Sign in to follow this  
Guest ddrueding

Backup/migration Of My Local Cache?

Guest ddrueding

Hi, I'm new here...but I searched the forum and read the manual, honest! ;)I've only been using this great add-on for a few days, but I already have about 1GB of data. (I've been messing with level mapping and sending my machine off for the night to get stuff). Now I'm hoping for a way to backup this precious resource, and possibly transfer it to another machine. If you could clue me in to what would be required to perform the following:1. Backup my cached files in a way that could be retrieved into a different installation2. Change the location of the cache to another hard drive with more free space while retaining the rest of my installation3. Map multiple workstations to the same cache folder, so they don't have to retrieve/process duplicate dataI'm really amazed at what TileProxy is capable of, I'm just looking to make the most of it!Thanks,David

Hi, I'm new here...but I searched the forum and read the manual, honest! ;)I've only been using this great add-on for a few days, but I already have about 1GB of data. (I've been messing with level mapping and sending my machine off for the night to get stuff). Now I'm hoping for a way to backup this precious resource, and possibly transfer it to another machine. If you could clue me in to what would be required to perform the following:1. Backup my cached files in a way that could be retrieved into a different installation2. Change the location of the cache to another hard drive with more free space while retaining the rest of my installation3. Map multiple workstations to the same cache folder, so they don't have to retrieve/process duplicate dataI'm really amazed at what TileProxy is capable of, I'm just looking to make the most of it!Thanks,David
David,a little surprising that you didn't have an answer sooner... I guess everybody's out flyin' :( Basically, with a little care I think you can do just about anything you can think of; I have.you aren't restricted to the cache folders originally defined... make up anything you want, wherever you want. Copy anything anywhere. Move anything anytime. Just tell TP what and where it is.The location of the caches to be used is defined at the end of the ProxyUser.ini; each individual service configuration is defined therein. Instead of 4 different services, I generally use one service defined four different ways - for example I wanted to build a cache of just West Coast tiles so I created a cache folder set like thisTile_CacheWC cache.service11 cache.service12 cache.service13 cache.serviceWCthen set up the ini like so...################################################################################source=Service ms11source=Service ms12#source=Service ms13#source=Service msWC###############################################################################with the individual sections like this[service ms11]cache_folder=E:\Tile_CacheWC\cache.service11.min_level=11max_level=11[service ms12]cache_folder=E:\Tile_CacheWC\cache.service12.min_level=12max_level=12[service ms13]cache_folder=E:\Tile_CacheWC\cache.service13.min_level=13max_level=13[service msWC]cache_folder=E:\Tile_CacheWC\cache.serviceWC.min_level=10max_level=13level_mapping=11,11,12,13Fly the area initially at each "low impact" level of resolution, then the next, then the last - to collect imagery.Copy all three into the the composite WC folder and fly OFFLINE and enjoy.These are low res tiles to make the earth look decent from 10000' feet and up flying with med or large range on the scenery slider.Repeat the procedure for other regions... Then have a .ini version that individually references the completed regions to fly from any to any other[service msWC]#--------------------- West Coast --------------cache_folder=E:\Tile_CacheWC\cache.serviceWCmin_level=10max_level=13level_mapping=11,11,12,13[service msNW]#--------------------- NorthWest --------------cache_folder=E:\Tile_CacheNW\cache.serviceNWmin_level=10max_level=13level_mapping=11,11,12,13[service msWC]#--------------------- Southwest --------------cache_folder=E:\Tile_CacheSW\cache.serviceSWmin_level=10max_level=13level_mapping=11,11,12,13The ACTIVE world scenery folder can only have that name but so long as there is only ONE of that name when you fly, so what if you also have a "NW_TileProxy Photoreal World" and a "SW_TileProxy Photoreal World" that TileProxy doesn't reference at the moment.Experiment a little with caches on another partition or another HDD; TP just looks for them wherever the ini file says to look. Even the "TileProxy Photoreal World" can be replicated elsewhere.... the little file "DRIVE.TXT" has the Drive name to look on. If I change the "D:\" in that file to "C:\" then it will use the "TileProxy Photoreal World" folders on the new drive (same name, different content). Yes, there is necessarily some manual editing and copying over of ini files but if you're careful, you can just about have anything.I went this route after my first week - 10 days of playing with TP loaded me up with about 24G of cached stuff I needed to delete.Hope this helps.and I agree totally that it is an awesome feature. I just watched that Russian River video (in HD) mentioned here in the forum and it was stunning! I'm jealous as hell that I don't have time to DL everything! I do have the Pitts though...Loyd

Guest cbuchner1

Just one note, I think the DRIVE.TXT file specifying the drive letter for the Tileproxy Photoreal World folder has been deprecated. The installer now writes a registry key now containing the drive to use.This drive letter specification is needed to attach the filter driver to the correct filesystem volume.Christian

Just one note, I think the DRIVE.TXT file specifying the drive letter for the Tileproxy Photoreal World folder has been deprecated. The installer now writes a registry key now containing the drive to use.This drive letter specification is needed to attach the filter driver to the correct filesystem volume.Christian
Thanks,I forgot about the version change... I 'm not sure which version I'm using, except that I don't have the LOD 8 bgl enhancement (or don't have it enabled). Since I've had some major system crashes while flying, maybe I had better reinstall to make sure I'm using the latest version. Do you see any potential problems with changing tile caches while flying? I keep a 2-3

Guest ddrueding

Thanks all for your knowledge. Christian, what is the location of the registry key? Would I need to unload/reload the filter driver for a change to take effect (reboot?)? I'm still trying to understand what the purpose of the "TileProxy Photoreal World" folder vs the "cache.service1" folder are. From what I can understand, cache.service1 is the raw data downloaded from the web and photoreal world is the processed data for FSX? If the data is in photoreal world and not cache.service1, does it attempt to download it again? Or does it realize it already has that data? If it doesn't try to download it again, does that mean that I could delete the cache.service1 data and just leave the processed version in photoreal world?Tangentally related: My system manages 2500-3000 tiles per second; would I benefit from moving the data folders from a drive that manages 200MB/s (Intel X25-M) to one that manages more (Intel X25-E)? Is it disk bound at all? Should I just stick a 1TB drive in there and call it good?PS - TileProxy seems to crash once it uses more than 4GB of RAM. I'm happy for it to take more, but it crashes once it reaches that limit (sometimes takes FSX with it, other times I can reload TileProxy midflight).

Guest cbuchner1
PS - TileProxy seems to crash once it uses more than 4GB of RAM. I'm happy for it to take more, but it crashes once it reaches that limit (sometimes takes FSX with it, other times I can reload TileProxy midflight).
You should fly with a limited memory setting for tiles. I suspect you've either set your bytes limit to 0 (turned it off) or to something extremely large. There is really no point in storing almost 4GB of BMP tiles in memory until the processe's memory limit is reached.
Tangentally related: My system manages 2500-3000 tiles per second; would I benefit from moving the data folders from a drive that manages 200MB/s (Intel X25-M) to one that manages more (Intel X25-E)? Is it disk bound at all? Should I just stick a 1TB drive in there and call it good?
I don't think disk throughput is the limiting factor here. It's mainly processor speed.