Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Memory Usage Fs9 Xp Vs. Vista

HiI think that You have some kind of Memory Leak.I didn't try this flight (I will try later), but my oppinion is that too much memory is used.If you have UT Europe, try to install latest patch (1.12). This solved my mem usage problems. Edin

HiI think that You have some kind of Memory Leak.I didn't try this flight (I will try later), but my oppinion is that too much memory is used.If you have UT Europe, try to install latest patch (1.12). This solved my mem usage problems. Edin
Well. I do admit that I have many many sceneries installed, but I did some tests with ONLY FS9 + UT, and still memory was rising permanently. And under Vista, memory is rising much slower and usually stays way below 2GB limit. And I also have the latest patches.

Well. I do admit that I have many many sceneries installed, but I did some tests with ONLY FS9 + UT, and still memory was rising permanently. And under Vista, memory is rising much slower and usually stays way below 2GB limit. And I also have the latest patches.
HiI will try tonight.So , just Info about memory usage.The first screen at EFRO (freeware snenery or...) is taken after few minutes or....Just to know when to look mem usage. Thanks

Word Not Allowed:You mentioned another notorious memory leaker which is UT. UT was the culprit for my OOM errors on transatlantic flights approaching and decending into the NYC metro area. This is actually a documented occurance and I have found quite a few others here that will OOM in the same general area as me.Trust me on this one! The things you have mentioned are EXACTLY the same symptoms as I had. The solution was a 64-bit OS. I know it is a hassle to reinstall everything, and lose the use of some of your programs that may not be compatible. However, the gains in performance and stability made a few hours of hassle well worth the trouble AND all popular addons work flawlessly with Vista 64 bit AFAIK.I can't stress enough that with all the 'magic bullet' garbage floating around here for this and that it is hard to believe that there is actually a REAL magic bullet for something. Vista 64 is indeed the closest thing to a magic bullet for what ails your FS9 (or FSX) that I've encounted.

Hi guys.I tryied same scenery with B747 PMDG.But only at EFRO rwy21.I leave it for 1h and my memory usage was between 800,000k and 817,000K which is normal memory usage.And I have UT Europe with lots of addon scenery.As I said before you have some kind of memory leak.I tested under WinXp .Edin

Hi guys.I tryied same scenery with B747 PMDG.But only at EFRO rwy21.I leave it for 1h and my memory usage was between 800,000k and 817,000K which is normal memory usage.And I have UT Europe with lots of addon scenery.As I said before you have some kind of memory leak.I tested under WinXp .Edin
With what program did you read your memory with? And could you please post the screenshot of your memory usage together with an open fs9 in windowed...?
Word Not Allowed:You mentioned another notorious memory leaker which is UT. UT was the culprit for my OOM errors on transatlantic flights approaching and decending into the NYC metro area. This is actually a documented occurance and I have found quite a few others here that will OOM in the same general area as me.Trust me on this one! The things you have mentioned are EXACTLY the same symptoms as I had. The solution was a 64-bit OS. I know it is a hassle to reinstall everything, and lose the use of some of your programs that may not be compatible. However, the gains in performance and stability made a few hours of hassle well worth the trouble AND all popular addons work flawlessly with Vista 64 bit AFAIK.I can't stress enough that with all the 'magic bullet' garbage floating around here for this and that it is hard to believe that there is actually a REAL magic bullet for something. Vista 64 is indeed the closest thing to a magic bullet for what ails your FS9 (or FSX) that I've encounted.
The least of my problems is "reinstalling". I am already so quick about it, have everything ready and backed up, that installing all apps is couple of hours of work.But it is not a complete solution.I guess its either BAV or 64bit OS. Or an external laptop ($$$) for the applications.

There is, don't know the name, since I'm not using it, not a fan of photoreal textures.But I think little search around forums will show some quick results. I believe it loads its textures from google earth.And btw., I ment the first shot, which has blurry mountains, all other shots except last one, which have unlimited visibility. I believe setting fs9.cfg to:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=your choicewill pretty much give you much better results.Plus you gotta use limited visibility like in the last shot!
Thanks for this little reminder. On my old system, these settings didn't matter much so I had discounted them. On the new system, they made quite a difference. I guess FS-9 exploits these tweaks only if a video card/system supports it.I have purchased FS-X. It runs well, but I find myself flying FS-9 just as much. FS-9 is buttery smooth on my new system. I finally understand what simmers mean when they say "I have no stutters, my textures stay sharp". I am enjoying FS-X for it's AI, boat and vehicle traffic, as well as its increased texture res. But when I am flying in the flight levels, I feel FS-9 can't be beat now. Also, for those thinking of Vista-64, FS9 is very stable. I have run it for hours at a time now, no issues or hiccups.Regards,John

HiI read memory usage with Windows Task manager (CTRL+Alt+del)Here is the screen
Ehasanov, this is complete false measurement. Measuring with Task Manager gives you no real memory usage of FS9. You HAVE to use process explorer and virtual size, which gives the correct numbers, especially considering OOMs.

Hi guys,I'm wondering... for those amongst us that are still reluctant to switch from XP 32bits to Vista 64bits... Could XP 64bits be an alternative to avoid the dreaded OOM errors??Cheers,Sylvain

Download my repaints at AVSIM.

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT 256Mb - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - Western Digital 250Gb - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP2 - FS2004

Hi guys,I'm wondering... for those amongst us that are still reluctant to switch from XP 32bits to Vista 64bits... Could XP 64bits be an alternative to avoid the dreaded OOM errors??Cheers,Sylvain
Yes, it is a good alternative, only possible problem is the higher memory usage under XP generally compared to Vista.

So, this is an end of the successful flight under XP64. ESSA to EGLL.End memory usage: 2.906.916mb.64bits allowing almost no limits. It's pretty weird that on approach, memory usage went from 1800 to 2800 (very quick), I have no idea what could be causing that.

Thanks Word Not Allowed!I strongly consider using XP64 for my next system build so it's good to see it runs FS2004, complex addon scenery and PMDG birds like it should...Cheers,Sylvain

Download my repaints at AVSIM.

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT 256Mb - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - Western Digital 250Gb - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP2 - FS2004

Yup, I'm due for my yearly format and I'm making the switch to Vista 64bit.I just did a flight KORD/KJFK in the PMDG 747 and got the dreaded OOM gong on short final. In the past I was using the 3GB tweak but AES will not work with that "hack" so I stopped using it. Enough is enough.....

Yup, I'm due for my yearly format and I'm making the switch to Vista 64bit.I just did a flight KORD/JFK in the PMDG 747 and got the dreaded OOM gong on short final. I was using the 3GB tweak but AES will not work with that "hack" so enough is enough.....
I think I will be keeping XP64 for now. If FS9 is working OK under it, no reason to go Vista64. 3GB tweaks are not enough any more, since one can see, it even goes near 3GB limit.Under Vista32 I had unexplained crashes, which didn't have any apparent connection to OOMs.