggestions below in red for the stuff I would change. This should knock a bunch off the price.

I have been researching and have come up with the following:Case: Antec Nine HundredMotherboard: Asus P5Q Pro DesktopCPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, FSb 1333MHz, 2 x 6MB L2 CacheMemory: Corsair 2GB Kit Twin2x PC8500 1066MHz DDR2 Dual Channel RAM - get 4GB in a 2X2GB configuration, FSX really benefits from it. The RAM doesn't have to be expensive, see if you can find the brand "G.Skill" in Australia. 4GB of their DDR1066 is seriously about US $40 right now here. Graphics: VC Asus 9600GT PCIe/D-DVI 512mb - this is a pretty old card - I'd go with something newer like the Nvidia GTX 260 or ATI 4870.HD: HDD Western Digital 1TB 7200/16MB/SATA2 WD10EACSCD/DVD/BR: Pioneer BDC-S02BK Blu-ray Combo (CD/DVD/Blu-ray) - this is a pretty useless expense unless you're intending to watch a bunch of BluRay movies or something.Power Supply: PSU Corsair 620W HX-620 ModularKeyboard: Logitech G15 USB - could save some money getting a cheaper keyboard.Mouse: Logitech VX Nano Wireless - highly suggest a wired mouse like the Logitech G5, wireless mice can be a pain between needing batteries and connectivity issues with bluetooth etc.USB Ports: MCRD Generic PCI USB (4 Ports) - the motherboard has a ton of ports and external headers that go in the card slots, you don't need this.Sound Card: Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio - this is also questionable, the onboard sound on the PQ5 is pretty good.OS: Windows XP Home Edition SP3 - get Vista Home Premium 64-bit, you'll get out of memory errors in XP with the 744 and MD-11.Office: Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student - use Open Office 3, it's free and just as good as MS OfficeAnti-virus: Norton 360 - use Nod32 - www.eset.com, Norton is major bloatware and will slow a gaming machine down.Total Cost: $2134 audIs this system good?Is every component compatible?Will this system run?Have I missed any components?CheersChris

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Guest chris493

Ok will look at your updated config. ThanksChris

Guest chris493

Is this ok?Case: Antec Nine HundredMotherboard: Asus P5Q Pro DesktopCPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, FSb 1333MHz, 2 x 6MB L2 CacheMemory: G.Skill 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) 1066MHz PC8500 DDR2 RAMGraphics: VC Asus GTX 260 576M PCIe/D-DVI 896MBHD: HDD Western Digital 1TB 7200/16MB/SATA2 WD10EACSCD/DVD/BR: Pioneer DVD RW 20x BK +/-/DL/LS/SATAPower Supply: PSU Corsair 620W HX-620 ModularKeyboard and Mouse: Microsoft Wired Desktop 500 Set OS: Vista Home Premium 64-bitOffice: Open Office 3Anti-virus: Nod32Total Cost: $2048 audIs this system good?Is every component compatible?Will this system run?Have I missed any components?CheersChris

Guest D17S

Here's a quad setup for ~ $800. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=7159746The quad CPU runs at 2.4Ghz. but can be easily "turned up" to 3.6Ghz. See if he'll go for this. Even a maxed out latest gen i7 quad won't run much beyond 4.0Ghz, so you're not giving up much. I run this rig at 3.6Ghz with the PMDG MD11/FS9 beta and with all settings at 100%, is smooth as silk. With FSX, all settings (except traffic, bloom, water and a notch of AG) can go to 100% while maintaining 15-20 FPS on final with the 744. The MDX is better. The Q6600 is going away in January. Get it while you still can.