Sign in to follow this  
Guest slgiblin

Nvidia 7800 Gt To 9800gtx

Guest slgiblin

Was wondering if the upgrading my 7800 GT to a 9800 GTX would make a difference in FS9. Thanks.Steve

Was wondering if the upgrading my 7800 GT to a 9800 GTX would make a difference in FS9. Thanks.Steve
Welcome to Avsim, Steve. With your second post, why don't you list some of your system specs (processor, psu, HD's, cooling, monitor(s) etc) so we have a reference point for your performance. Also what "difference" are you seeking? Frame rates, image quality, both? If you have an older processor, then the upgrade probebly won't yield much except IQ. If you're already running a newer DC/QC then it would help on almost all fronts. What PSU you planning to use with that GTX? Betcha she'll draw way more juice than the 7800GT.Happy holidays!

Regards, Kendall

Guest slgiblin

Sorry, I realised after the post that I should add some info...I'm mostly interested in frame rates but any image improvement would be a plus...Considering the upgrade because the prices are getting pretty low and would like something to tide me over til I can upgrade the whole rig. I must say that FS9 runs quite nicely already but any enhancement would be welcome.Here goes...AMD 4800 X 22 gigs of Ram480 watt psu2 HDs 300 and 500 Gig sata19 Lcd Monitor running at modest resolution

As someone that's using the 9800, what concerns me is your PSU....its a little light for power. :( The 9800 GTX requires TWO 4-pin power leads to power it. I beleive it also reccomends a 600 watt or better. I'm running an 800 Watt smooth, but the 480 below concerns me. :(

Sorry, I realised after the post that I should add some info...I'm mostly interested in frame rates but any image improvement would be a plus...Considering the upgrade because the prices are getting pretty low and would like something to tide me over til I can upgrade the whole rig. I must say that FS9 runs quite nicely already but any enhancement would be welcome.Here goes...AMD 4800 X 22 gigs of Ram480 watt psu2 HDs 300 and 500 Gig sata19 Lcd Monitor running at modest resolution

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Sorry, I realised after the post that I should add some info...
No biggie, Steve.....beside its Christmas :( FWIW, I agree with John about the PSU unless it's something rock solid, like a PC Power & Cooling type. In my experiences, the biggest frame rate gains from hardware I've ever achieved have always been the result of - you guessed it - a faster CPU. And that helped resolve many grapical issues too, like the blurries. When I used FS9, going from a P4 to a C2 made it a whole new sim. If I were you I might consider holding off on a VC update and go after the fastest AMD processor your board will accept. You could then go for a cheaper VC upgrade, if it was even needed, after swapping the CPU. JMHO, hope it helps.

Regards, Kendall