Sign in to follow this  

Md-11: Where's The Full Explanation Of The Pfd, Nd Etc?

I am looking through the manuals but I can't find a clear and full 'explanation for newbies' of all displays. Luckily I have flown various big ones a few years back, so I am getting along alright (well, with the tutorial anyway), but not everything is clear to me. (I wonder if a complete newbie to these kind of planes will ever understand all screens!) I remember from my previous planes I had nicely colored pictures :( with an explanation of each and every detail of the PFD and so on (like what all those colored lines and dots mean and a list of all possible text at the top of the PFD, etc. etc.), but... I can't find those in the MD-11 manuals. I love reading those kind of manuals! The MD-11 has a LOT to read, but I can't find what I am looking for...

Instruments and Navigation section in the Systems manual, starts on page 401 using adobe reader. Lots of details start on pg 430 (INST.30.4).

Dan Downs KCRP

Instruments and Navigation section in the Systems manual, starts on page 401 using adobe reader. Lots of details start on pg 430 (INST.30.4).
Thanks! :( Nothing about the PFD though, but... in the section you mentioned I read that the PFD is explained in the Automatic Flight part of the pdf (with the PFD explanation 'in detail' starting on page 149)! :) Ah, yes, I could have known I simply overlooked it: the MD-11 and the manuals are just too good. :( But er... that means I have a problem... Today I printed a lot of the manuals at my work (introduction, tutorial, huge parts of the FCOM), so I would have something nice to read during the christmas days without having to sit behind the computer, but I did NOT print the systems manual, which I really, really want to read! So... now I'll have to sit behind my computer to read those. Bummer. :( Jeroen

I've gotten used to reading adobe files, we even export AutoCAD files now in pdf format (I'm an engineer) in fact the latest readers will display 3D CAD and that makes presentations to clients really easy. Almost all vendor specs are in pdf, progress reports are sent pdf (don't have to worry about using .doc or .docx) and so on. I do most of my MD11 studying while flying.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,

I've gotten used to reading adobe files, we even export AutoCAD files now in pdf format (I'm an engineer)
Then you should really use the DWFx format which will allow your clients/agent collegues to mark up the drawings using freeware software from AutoDesk and send them back to you (I'm an engineer too :-)). These mark-ups are subsequently available for import into AutoCAD for actions.Cheers,

I do most of my MD11 studying while flying.
Yes, that's a very good idea! I found out the MD-11 runs perfectly fine even with all kinds of programs in the background. Yesterday I did a lot of switching between programs and FSX never locked up. So today I'll switch to the systems manual a lot during cruise. :(

Dan,Then you should really use the DWFx format which will allow your clients/agent collegues to mark up the drawings using freeware software from AutoDesk and send them back to you (I'm an engineer too :-)). These mark-ups are subsequently available for import into AutoCAD for actions.Cheers,
I will look into that. Thanks, Mats.

Dan Downs KCRP