Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

New Graphics Card For Ageing System?

I am currently running FSX on an ageing AMD Athlon 2.4 mhz single CPU, XFX7600GT 256mb AGP graphics, 2 GB DDR RAM. Although FSX runs OK, with toned down settings, it is not able to cope with any degree of autogen without blurries occuring to the ground textures at anything over 100 knots.I was wondering whether an upgrade of the graphics card to a "Sapphire Technology Radeon HD 3650 512M DDR2 AGP" would help? Can anyone using a similar graphic card give any opinion? Also, what are opinions of ATI v's Nvidia graphics chips?Thanks,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

I am currently running FSX on an ageing AMD Athlon 2.4 mhz single CPU, XFX7600GT 256mb AGP graphics, 2 GB DDR RAM. Although FSX runs OK, with toned down settings, it is not able to cope with any degree of autogen without blurries occuring to the ground textures at anything over 100 knots.I was wondering whether an upgrade of the graphics card to a "Sapphire Technology Radeon HD 3650 512M DDR2 AGP" would help? Can anyone using a similar graphic card give any opinion? Also, what are opinions of ATI v's Nvidia graphics chips?Thanks,Stuart
HelloIf your PC is getting on a bit, then it might be worth checking out the wattage of your power supply as i believe the the more powerful cards need more OOOMPH (technical term :( ) to run them and if your power supply is only 250 300 watts then you may have problems with the PC shutting itself down.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

The heyday of AGP was about 5 years ago ... you should seriously consider purchasing a new PC.

Adding a newer/faster graphics card will not help your overall system very much in FS. Your money would be MUCH better spent toward an entirely new computer system. You can spend $700 and have a machine that will be pretty good; less if you keep your existing monitor, mouse, etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest cuizinier

Hello, I think you have a decent system for FS9 (avoiding complex add-ons)...And that I might make more sense as previously suggested to save money for a new box. cheersJulien