Sign in to follow this  
Bluescaster

Anti Virus Software

Hi All, I do hope I've picked the correct Forum.I have used Symantec's Norton Anti virus software for many years and over the last 2 years have suspected that it's not really compatible with my Flt. Sim hobby needs. I believe it is taking far more of my resources than it warrants for a sensible level of protection for my system.I've read somewhere (and specifically relating to Flight Sim programs) that 'AVAST' anti-virus has far less impact on said resources whilst giving a sensible level of protection. This software I understand is made by a Czech company.Does anyone have any observations regarding this particular anti-virus software? Indeed observations on anything contained in this posting would be appreciated as I think that system protection and how it impacts upon our hobby software needs some research. If I've missed some huge bulk of similar discussion material on this site I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction;-)Merry Christmas all!Regards,Blue

Been using AVASt for a few years prior to switch to Nod32 for my FS9 & FSX rigs.Never noticed any problems what so ever with it.Merry Christmas

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Been using AVASt for a few years prior to switch to Nod32 for my FS9 & FSX rigs.Never noticed any problems what so ever with it.Merry Christmas
Concur, been using AVAST for many years now.

Guest lgvpilot1

Another vote for avast I run it on three machines and have never had a problem it To be honest the only time I know its there is when it gives a "spoken" notification that it has updated it self Even if FS9 is running it seems to have no noticible effect when updating Oh and the price is good :( Mark

I've used it for years on all our machines.

Guest belga1

Hello,Many .. many users of FSX-FS2004 are very satisfied with this antivirus:http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.phpI don't use it myself ( I disable my antivirus [CA antivirus and any autoupdates are also disabled by default] when I play FS)but have very positives from close friends (I see the result on their computer)

After trying out numerous antivirus products and numerous reformats to switch from one to another, ESET NOD32 is the best there is in many ways.AVG 8.0

Thanks to you all! As usual with the AVSIM forum site - some excellent information and advice. Very much appreciated. FURTHER: to my original post: Looks like a vote of confidence for the AVAST program - am I to take it that I could be correct in my assumption that Symantec/Norton is more of a drain on my system resources than I if fact need? Observations would be appreciated on this point as I am looking for something to give me an improvement - rather than just a 'change'.Merry Christmas.Regards, Blue.

I believe you are correct concerning Norton. Best I remember, it also caused other problems for me in FS as well, but it has been so long since I removed it from my system (what a hassle) that I don't remember exactly what they were. My next try was with AVAST Free for some time, but began to get false positives with it (LDS 767). Went with ESET-Smart Security (NOD32) over a year ago, and never looked back. Checks and updates every night and I am very pleased with it. I highly recommend ESET. Between ESET and Diskeeper, housekeeping is totally automatic and takes care of themselves and my computer.Good luck:RTH

Thanks to you all! As usual with the AVSIM forum site - some excellent information and advice. Very much appreciated. FURTHER: to my original post: Looks like a vote of confidence for the AVAST program - am I to take it that I could be correct in my assumption that Symantec/Norton is more of a drain on my system resources than I if fact need? Observations would be appreciated on this point as I am looking for something to give me an improvement - rather than just a 'change'.Merry Christmas.Regards, Blue.

I used Norton for years, which always hindered performance as it ran in the "background". With ESET

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Guest belga1

Hello,Actually ... due to the economic - financial crisis .. peoples are wondering where invest their money ....I think ESET-Nod32 is a very good place for put some money ... wink2.gifRegards. biggrinsanta.gif

I might add the following to my previous reply regarding ESET.Unless something has changed since my purchase over a year ago, you can purchase antivirus provisions alone, or a complete "Smart Security" package which also includes firewall and Antispam provisions (which I purchased). I also use Spybot and SpywareBlaster for Spyware detection and prevention. Previous to ESET, I repeatedly found multiple spyware files that needed to be removed when I used the latter two. After implementing the ESET Smart Security package, I have never detected another case of spyware useing these other programs. They are now prevented. The Antivirus provisions do occasionally notify me of an intrusion or danger. So far I have quarantined and/or removed them as recommended by ESET with no problems.To each his own, but I highly recommend ESET.RTH

I used Norton for years, which always hindered performance as it ran in the "background". With ESET

Guest tappy

I found out very early that Norton AntiVirus is a frame rate killer in FS2004 and after removing it from my system, which took considerable effort, my simming experience has greatly improved. I now use Avast Pro which is not free but well worth it, the avast home edition is free and still up to the job and has minimal effect on frame rates in my opinion.

Happy New Year to All.Thanks for the interesting replies and observations. I've now removed Norton/Symantec protections from my system and replaced it with AVAST for the time being and as a trail. I like the fact already that it is less intrusive. Also - a couple of glitches on my system have disapeared which I do not think is coincidental. (i.e. often whilst shutting the system down it would lock up and I'd have to turn off manually. Also on start up the system would not proceed to the 'memory test' in the boot up process. Touch wood - niether of these minor inconveniences have occured since the change.;-) _Thanks all.Blue

Guest Charlie

My response is probably going to result in a lot of rolling eyes and "you