Sign in to follow this  
Guest chris493

Hardware Config. Upgrade And Its Effects On Pmdg

Sam, that is a clever choice that really gets a lot of performance for the buck. I keep hearing the FS9 crowd complain that it takes $3000 to upgrade to FSX. This blows a hole in that argument.

Dan Downs KCRP

Sam's choices look pretty good as well. The only things I might recommend changing are the video card to something newer like the GTX 260 or ATI 4870 (slightly more expensive) if you're going to play other games besides FS, and possibly getting something like the OCZ Vendetta 2 for the CPU cooler instead of the Thermaltake Ultra 120 since that one requires an external fan and a special mounting bracket etc and might pose a bit of a challenge for a first time builder.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest chris493

Hi all,I have a question. If I was to remove Norton 360 and relace it with NOD32 would I get any better performance? Would the performance difference be noticable (about 5+ FPS more than now)ThanksChris

Hi all,I have a question. If I was to remove Norton 360 and relace it with NOD32 would I get any better performance? Would the performance difference be noticable (about 5+ FPS more than now)ThanksChris
It's hard to say for certain, but if nothing else, I suspect load times will be improved and there will be less stutters. Also, I'm not sure how well Norton's uninstaller works, so it may leave parts of itself around.I have NOD32 and I am happy with it. If you do get it, only get the AV, not the security suite.-stefan

I highly doubt you're going to gain 5+ from switching AV programs. Norton does suck though and I certainly don't recommend it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I got Norton 2009 when I rebuilt my system a couple of months ago, using Vista64, and I have been very pleasantly surprised with it. They have made big changes to it to make it more invisible and better at keeping in the background. True, I went from a P4 to a Quad but I think there is a big change. Big difference is the update utility that used to bog me down is now much quicker and more efficient. I'm going to upgrade the wife and daughter's laptops to 2009 when their subscriptions run out. I no longer have to exclude FS directories from scanning.

Dan Downs KCRP