Sign in to follow this  
boris4356

42" Lcd Tv Resolution

I am looking to buy a 42" LCD TV, and was wondering if the difference is very noticable in FSX between 768p and 1020p. I will be sitting about 3' away, and it will only be used as a computer monitor for FSX.Thanks,Bill

Rule of thumb is at a minimum you need to be seated a distance of screen size X 1.5 away from your LCD TV/Screen to get decent visuals. For a 42" LCD TV that equates to 63" or approximately 5 feet. At a distance of 3 feet away from a 42 inch LCD monitor the world is going to look very pixelated and there will be a very noticable difference between a 720P resolution monitor and a 1080P resolution monitor at that close of a distance.

Guest D17S

Sitting 6" to 1' from a 40' at 19x10 works fine. Pixelation is not noticeable and it provides a great peripheral sense. I use it all the time with the PMDG stuff. It really gets one into the cockpit. At the right zoom, the glass is about life-sized. Runs fine on a 9800GTX (that also drives a second 19").

Sitting 6" to 1' from a 40' at 19x10 works fine. Pixelation is not noticeable and it provides a great peripheral sense. I use it all the time with the PMDG stuff. It really gets one into the cockpit. At the right zoom, the glass is about life-sized. Runs fine on a 9800GTX (that also drives a second 19").
Thanks for the replies guys!Bil

I was able to try a 52" Sony Bravia at work at 1920x1080p (HDMI input) and was extremely pleased with the immersive feeling at about two and a half to three feet. No pixelation apparent but it was important NOT to use the "Standard" color setting but instead a Custom setting that was like the Cinema setting but brighter - otherwise the picture was oversharpened/too bright for good antialiasing (was using a GTX 280 with 16Aniso/16XAA). As said above, use a Zoom of maybe .6 to .7 - the 737 virtual cockpit screens were somewhat less than full size but very legible and the field of view is maybe 70 deg by 40. When I used FTX Tasmania or Megascenery SoCal in the mountains, I had my own personal IMAX. This price of HDTV is maybe $1800 USD but one of the best ways to go for highres immersion (if you could afford it! ).Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I was able to try a 52" Sony Bravia at work at 1920x1080p (HDMI input) and was extremely pleased with the immersive feeling at about two and a half to three feet. No pixelation apparent but it was important NOT to use the "Standard" color setting but instead a Custom setting that was like the Cinema setting but brighter - otherwise the picture was oversharpened/too bright for good antialiasing (was using a GTX 280 with 16Aniso/16XAA). As said above, use a Zoom of maybe .6 to .7 - the 737 virtual cockpit screens were somewhat less than full size but very legible and the field of view is maybe 70 deg by 40. When I used FTX Tasmania or Megascenery SoCal in the mountains, I had my own personal IMAX. This price of HDTV is maybe $1800 USD but one of the best ways to go for highres immersion (if you could afford it! ).Dave
Thanks Dave.. I'm going shopping!Bill