Sign in to follow this  
Guest capman23

Lights And Signs

Guest capman23

What happens when an aircraft tire runs over taxi light or sign? Im guessing the light bends, but im not Sure. Please tell me, i would love to know. Happy holidays!

In the real world, I believe most taxiway and runway lights are installed on break-away stands. (See the single light picture)Not sure about signs, they are bigger. An incident report would probably be filled out and your rental insurance would probably go up and some sort of remedial training mandated by the FAA would be enforced.As an aside, I bought some taxiway lights off of eBay and re-wired them. (See the triple light picture) I used round electrical boxes and plastic conduit to rebuild.HTH,

Guest capman23
In the real world, I believe most taxiway and runway lights are installed on break-away stands. (See the single light picture)Not sure about signs, they are bigger. An incident report would probably be filled out and your rental insurance would probably go up and some sort of remedial training mandated by the FAA would be enforced.As an aside, I bought some taxiway lights off of eBay and re-wired them. (See the triple light picture) I used round electrical boxes and plastic conduit to rebuild.HTH,
Yeah most likely, and nice pics

All hell generally breaks loose and they look for your head. Typically, you get charged between 3 and 5 grand for each light and the FAA makes threats to revoke your license. At least that's been the procedure I've seen for GA pilots. They aren't flexible at all and typically break off. Given how little damage it did to my friend's Taylorcraft, I imagine they have some sort of sheer point.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest IIIUUU

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I used some of the parts to make my babington wvo bu

What happens when an aircraft tire runs over taxi light or sign? Im guessing the light bends, but im not Sure. Please tell me, i would love to know. Happy holidays!
In my time as an Air Traffic Controller, Twy Lights were routinely broken, and it was just part of routine maintenance.Don't know about those bigger signs...folks may get a bit more "huffy" bout' those!Cheers,bt

In my time as an Air Traffic Controller, Twy Lights were routinely broken, and it was just part of routine maintenance.Don't know about those bigger signs...folks may get a bit more "huffy" bout' those!Cheers,bt
Heh. My buddy knocked one over with the tail end of his Taylorcraft at Merrill and the FAA sent him a nice letter threatening to fine him and to run an inquiry. Though I imagine they hold light planes to a different standard that the wider, larger airliners with all their blind spots.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

I'm not sure how well it would go over if you hit the taxiway sign. they're no like road signs in that they are just a sheet of metal. They are more of a box. TECHNICALLY, if you were to cause damage to property, it could be considered as an aviation accident and treated accordingly. I have no knowledge of how far the airport might take it though. If I were to ever break a light or sign I'd file a nasa report immediately and probably try to get myself off the radar of the airport manager by offering to pay for it and any costs that could be associated with it. Interesting question though. And I'd bet that more taxiway lights have been run over than anyone will really know.

Guest xstevex

It's simple. Dont run over the lights. Smaller GA aircraft rarely do much damage, however on a 757 thrusting PWs could possibly ingest the debris and cause major issues. Some airports are looking into switching to an lcd "dome" stye lighting set up. If you do happen to run one over, do us all a favor and please report it. Not reporting it can be a prelude to a larger problem. Fly Safe, Steve