Sign in to follow this  
BoeingGuy

Christmas Is Here...

GEX vs. REX  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get GEX or REX for Christmas?

• GEX (Ground Environment X)
    • REX (Real Environment X)
    • Both

Well, the title says it all. I can pick between GEX and REX or Fraps Recorder for Christmas, with UTX coming sometime in 2009.My question is this: I have downloaded and installed Nick & Anthony's GEX Autogen package from the AVSIM Library and there is a significant amount of improvement. But is this as good as the full GEX package? If it is, I'm going to go for REX and hope that the quality of the autogen package matches the quality of the full payware GEX package, and so I can get the best of both worlds.Or I can get both, and not get Fraps. My goal however, is to get one FS Addon and Fraps.And I'm also going to test out the poll feature... :( Happy Holidays!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Hi,Do you care more about your ground textures or sky/cloud textures right now? If it is ground then GEX. If it is sky/cloud then REX.

I'm not sure you have a full understanding of the 2 products (REX and GEX ). GEX is a GROUND texture replacement product. It has nothing to do with Sky, Clouds, Water, Weather, etc., whereas REX primarily upgrades Sky, Clouds, Water, Airport Parking/Aprons/Runways, and also provides a weather generating engine.I may be wrong but I think you want to decide between REX and FEX (Flight Environment Extreme).

WAT1460.png

I'm not sure you have a full understanding of the 2 products (REX and GEX ). GEX is a GROUND texture replacement product. It has nothing to do with Sky, Clouds, Water, Weather, etc., whereas REX primarily upgrades Sky, Clouds, Water, Airport Parking/Aprons/Runways, and also provides a weather generating engine.I may be wrong but I think you want to decide between REX and FEX (Flight Environment Extreme).
I do know the difference between them. I opened this thread because I wasn't sure what the majority of simmers think is more important--ground or environment. Based on those opinions, I will make a choice.And I do, for sure, prefer REX over FEX.Thanks.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest Nick_N
Well, the title says it all. I can pick between GEX and REX or Fraps Recorder for Christmas, with UTX coming sometime in 2009.My question is this: I have downloaded and installed Nick & Anthony's GEX Autogen package from the AVSIM Library and there is a significant amount of improvement. But is this as good as the full GEX package? If it is, I'm going to go for REX and hope that the quality of the autogen package matches the quality of the full payware GEX package, and so I can get the best of both worlds.Or I can get both, and not get Fraps. My goal however, is to get one FS Addon and Fraps.And I'm also going to test out the poll feature... :( Happy Holidays!
Not promoting anything but to clarify... the autogen patch was just autogen textures, nothing else. It is not included with any GEX product and is simply something Anthony and I did for the entire community, and there is more coming for that patch too. It works with default FSX as well as any addon.If you wish to see the full product go to the Ground Environment X website and review the GALLERY images. http://gex.flight1.net so you may review the differences. Some have UTX in them too (noted) as GEX also provides a complete UTX texture update for people who use both. Im sure you can review images of REX at their website too.FEX is a smilar product as well. You may want to review their website. ASX is a great weather engine and they just updated to a new and improved version. I use ASX as I find its weather render very similar to real world out the window

Not promoting anything but to clarify... the autogen patch was just autogen textures, nothing else. It is not included with any GEX product and is simply something Anthony and I did for the entire community, and there is more coming for that patch too. It works with default FSX as well as any addon.
Thanks for clearing that up. Confusion on my part. :( I'm leaning slightly towards REX despite the poll results because GEX only comes in editions specific to location (it slightly is a put-off when you have the USA looking incredible then land in a stock-textured-Europe, and the price is also a factor), whereas REX covers the whole world, and truth be told, I am leaning towards sky/water/atmospheric environments more than ground environments...as said before, UTX will be coming in '09, maybe GEX can follow suit.Thanks!Happy Holidays!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

I'm getting a good kick out of your signature banner (REX Supporter) and yet you are asking the question GEX or REX. :) (Not a judgment or snarky remark - just getting a kick out of it!)

Guest Nick_N
Thanks for clearing that up. Confusion on my part. :( I'm leaning slightly towards REX despite the poll results because GEX only comes in editions specific to location (it slightly is a put-off when you have the USA looking incredible then land in a stock-textured-Europe, and the price is also a factor), whereas REX covers the whole world, and truth be told, I am leaning towards sky/water/atmospheric environments more than ground environments...as said before, UTX will be coming in '09, maybe GEX can follow suit.Thanks!Happy Holidays!
No problem... was just letting you know the differences because it seemed you may have thought GEX was sampled in that autogen release :(

I'm getting a good kick out of your signature banner (REX Supporter) and yet you are asking the question GEX or REX. :) (Not a judgment or snarky remark - just getting a kick out of it!)
Haha! You're right! I'd forgotten about that. :( All right, I've decided on REX...GEX+UTX in '09!Quick question, does REX integrate with FSWC?And don't forget...FS11 in 2010!Happy Holidays to all,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

Guest Nick_N
Haha! You're right! I'd forgotten about that. :( All right, I've decided on REX...GEX+UTX in '09!Quick question, does REX integrate with FSWC?And don't forget...FS11 in 2010!Happy Holidays to all,
FSWC and the upcoming FSWC+ with expanded features and with DX10 support will work with FSX default or any environment addon like REX or FEXDevelopers, freeware ot otherwise, who look out for the entire sim community by placing thought and care in design of their project(s) and make sure they do not damage or hinder another are the ones who are in true support of this hobby for the primary goal in making it a fun and 'headache free' experience for everyone.