Sign in to follow this  
Guest brknlinn

Asa Clouds & Overcast

Guest brknlinn

This something I have been fighting with for a few days.I start ASA or ASX and everything loads fine. I click on the map icon and check the metars at several different airports and it is an exact match with the metars downloaded from

Hi there,Thanks for the detailed information in your feedback...From the sounds of it, since this is with ASX and ASA, it seems like the current synthesized conditions include less-than-overcast, but the low visibility is making it appear "overcast". When you fly above the visibility and it eventually clears, you see the less-than-overcast cloud depiction now without the visibility restriction. This is just a guess, can you confirm this may be happening? We have some things we are working on right now to improve IMC-related condition representation, and this situtation is on the list for improvement. Any and all feedback from all users is much appreciated.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest brknlinn
Hi there,Thanks for the detailed information in your feedback...From the sounds of it, since this is with ASX and ASA, it seems like the current synthesized conditions include less-than-overcast, but the low visibility is making it appear "overcast". When you fly above the visibility and it eventually clears, you see the less-than-overcast cloud depiction now without the visibility restriction. This is just a guess, can you confirm this may be happening? I

Guest coops

I had a similar problem with ASX in which the weather would not load at my origin airport. I simply could not get the weather to match what was in ASX. I noticed that it was updating the weaather correctly gllobally but not for the individual stations and FSX would only depict the individual stations. I removed SP2 and all of a sudden the weather depicted correctly at origin. Unfortunately by the time I flew to my destination, the same problem occurred there. I have a feeling that SP2 is not all it's cracked up to be but I can't be sure as I have not isolated all variables yet. i will keep trying.

Guest brknlinn

COOPSI think your right about SP2 for FSX but unfortunately there is a plane in my stable that requires SP2. IMHO SP2 created more problems than it fixed for what its worth.

Guest coops
COOPSI think your right about SP2 for FSX but unfortunately there is a plane in my stable that requires SP2. IMHO SP2 created more problems than it fixed for what its worth.
Yeah Level D and FS Dreamteam require SP2 (although there is a fix for Level D using SP1) but for what it's worth I am keeping it in. I am trying uninstalls and re-installs to see if order might be a problem but who knows. As with any new product, you just have to wait for the bugs to get ironed with an inevitable patch. It's true for any software. I like ASX and will remain here until I see the threads lessen for ASA

Guest brknlinn

I thought I would post a follow up on this problem with ASX & ASA. In my original post I talked about clouds and overcast clearing when it should not have. Well after some more flights and further observation I notice that not only the clouds & overcast were wrong but the entire weather picture changed and was incorrect. The winds just up and quit, the barometric pressure & temperature switched ISA Standard. I would arrive at an airport that should be cold, windy & snowy with low ceilings and poor visibility, instead it would be clear & sunny. When I click on the report tab in ASX or ASA the metar indicated that it should cold windy & snowy with low vis. Basically both ASX & ASA quit working shortly after take off. I tried numerous changes to the setting in ASX, ASA & FSX with no luck. I also tried to reinstall the ASX & ASA, again no luck in making it work.What I ended up doing was a complete uninstalling of ASX, ASA, SP2 for FSX and some simconnect files from the Windows folder. Then using my FSX dvd I repaired the FSX Files, reinstalled FSX SP1 & SP2. Then reinstalled only ASX and all of the related service packs.After all of this I tried ASX and it work 100% on the money with close to perfect depiction as you can get. I used both real time weather and also downloaded a dozen historical weather files. With each and every flight, I would say the weather depiction was 100% accurateNext I reinstalled ASA and did a flight with real time weather and everything appeared to work correctly. Then I tried a dozen historical weather files and only 4 of these twelve flights had what I would call accurate weather. The other 8 flights the weather was nowhere close to what the ASA metars said the weather should look like. I then tried another real time weather flight; again the weather was way off the mark. I went back to one of the historical flights that work correctly and re-downloaded the weather, flew the flight and it worked perfect. The following day I tried another flight with real time weather and it worked perfect. Next I downloaded the weather from the flight time when I first re-installed ASA and it was a dead on match to the metars. To summarize it appears that ASA has a problem communicating with FSX, 8 of 12 times on historical flights it did not work correctly. And not much better on real time flights. Now before anybody thinks I

I also tend to see a lack of full overcast when overflying a large area of pure overcast conditions (so even with the interpolation it should be showing overcast), so I don't think it's just a matter of interpolation. Perhaps bring back the option of the enhanced overcast / double layer?This is one reason I actually like the FSX haze layer - it at least does a good job of masking the terrain below the cloud deck in IMC conditions. Unfortunately some addon or another before ASA has edited the file and I lost the haze and can't seem to get it back. Is there any chance someone at HiFiSim has the original haze textures and could send it to me? If so please PM me, thanks.

And to the other members here, has anyone else experienced this with the ASA program?If so, did you find a way to correct it or work around it? If so please share.
Great post. Pretty well summarises the frustrations I have with the program.Work arounds are hit and miss. The only way I can successfully get good depiction is to:Start FSX THEN start ASA (all contrary to what's supposed to be done).If I change location the whole communication thing goes haywire.

Yes we are looking into this.
I thought you were, that's why I added to the post. Thanks for the update.

I know you all are looking into this, but I'll add I experience this on and off using ASA with FS9.1. Weather is great for most of the flight, then depiction goes to clear and sunny even though the metar and ASA map still shows thick clouds and low overcast.

hello people !i have the same problem. the depiction seems to be correct, on the ground, but after departure and climbing through (about) 5000feet this first overcast layer ,or fog in this case,disappears and i can see the ground very clear!and my FSX haze, or fog layer, is also away after disabling/enabling "disable haze layer" and "fog layer generation" option in ASA (do this means that i have to see this layer from above or only when in fly in ????) but i have change some textures or sets in REX on the same time, probably this causes the missing of the haze layer ?? (i will copy the backup of my textures folder and will see which side of bread is buttered on ! :-) !but anyway the ASA looks much better than somer oder weather addons ! thank you for the job ! i hope some day this overcast problem and visibility problem (hope note hardcored in FSX engine??) would bee resolved, than we have "as real as it gets" ( i hope bevor FSX 11 or whatelse) !that will be a big step to the reality !nice greetings und great job, thank you !!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Hi,Is disable haze layer on or off?Is fog layer on or off?Thanks,