Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

New Xmas Computer , Bad Performance

I finally splurged and had a new computer built primarily for fsxI researched this selection of parts pretty heavily before i made my selectionsAfter receiving the machine , loading fsx. sp1 and accel, my frame rates at busy airports with sliders at 3/4 to the right were about 5-6 fps ( flare and bloom off), using stock msfsx aircraft and no addons. nothing fancy at this point.I already owned a gtx280 and 9800gtx so those are the cards i put into the systemHere are my specs X58 Core i7 - HD4870X2 CROSSFIRE EXTREME EDITION XPC Intel Core i7 940 Quad Core (2.93GHz) - Socket LGA1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB Cache Boxed Processor (Nehalem - 45nm) Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME Intel X58 | Nvidia 3-way SLI | ATI CrossFireX LGA1366 | DDR3 1800Mhz | Fusion Block | GB LAN | Aud 7.1 | RAID | MAD CRAZY OC! 3x2048MB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) i7 Gold Triple Channel Kit / XTC - OCZ3G1600LV6GK Enermax 1000Watt Galaxy CrossFire/SLI Modular Power Supply - 24/4+4(8p) - HD4870 X2 Ready CoolIT PURE Silent Maintenance-Free Fluid Sealed CPU Cooler (LGA1366 |775|940|AM2|AM2+) Silver - Western Digital VelociRaptor? 300GB (10,000RPM) 16MB Cache SATA2 I added my gtx280 and 9800 gtx ( updaed the drivers to be sure i had the latest) and voila! 5 fps!!!, the system is not overclocked. im using stock speeds right now. So something is wrong, thoughts? Merry Xmas Peter

Try to use the 280 alonetwo v cards of different models although the same maufacture will cause conflicts, unless I'm wrong/ which has not occurred in 3 hoursAnd what goes with the term HD4870X2 in the first entry of your specs?Keep it simple

I finally splurged and had a new computer built primarily for fsxI researched this selection of parts pretty heavily before i made my selectionsAfter receiving the machine , loading fsx. sp1 and accel, my frame rates at busy airports with sliders at 3/4 to the right were about 5-6 fps ( flare and bloom off), using stock msfsx aircraft and no addons. nothing fancy at this point.I already owned a gtx280 and 9800gtx so those are the cards i put into the systemHere are my specs X58 Core i7 - HD4870X2 CROSSFIRE EXTREME EDITION XPC Intel Core i7 940 Quad Core (2.93GHz) - Socket LGA1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB Cache Boxed Processor (Nehalem - 45nm) Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME Intel X58 | Nvidia 3-way SLI | ATI CrossFireX LGA1366 | DDR3 1800Mhz | Fusion Block | GB LAN | Aud 7.1 | RAID | MAD CRAZY OC! 3x2048MB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) i7 Gold Triple Channel Kit / XTC - OCZ3G1600LV6GK Enermax 1000Watt Galaxy CrossFire/SLI Modular Power Supply - 24/4+4(8p) - HD4870 X2 Ready CoolIT PURE Silent Maintenance-Free Fluid Sealed CPU Cooler (LGA1366 |775|940|AM2|AM2+) Silver - Western Digital VelociRaptor? 300GB (10,000RPM) 16MB Cache SATA2 I added my gtx280 and 9800 gtx ( updaed the drivers to be sure i had the latest) and voila! 5 fps!!!, the system is not overclocked. im using stock speeds right now. So something is wrong, thoughts? Merry Xmas Peter
You can't SLI two different videocards. You can SLI two different videocards of the same variety though (GTX 280 and GTX 280 OC, for instance). However, the SLI configuration will default to the lower videocards clock speed so there is no point in it. You stated you "added your GTX 280 and 9800 GTX", is there something else in there besides those two cards?

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

You can't SLI two different videocards. You can SLI two different videocards of the same variety though (GTX 280 and GTX 280 OC, for instance). However, the SLI configuration will default to the lower videocards clock speed so there is no point in it. You stated you "added your GTX 280 and 9800 GTX", is there something else in there besides those two cards?
thanks for the reply and merry xmasI did not connect the cards in sli, for the moment they are just two independant cards and im only two monitors on the gtx 280. are you saying that even if im not running in sli then it will default to the 9800gtx>thanksPeter

thanks for the reply and merry xmasI did not connect the cards in sli, for the moment they are just two independant cards and im only two monitors on the gtx 280. are you saying that even if im not running in sli then it will default to the 9800gtx>thanksPeter
Thanks and merry Christmas to you too. :)I don't think you can have two different videocards in your pc at all. There was a driver I read about long ago, but I have no idea how it runs or if it even exists any longer. Two different videocards installed at the same time is a no-no (at least as far as I know).You would not be able to run those two cards in SLI. SLI would need 2x GTX 280 or 2x 9800GTX. My reference regarding differet cards in SLI meant 1x GTX 280 and 1x GTX 280 OC (same card, different speed). I do believe that is possible, but with two different videocards completely....no. Take the 9800GTX out and see what your performance is. Hope this helps.

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest djt01
two v cards of different models although the same maufacture will cause conflicts, unless I'm wrong/ which has not occurred in 3 hours
Thanks and merry Christmas to you too. :)I don't think you can have two different videocards in your pc at all. There was a driver I read about long ago, but I have no idea how it runs or if it even exists any longer. Two different videocards installed at the same time is a no-no (at least as far as I know).
There is no problem running the 280 GTX and the 9800 GTX together with the latest drivers from Nvidia as long as you are not trying to run them in SLI. Both cards can be used for a PhysX configuration. I have run my 280 GTX and an 8800 Ultra on an Asus Rampage Formula motherboard with the 180 series drivers without any problems. All you have to do is select one of the two video cards for PhysX in the control panel and the other will be used for primary video duty, works like a charm but keep in mind that PhysX will do nothing for flight sim. Nvidia Gaming:ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA (Intel X48 chipset) BIOS 0701Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)EVGA GTX 280 FTW (Beta 180.84 Drivers)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 BetaSILVERSTONE 1200Watt DASILVERSTONE TJ09-BATI Gaming:ASUS Rampage Extreme BIOS 0901Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Intel Extreme Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 8.12)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 BetaPC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000WLIAN LI PC-A70B

There is no problem running the 280 GTX and the 9800 GTX together with the latest drivers from Nvidia as long as you are not trying to run them in SLI. Both cards can be used for a PhysX configuration. I have run my 280 GTX and an 8800 Ultra on an Asus Rampage Formula motherboard with the 180 series drivers without any problems. All you have to do is select one of the two video cards for PhysX in the control panel and the other will be used for primary video duty, works like a charm but keep in mind that PhysX will do nothing for flight sim. Nvidia Gaming:ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA (Intel X48 chipset) BIOS 0701Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)EVGA GTX 280 FTW (Beta 180.84 Drivers)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 BetaSILVERSTONE 1200Watt DASILVERSTONE TJ09-BATI Gaming:ASUS Rampage Extreme BIOS 0901Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Intel Extreme Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 8.12)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 BetaPC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000WLIAN LI PC-A70B
Good call, Dj. I totally forgot about that. It could be the matter of a configuration setting where there's a conflict happening somewhere. I have not run two different cards simultaneously so I am not too sure.

Ark

If I had to guess, I'd say chipset mis-match with the NVidia cards, which are meant for SLI. If you have a TRUE CROSSFIRE board, those are meant for ATI.Just a guess really, but I'd guess there.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Guest djt01
If I had to guess, I'd say chipset mis-match with the NVidia cards, which are meant for SLI. If you have a TRUE CROSSFIRE board, those are meant for ATI.Just a guess really, but I'd guess there.
The Intel X58 chipset that the Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME uses is Nvidia SLI and ATI Cross Fire compatible.Even with an X48 based motherboard, as long as you are not setting it up for SLI, there is no

Guest Alphahawk3
The Intel X58 chipset that the Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME uses is Nvidia SLI and ATI Cross Fire compatible.Even with an X48 based motherboard, as long as you are not setting it up for SLI, there is no

Guest djt01
I don't know about SLI as the only time I ever used two video cards was back around 12 years ago connecting two 3DFX Voodoo Cards.....those were the days.....might have even been longer. But I have been doing some testing for a guy over at another forum with a very similar problem. He has an Asus P6 i7 940 with 2 of the same video cards. In the exact same area......sliders were set at the same level....he was getting 6 FPS and I was getting 14 to 20 FPS with an i7920....we had the sliders just about all maxed....with GA traffic at 100%...anyway I think it has something to do with the two cards. He was going to remove one card and report back but have not heard from him yet.
The last time I tested SLI with FSX was over a year ago with an Nvidia 680i based motherboard and two 8800 GTX

Guest Alphahawk3
Thought I would give you and an update.....heard from the guy over at Orbx. He finaly removed one of his video crads....FPS back to normal. He has a config very similar to yours. Counting you this makes the 3rd person with the Asus M/B for the i7 that has had this problem. Hope you get yours worked out.

Guys merry xmas, happy holidays to you allI am now away for a few days but i am going to remove one card ( 980gtx) and just run on the 280 , Ill see how that works.I did set up the physix for 280 but i did not realize that it did not provide a benefit to fsxThe shop that built this set up for me ran the computer and inserted an ati hd x2 card and ran the mark 6 test and told me that he saw scores around 18000.I understand that is awesome but that was not my experienceI am going to to back to running the single card and then ill report backBy the way i also understand that the rampage 2 extreme board is sli and xfire compatiblethanks allpeterpkofman@rogers.com

Latest update on this issue.As suggested through replies to my original post i removed the mismatched cardsI only have the nvidea 280 in the machine now.I ran the mark 6 benchmark program and all i was only able to get was a score of 10000.With two cards I got 10000. ( gtx280 and 980 gtx) , i dont think the mismatch had much to do with the issues at handI then reset the bios , cleared the driver and installed the latest drivers for the nvidea card and then ran the benchmark again. My score was a paltry 9945. Now that score is so much slower than my old core 2 duo and a simple 9800 gtx.So I then overclocked the MB and ran up to 3.2 with the i7 940 native at 2.92. I did this to check if the cpu would make a difference to the mark 6 score My benchmark score remained at below 10000. I then ran fsx with a stock baron at cyyz with all sliders set to medium high and the best frame rate was 9.0__I dont know what everyone would deduce from this but i think the gtx 280 is flawed. Not the cpu. Thoughts??Peter

Thoughts??
Try the 9800GTX instead.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11