Sign in to follow this  
solowingdemon

Fsx Display And Hardware

Hello! I'm pretty much new here. Seemed like a good place to pose my immediate and frustrating question with FSX.My father and I run identical systems, both 2.8 GHz dual core, 3-4 gigs of ram, 250 GB hard drive. The only difference till now was he had a GeForce 8600 GT graphics card, and I was stuck with my old GeForce 6200SE. We recently upgraded to 9800 GT video cards and new power supplies to support them. Long story short, after installing the new card and drivers on my dad's machine, we see very little improvement over his 8600 GT. Graphics settings go up, but nothing happens, outside of a few more sparkles. I have a few theories of my own. We both run Windows XP Pro and use DirectX9 with standard CRT monitors. My thought is that either 1) our monitors are the issue, 2) We need DirectX10/Vista to get the better graphics, or 3) Something we missed. Can anyone help me confirm if DX10/Vista is needed to attain the better graphics, or do you think it's something else? We hope that our money wasn't wasted on equipment that on paper was 3x better, but only turned out to be marginally effective.

As I understand it, FSX is more CPU bound than GPU bound. Therefore you should see more of an improvement on your machine than dad's machine. Of course you need a good GPU,(don't get rid of the 9800gt) but the trick to FSX seems to be the most powerful CPU you can afford. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

First off I have to say no Vista will not make things any better. Vista can make things run smoother under some circumstances, but not prettier (except under even more rare circumstances). DX10 is not worth the switch to Vista alone. However, if you need more memory Vista does offer better memory handling and that would be about it.For the rest of it I think I should defer to one of the bigger experts of FSX (some of which should cruise by soon), or hardware gurus. I could point you in something like the right direction, but most likely with so little time to compose something good I would only confuse you. So, if you haven't gotten squared by the time I get back from three days off for Christmas, then I'll offer more.

I have a few theories of my own. We both run Windows XP Pro and use DirectX9 with standard CRT monitors. My thought is that either 1) our monitors are the issue, 2) We need DirectX10/Vista to get the better graphics, or 3) Something we missed. Can anyone help me confirm if DX10/Vista is needed to attain the better graphics, or do you think it's something else? We hope that our money wasn't wasted on equipment that on paper was 3x better, but only turned out to be marginally effective.
1. Have you installed FSX SP2 or Acceleration?2. Would you post your fsx.cfg? I am sure a few tweaks will make a big difference.

Question is what do you mean there is no improvement. Do you mean fps hasnt increased, is it a blurry thing, or is a a terrain detail thing. If you want your mountains to look like mountains you will need to get an add on like FS global 2008 that improves the underlying mesh, if you want your cities to look more real there are other addons. Maybe a screenshot would help.

Ahh, GPU is the way to go? Dad and I both thought our GPUs were good as they were. In fact, we can't replace them now, not enough funds. Maybe in the near future. As for exactly what is wrong? Dad sees no discernible increase in framerate. Going from a 6200 to a 9800 for me, was like night and day, but Dad tells me he's not noticing much of a difference, and that his graphics still hang up sligtly doing scertain actions, like adding power to the throttle for takeoff, and turning on the taxiway. We're going to keep looking for free solutions in the meantime. We're maxed out for our free funds at the moment.Someone also asked for our CFG file. If anyone can see something that would make a difference in it, we'd be appreciative to know.The CFG fle below is my dads and mine (we both have the same setup for our CFGs)fsx.cfg:

[sOUND]AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000SOUND_FADER1=0.500000SOUND_FADER2=0.500000SOUND_FADER3=0.810000SOUND_FADER4=0.750000AmbientUIMusic=FSX01PrimaryDevice={BD6DD71A-3DEB-11D1-B171-00C04FC20002}VoiceDevice={BD6DD71A-3DEB-11D1-B171-00C04FC20002}SOUND=1SOUND_QUALITY=2SOUND_LOD=0UISound=1AmbientUI=1[Display]ChangeTime=4.000000TransitionTime=4.000000ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoBrakesEnable=TrueInfoParkingBrakesEnable=TrueInfoPauseEnable=TrueInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=TrueInfoOverspeedEnable=TrueBLOOM_EFFECTS=0SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=34UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=23WideViewAspect=False[Main]User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\BoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\MiscProcSpeed=4262PerfBucket=5HideMenuNormal=0HideMenuFullscreen=1Location=580,121,1612,895,\\.\DISPLAY1Maximized=1FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.30[PANELS]IMAGE_QUALITY=1DEFAULT_VIEW=0QUICKTIPS=1PANEL_OPACITY=100PANEL_MASKING=1PANEL_STRETCHING=1UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0[Weather]WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1MinGustTime=10MaxGustTime=500MinGustRampSpeed=1MaxGustRampSpeed=200MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=10MaxVarRampSpeed=75TurbulenceScale=1.000000WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.comWeatherServerPort=80WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1DynamicWeather=2DownloadWindsAloft=0DisableTurbulence=0CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3DETAILED_CLOUDS=0CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=5THERMAL_VISUALS=0[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache.0]Mode=1024x768x32AntiAlias=1Anisotropic=1[AccelerationPack]ControlsFirstRun=0HomePageFirstRun=0[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=StandardKBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64[TextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6[TextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2GForce=1,3FuelPercentage=1,4[TextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2GForce=2,3FuelPercentage=2,4[slewTextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5[slewTextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2[slewTextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672D3D10=0TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=512NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=1GROUND_SHADOWS=0TEXTURE_QUALITY=3IMAGE_QUALITY=0See_Self=1Text_Scroll=1[Trusted]C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.urbzqiabirqouuqebrhzetrteruuuwrbltkhqckt=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\iFly747-400.GAU.kqkwoaqeuclzazaanzqeihhaouzhchhuertbuzuc=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bendix_King_Radio.DLL.zhrccrbkhuaahunninrbuaknztubzuunntzlokzh=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\737-400.DLL.citqacbowectzzaizrehoahenaczceukkilbkrqz=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_01_gate.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_02_airport.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_03_muzak1.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_04_muzak2.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_05_muzak3.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_06_turbulence on.GAU.qulwoiihkbnqbtzhituruuzeauikuatrortroeuq=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_07_turbulence off.GAU.qulwoiihkbnqbtzhituruuzeauikuatrortroeuq=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_08_gate departure.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_09_pushback.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_10_safety message.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_11_safety video.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_12_takeoff.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_13_climb.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_14_cruise.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_15_meal service.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_16_movie.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_17_begin descent.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_18_on approach.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_19_on final.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_20_taxi to gate.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FDSFX_21_gate arrival.GAU.rceohbultktzriutolueeczttonzoourtwzwzbqe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\EH101.DLL.kcwazqotlnwtbzkcotlrwahbiizubhialboobowk=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bell_206B.DLL.haaercrckrclitkrqownzekkkbnuiqciuhobuizb=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Magnetic_Compass.DLL.kuinqorwhntthqwnwiiarwliocetwekieczeeqqh=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Mitsubishi_F-2A\panel\dsd_xml_sound3.GAU.iathbhwrcwnlnbqraaenlqtaheeluqaqnatbzktu=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\F16.GAU.iohnhoeurlbikozrwkcuwncnzkbokqnzahiralik=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\kingair.DLL.hcoqobnqznnwcworlioriiuwkeurnqqrhtrhekta=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Boeing777-300.GAU.ecowcultloorkahinbzrbleinwuqqzaitzihcqzo=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Mooney_Bravo.DLL.uriurlzutoturbueqtreoblurcaahbezlzhaeoit=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\cessna208.GAU.iitohnqizquwbcllnrbhubcowachbtknkwcweukr=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bendix_King_Radio.DLL.ouwzhltcklakhtlrlcahewbkwkntiilkeaikatot=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\X-02\panel\F16.GAU.iohnhoeurlbikozrwkcuwncnzkbokqnzahiralik=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\X-02\panel\Concorde.GAU.zoquinqeowkrwnbqwlebuhlrtazqokklbinqnnit=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna.DLL.uilloihootcicohhuohtkihbewhtuhlzcboeklno=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\BoeingGeneric.DLL.bknqqthlieztreeurobiruwnuhoiqeounloibtii=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\OS772_Trent800_L_BAW_YMMB\panel\F100_Gear.GAU.qokealqlhecaqiqneolknlebibkqtukakiuorehb=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\OS772_Trent800_L_BAW_YMMB\panel\Autobrake_V2.GAU.oazbbtqlkbhrzwheccuzbrukhhbhkehbchqtteue=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\OS772_Trent800_L_BAW_YMMB\panel\F16.GAU.rokarzuhileuoiwleitkckrththtbiqnwhornriw=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\dsd_xml_sound.GAU.btkzliqzuwqketuhlkeeqbuekiuaocitainzeczh=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\dsd_catapult.GAU.uowitaublahkeuahnhoazthubbtrwqeczwuebkkh=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\COP3/WindowStatus.GAU.cekzebaaabcelilikraabkuzqcqnacqbcnrauhue=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\dsd_arrester.GAU.oaarnokhiqwcrunwqhunkwkwancuqzrathlouhzk=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\COP3/CarrierZones.GAU.hnkwboenkwzuokukeuhiokeoozcuqoohorulcbtt=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\COP3/Config.GAU.bbakbilwutzwwbznekerhtqqtlzzkklanqazaeza=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\COP3/Sound.DLL.ookuueihcaicctzhinlahuthrqwrbiowcczlqrne=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\COP3/SpeedControl.DLL.wrhnwtzolliizqkrkiwulzaizcwuuliukcolhbeu=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\_pd_asi8.GAU.luaktekutnanhneuquukrebeqhkicetkrnckzbnn=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\_PD_ALT1.GAU.oalanwkhqqnkbhunweqrkhcibnqeqqlqbukrcaiq=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\F14.hsi.GAU.bulnochnnwkzekcuqiqkcarqeoauhlnourrozqbu=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\F162K_ADI.GAU.lqcwoiroihcthunnhhhqbciaqtaaeoheekoaaiza=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f162k_aoa.GAU.rnecbqotrobtcircweituhqzelqwwwkncoitlnwr=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f162k_aoaind.GAU.cqaitanuoeihqoterzhtkkzzuknrkhltoawhwqzu=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f162k_TAPERA.GAU.ewzzrraqucnuqrkeabzrkecwacekbianzoetlbtw=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\nl_fsd_rf4.rpm.1.GAU.cobkwzalhlqbcrebztzrcnzoelkozqnwaeoaheel=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\nl_fsd_rf4.ff.1.GAU.taorqlnccziraqbrchuzbiqrzkicikawokiiilic=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\v767.omi.GAU.rinznhiukliakwnwztzuculrruqiziebouohekua=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\_PD_AOA.GAU.eahlhbrwikaeekbkrbqunellbqwqbtqqowethwre=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\_PDvv1.GAU.bowoqtqnnqbolwbhhnoentaazzubokkwikqwkkut=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CFR_warn.parkbrake.GAU.ztncweqniqzckttoinhaqouttzzheqitlrtrwiqc=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CFR_fsd_warn.overspeed.GAU.zzcounwhqeaoballknzuhochowciizubrzialoic=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\fsd_warn.dh.GAU.olnhrbnaohleuwaceqkqnzhqneblhlkuzqzouchc=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\fsd_warn.stall.GAU.wbiwkuwquqkhwaunblhwtlookbbwtlrrektcqhnz=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FSD_warn.oil.l_0001.GAU.chnnkuqzoaoqinrooequzhkbowhniqchitenwbne=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\fsd_warn.gear.GAU.bkchntukrnnukwkrarokqcuatonolaqlwtownhic=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\HV609Warn.GAU.qlrbelehtuccchezhwenoetlikutarttlcnklile=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\JAS39.attitude.GAU.kluuqaibukbcizebobahkrloltnlbbrwiketquio=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\JSF.pullup.GAU.qlrbelehtuccchezhwenoetlikutarttlcnklile=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\falcon_Stikhand.GAU.hbreqizcrrecnhhatetcqqabaonwweaahzecnzui=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\falcon_Thrthand.GAU.tbzrrqithwnuhzbhckiaokntincuanebzqlerowt=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\atr.toggle31.GAU.qrkwkuhterletqcihtoaobkieqlilloribwocukw=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f162k_config.GAU.rbznarwwqwiretawkzzckaqzcornotiqaaihzoeb=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CONCORDE.GAU.aqczankozzeanikociiiqniwwnzqunhzqzkzqzco=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f162k_autopilot.GAU.qloncoorzhqhbobilqhuiooiuquaweizahkecioe=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\viper_HUD_ADI.GAU.cnbownakknbawtaitorzrahnbqwkwaqwqcchnian=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\fa18hsi.GAU.nbqqheeelbtzklhazurrarborriknuqoqichenir=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\fa-18.DLL.kunnzaaoouwtnrkouihrenaklkqcwaniottqibit=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna172.DLL.nkorceaaiieokaocnroecwhqnnklcqbuainlaibe=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182s.DLL.irwakzqoczqhetanucrbhuaiohnttrleikzlubnk=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaWAlpha.DLL.qqewrwqztzczzurqunhzubhcqacchcnkaqckzkzo=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\KingAir_Radio.DLL.auecqtizoazouoazkohbuliqboroliirotublroh=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FSD_WARN.OVERSPEED.GAU.whutzqqtluqatkzlohtobocbluzbnkrqnrlteblr=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\fsd_warn.parkbrake.GAU.crlowlkhqchqzutkhbalcuchwtubnzalontlzoni=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\F16.GAU.iohnhoeurlbikozrwkcuwncnzkbokqnzahiralik=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\dbmf1autopilot.GAU.awelrwqhwlzhikbacutirrwcheqkurunqkoczbir=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\MACH3D.GAU.tctueqbertbbnhuarnnitankthtecatitttitcht=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\superkingair_rpy.GAU.rcrwiqbunubaktqzqiwohcqkbnhutazqzukatczt=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\B609.power.GAU.tateakonbbloiqnzkiowraukhwneuieuebotqilc=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\TA7x7.START.GAU.oikuzabcklcnbzhhhrrkcqwknqquzubnerqlbrbc=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\cf18a_aoa.GAU.qhaolkuzhwnhntwkcoekukiznucrrrozlqqlaelr=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\cf18a_Gearind.GAU.eaheizkkiawchcqoktiinnriebntreitqnqrhauc=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\Isplr.GAU.unobkqzluucicaerilcebtrbqnalblccoitqqkrr=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\f18digchron.GAU.cbbkkcibhacubuqruktqcqnhuzizcttrhawwqllb=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\B2.RADAR.GAU.eeaoinekbtnkocacroowbcwwhcaklhteenwcqcoa=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\Vulc3.Radios.GAU.lchocokqwewqcuthabwclqkqclucnwqwbninkrbr=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\Turbprop.fuelshutoff2.GAU.zowenzrnhntlebnuhreaqaruwhetbwwrlrthlrqn=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Eurofighter Typhoon\panel\Turbprop.fuelshutoff1.GAU.bouqzatzuciicowwaiobzekwcrtcuawilkhqwbko=0C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FeelThere\CitationX\CitationXH.dll.uqnrrnrzzrawhukieukrnrhnurawrbbuauiuktwc=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\feelThere PIC Citation X\panel\CitationXX.GAU.bntqerhaebubzrctqultwhzoncicneautkhhiett=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FSWXR2100.GAU.zocirtiihihitwzhkokckqtlllraaliwlaewkaea=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\JAS_39C_GRIPEN\panel\F16.GAU.kotiorlkzazeeizhebottherqootwatioouwihcq=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Gripen SS\panel\F16.GAU.kotiorlkzazeeizhebottherqootwatioouwihcq=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f162k_pfd.GAU.ubaznwrbhwrbhblcwzeeczkqqattaiqabhcoubui=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f22.hsi.3.GAU.wutbweciruokiqonhqeczlrzahblkitihinqrnae=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\SE.EICAS.GAU.awonlkncornzqhqlhukrotoblnaqutcthrocaitc=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\SE.thrust.GAU.eilwcrirnechcttntwraekcecnwlnolqtczoknan=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\SE2.flaps.GAU.hzinbbtuahirwurcnkekhelqrkaeowrcuuohcorb=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f22.gear.GAU.zrucwbwazrikkcrnncozoeauaaroctwthrkniaun=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\c17_hudasi.GAU.zktqqzicuihrctittwuakqrabeqlazauuohqcqqi=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\c17_hudralt.GAU.rwnahlanacrahclrliblcknnzwwqlhihbqwwrkte=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\c17_hudhdg.GAU.zchtilnqqctqirlilruwnacwirciktlkinqautta=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f162k_hudvsi2.GAU.uqazrbcowzewwchtwlnirnnhzuniuznachhznonl=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\F-22_Aoa.GAU.lkoutkrchaewothloztzhqoliqzchaeaoohiwlur=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f162k_hudcmp.GAU.tweriuklqlkouwubnrurbwuiubqicrluzlulzuqa=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\f15j_radio.GAU.ooeqkrtzenubclanbrttcreblbkhbohbqzwbttur=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\F_ap.GAU.lnikhqanhchzuktuukkhcibezqaeiankwnibbzzk=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Vorona Boeing 777\panel\Boeing777-300.GAU.ecowcultloorkahinbzrbleinwuqqzaitzihcqzo=2[DynamicHeadMovement]LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000MaxHeadAngle=5.000000MaxHeadOffset=0.300000HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000[VirtualCopilot]VirtualCopilotActive=0[uSERINTERFACE]ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1SelectAircraftManufacturer=AllSelectAircraftPublisher=AllSelectAircraftType=AllPageID=1OpenATCOnCreate=0DisplayFuelAsWeight=0SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=1PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIMMap_Orientation=2[FlightPlanMap]LineWidth=2SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_waypoints=1show_airways=1show_markers=1show_volume_boundaries=1show_ac_twr=1[ATC]ShowATCText=1COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFFCOMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21BCOMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1UsePilotVoice=1PilotVoice=0[PointOfInterestSystem]CycleSetting=0[sCENERY]LENSFLARE=1DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=2[TrafficManager]AirlineDensity=72GADensity=20FreewayDensity=0ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0LeisureBoatsDensity=0IFROnly=0AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=3.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=60MESH_RESOLUTION=18TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=23AUTOGEN_DENSITY=0TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800 DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=3[AContain]ShowLabels=1ShowUserLabel=0ShowLabelManufacturer=1ShowLabelModel=1ShowLabelTailNumber=1ShowLabelDistance=1ShowLabelAltitude=1ShowLabelAirline=0ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0ShowLabelFlightPlan=0ShowLabelContainerId=0ShowLabelAirspeed=0ShowLabelHeading=0LabelDelay=1000LabelColor=FFE8E811[iNTERNATIONAL]ASLAT=2ASLON=1MEASURE=0[REALISM]PFactor=0.500000Torque=0.500000GyroEffect=0.500000CrashTolerance=0.500000General=0.500000UnlimitedFuel=FalseAllowEngineDamage=TrueTrueAirspeed=FalseAutoCoord=FalseRealMixture=FalseStressDamage=FalseGEffect=TrueManualLights=TrueGyroDrift=FalseCrashWithDyn=FalseCrashDetection=TrueAutoTrim=False[sIM]SYSCLOCK=1[sTARTUP]DEMO=0SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1STARTUP_DEMO=LoadWindow=1[FACILITIES]COUNTRY=STATE=CITY=GTL_BUTTON=1275[Misc]Com_Rate=7[MAPVIEW_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_flight_history=1[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1[WeatherMap]SHOW_AIRPORTS=0SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=0SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=0SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1[MULTIPLAYER]condAccoutPassword=0VoiceVolume=1.500000[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT .0]Mode=1024x768x32Anisotropic=1AntiAlias=1
The important thing is our machines run, and FSX is playable. We'd just like to know a reason why the performance hasn't gone up. Cheers and a happy holidays to everyone!

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache™.0]Mode=1024x768x32Look above, your cfg file still shows the old graphics card. Change it manually to read your new card. You will see an improvement. Chances are your FSX in settings will still display your old card too.You should up your resolution too, will make a huge difference.
Actually, your fsx.cfg shows both cards. Just delete the old one.Alternately, rename fsx.cfg to fsx.bak and let FSX build a new file.Definitely go with the highest resolution that your monitor will support.1280x960 looks much better than 1024x768 for example.I'm not sure that going from an 8600 to a 9800 will buy you that much in FSX... but it should buy you some performance.

Bert

Looks like good responses! Two things I noticed right off are aircraft shadows are on which you dont really need and the LOD_RADIUS is set for 3.5 which is medium I know, but you can push it higher once you get your resolution higher. The 8XXX and 9XXX cards dont really get good performance until the resolution is set higher (best at 1600x1200 or higher) and they work with the high definition widescreens even better then 4:3 monitors from my experience. Once you get that working you can use FSXMark07 (available in the file library) to manually tune your LOD settings for best look/frame rates. I actually get better performance with a value much higher then the 'slider' allows (the slider goes from 2.5 - 4.5), but you will have to test it on your system to find out what works best for you. I would not set LOD radius higher then 9.9 or so.With your CPU you may have commercial AI set a little high. Are you using default AI, or an addon package? What other addons do you have installed? Replacing traffic with an addon (no matter which way you go) will be an improvement over default traffic. I like to recommend World of AI (WOAI), but it is a package intended for 2004 and will require some manual effort to get it working perfectly with FSX (you cannot use DX10 or aircraft shadows, and any prop textures will have to modified for proper transparency). With traffic you also get better looking scenery with 3D Lights Redux from A2A Simulations.

There are already many good advices like regenerating a new fsx.cfg and raising the resolution and graphics settings. The followings are some fsx.cfg tweaks you need to add them using notepad or an editor, I give you some suggesting values which you need to try by yourself:[bufferPools]PoolSize= (8000000 - 20000000, smooth the aircraft or view turning)[Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION= (0.20 - 0.60, fps/blur tweak)[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS= (5.500000 - 8.500000, reduce the blur by the price of memory and loading time)TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800 (Autogen tree tweak, You alreay have this one)TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800 (Autogen building tweak, you should tweak it as well)

There are already many good advices like regenerating a new fsx.cfg and raising the resolution and graphics settings. The followings are some fsx.cfg tweaks you need to add them using notepad or an editor, I give you some suggesting values which you need to try by yourself:[bufferPools]PoolSize= (8000000 - 20000000, smooth the aircraft or view turning)[Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION= (0.20 - 0.60, fps/blur tweak)[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS= (5.500000 - 8.500000, reduce the blur by the price of memory and loading time)TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800 (Autogen tree tweak, You alreay have this one)TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800 (Autogen building tweak, you should tweak it as well)
Just a word of caution regarding these tweaks.. while they may help, they can also make things worse..If you are struggling with marginal performance, cutting back on things with the sliders in FSX should be your first(and possibly only) course of action.Reduce shadows, traffic, autogen, scenery complexity, mesh complexity etc (roughly in that order)

Bert

With your CPU you may have commercial AI set a little high. Are you using default AI, or an addon package? What other addons do you have installed? Replacing traffic with an addon (no matter which way you go) will be an improvement over default traffic. I like to recommend World of AI (WOAI), but it is a package intended for 2004 and will require some manual effort to get it working perfectly with FSX (you cannot use DX10 or aircraft shadows, and any prop textures will have to modified for proper transparency). With traffic you also get better looking scenery with 3D Lights Redux from A2A Simulations.
I have a good bunch of free addons from both AVSim and Simviation. Among them is the iFly Boeing 747, and the World of AI package, which I absolutely love. The rest of the suggestions sound familiar, but I'll try them all at this point. I have nothing better to do tomorrow, so tweaking FSX will be how I spend my day :) I'll let you know if I still have problems, but thanks for taking the time to help me out here! It's really appreciated.