Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Can I get more control over joystick calibration?

I have a throttle quadrant from a Beech Baron that I have converted to FS use using linear pots from Mouser. It works well, especially with FSUIPC for calibration. The only problem is they still don't end up being "linear". On most models (and it does seem to differ a bit by model) the levers have almost no effect until they are at least 1/2 way up - maybe 2/3s of the way up. Fine control at cruise ends up depending on maybe 1/2" of throw at the firewall. That's disappointing because I did this so I would have that nice long travel distance for better control. Does anyone know of a way to change the "linearity" of the axes in FS? I know some sims actually let you manipulate the curve for just that reason. The pots are connected by USB, if that makes a difference. Thanks!David

What happens if you put fixed resistors on the pot end closest to your closed value to provide some bias. Then you adjust the knull and sensitivity values in FSUIPC or FS or both.Since you have the gates on the power levers (right?) you should also check the mapping to multiple engine setting and calibration in FSUIPC. It is a different effect with calibration. When I tried this with a standard CH Throttle, bringing the lever to idle moved it into reverse thrust (lever all the way down). This will let you easily allow you to get into the beta range and reverse thrust range appropriately at each gate. This also effectively biases the pots so the upper 2/3 of the por becomes the flight range.Try this before getting involved in hardware.Also remember that pots are available with different linearity characteristics.

FSUIPC offers the ability to create non-linear response curves for aileron, elevator and rudder axes, but there's no mention in the Advanced User Guide about throttle, but it might be possible to do what you need to do through the interface. I would contact Pete Dowson via e-mail. You will find him helpful, I'm sure.ChasW

Thanks guys! I will definitely check out FSUIPC more. Not sure what you mean by "gates". I'm guessing you are talking about detents, which it doesn't have (piston engines). Right now I have FSUIPC calibrated so idle and reverse are both set with the throttle all the way back. David