Sign in to follow this  
stabell

Cumulus In Fs9 Kills Framerates, Sollution?

Hi!FS9, 3.2 Dual Core, 8800GTS, 3GB usable RAM.The problem is that using AA makes the cumulus clouds to bring FPS down to less than 10.I can sit on an airport with 60 FPS.A ton of cumulus clouds only bring down FPS a little.But any use of AA will eat all my FPS, making it unflyable.Question:Are there anyone on this entire forum using FS9, with any kind of AA in use, that can put on a low overcast of cumulusclouds, without the framerate being divided by four?If so, I would love to hear what kind of AA they are using (NHancer setting?).Marry Cristmas!Tore,Oslo,Norway.

Hmmm...with your system, filtering shouldn't be a problem. As an experiment, try turning off AA and AS in Nhancer and Nvidia control pannel and use in game AA. There may be no AA in Create a Flight, but it should work in game. Other people's settings may not work well for you. So when you go back to Nvidia Control Pannel, go through each setting carefully and experiment. And Merry Christmas to you.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

thank you for replying!In-game-AA has never worked for me in FS9, ever.Word Not Allowed: How much is your FPS reduced, compared to no-weather, when you turn on a solid, ground licking overcast of cumulus clouds?And if you answer is "not very much", can you give details about video card, driver version, nHancer version, the lot;=I want what you have;)

Guest djt01
Question:Are there anyone on this entire forum using FS9, with any kind of AA in use, that can put on a low overcast of cumulusclouds, without the framerate being divided by four?If so, I would love to hear what kind of AA they are using (NHancer setting?).
I

That was some fine screenshots! (OMG!)You did not test a complete, low overcast of cumulus, but I believe that is not a problem with your monster computer:)I forgot to tell that I am using TripleHeadToGo with 3840x1024, which is of course a big resolution.But it still doesn't explain whay just rendering of clouds with AA should kill it all. I am getting 100-200 FPS in cruise.I am wondering if I should change drivers again - I have done that a hundred times over the years.. - to see If I can duplicate your quality.Of course, I have only a 8800GTS card, but then again I do not require more than 100 FPS.. I was very impressed with the sharp scenery as well, and of course the quality of the scenery (is it just Ultimate terrain?)Thank you for the settings - I will try them out.

- already tried out!New 180-drivers, after removing and cleaning with driver cleaner, restarts, etc.New version of Matrox triplehead software.The problem is as usual, I'm afraid:AA is only working in full screen, but looking very good and sharp.High frame rates, until I put on a overcast cloud. Then it is down to 8-10.And there is a strange difference between windowed and full screen, for some reason. Only AA in full screen.Maybe there is something with the 8800GTS card, that has a hard job rendering 3D clouds and anti alising it, I don't know.Will investigate further - as always;)

Checked, tested and re-tested. Changing from fair weather to low, big overcast only brings down FPS a little - in windowed mode. That's of course because AA is not workingin windowed.Then switch to fullscreen: AA works like a charm, everything crisp and clear, and FPS down from 60 to 8-10.And the stupidest thing is that I cannot see any difference wether the clouds are antialized or not! So it is a total waste of FPS;)It does not seem to be a big difference in FPS if I use ActiveSkyGraphics 128x128 clouds or big, 1024-clouds from FEX,it is the antialiasing of the clouds that hurts. It is like bloom in FSX, only three times worse.I have been looking through literally hundred forums to see if I could find any information about cloud rendering in FS9,as there seem to be something related to my GTS8800 ren dering clouds, or of course something in my FS9.cfg file.Changed yesterday from a relatively old driver to the new 180, and that did not do the trick.I was about to buy ASA to really get that nice weather, but that is of now not the first thing to do.One could of course live without AA, but it is a real turnoff, as you know.Anyone, please..:)

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem. Clouds kill my FPS. I upgraded over Christmas holiday from an 8600GTS to a 9800GTX+. My sim experience has been awesome with the new card except on cloudy days. Low res or high res clouds don't make the difference at all. Don't know if it's the cirrus or cumulus or both. Fog has no effect on FPS that I can tell. The other killer is AI. If I turn off AI my FPS doubles. But playing "I Am Legend" isn't my bag.Dolph

unfortunately not solved the problem. Low overcast brings FSP down to a slide show.Miguel: The picture you attached I could not see, I got an error from AVSIM that I was not able to see it because I was not logged in, even if I was.So there is an AVSIM problem. But perhaps you can tell what was in the picture;)