Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

New Xmas Computer , Bad Performance

Core i7 CPUs aren't going to do much for FSX.
Really??I understood that fsx is cpu intensive so how is it possible that an i7 would not provide a benefit?Peter

I'd reinstall everything (windows too), and only use the GTX280Get the 180.48 drivers and install FSX, run it once, then install SP1, run it once, then install SP2 or Acceleration

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'd reinstall everything (windows too), and only use the GTX280Get the 180.48 drivers and install FSX, run it once, then install SP1, run it once, then install SP2 or Acceleration
I did run that driver. i took out the other card etc.Why do you think i should reinstall windows? Are you suggesting a clean format and then reinstall? Is it your opinion that this is a hardware or software issue or machine level issue?Regards Peter

Guest Nick_N
I did run that driver. i took out the other card etc.Why do you think i should reinstall windows? Are you suggesting a clean format and then reinstall? Is it your opinion that this is a hardware or software issue or machine level issue?Regards Peter
Download unzip and run CPUZ http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_149.zipPost the CPU and the MEMORY tabs here.. if those check out it would seem there is a installation problem.. possibly OS system files or the chipset drivers with the OS, or, the BIOS itself. I cant see both cards doing the same thing but I would not have installed Windows with both cards in the systemHave we updated Direct X correctly? ..... and installed ALL our Windows Update Critical updates and service packs?If not.. get to Windows Update and get the system updated correctlyAlso.. when you set up FSX follow these instructionsFSX TUNINGhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...=28735&PN=2http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=163716#163716FOLLOW THE LINK(s) IN THE FIRST POSTSET UP FSX EXACTLY AS I POSTED THEN...READ BOTH POSTS AND TUNE BY REDUCING SLIDERS AND EDITING THE FSX.CFG BASED ON WHAT I MENTION IN SETTINGS CHANGES FOR FASTER/SLOWER SYSTEMS and DO use Nhancerhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=156769#156769Reaquires Net Framework 2.0 for XP.. in Vista if you have NET 3-3.5 that worksAs for Vista and I assume that is the OS in use here... I would at the very LEAST do the followingIn Vista, disable the following:1. Completely shut down the Defender Program/Service2. Completely disable UAC3. Completely disable Aero4. Completely shut down the Indexing Service5. (OPTIONAL but I WOULD) Completely shut down System Restore6. (OPTIONAL) Completely shut down Automatic updates but only the GUI automatic update setting, not the service and manually ENABLE for Windows Update once a month.7. Use NOD32 as the security software, just the AV product and NOT thier entire security suite product As with XP you need to go through the start registry and make sure nothing is booting not needed... like Real player, MS messenger, etc.. those do not need to start with Windows and can be launched from a shortcut on the desktop if desired. Many software packages install unneeded startup keys. Adobe Acrobat is one, useless startup that does not need to be there.. and many software packages have "automatic monthly updating' features that are also not necessary and clog up the works. You should always enter the settings for newly installed software and check to see if it has 'auto update' and 'start with windows' enabled.. if so, kill those features.You can review the first 6 posts in this thread about optimizing Windows and taking care of odds and ends like the right defrag http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1208959973and when you install FSX MAK SURE you follow this list1. Install RTM, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and g ahead and boot the default flight.2. Close the simIf you have the Deluxe version and want the SDK installed, install it off the DVD now.3. Reboot the computer4. Install Acceleration which will install SP2 automatically. Boot the sim and allow it to complete the install and boot the default flight. 5. Close the simIf you want the Acceleration SDK install it from the disk.6. Reboot the computerIf installing for a non-acceleration SP2 its the same process except install SP1, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer then repeat for SP2 The KEY is to BOOT THE SIM let the default flight load THEN close and reboot the computer before applying the next SP patchMake sure you have the latest DirectX UPDATE installed.Make sure you have the C++ library update installed.You can activate it now at anytime8. Start the sim, set up the sliders/checkboxes as you had them. Close the sim9. Install your addons one at a time, reboot in between and make sure you have the updates for them.DO NOT MIGRATE the FSX.cfg file you have!Use it to copy/paste edits but do not overwrite the new file. and only install the OS with ONE video card in the system... and my choice would not be the 4870 x2

Core i7 CPUs aren't going to do much for FSX.
Their OC'abilty sure as heck does. My new system completely kicks the snot out of my OC'd E6600 with an 8800GTX and I am running a much higher resolution now. :)The i7 scales quite well when higher end videocards are being used (especially when utilizing SLI).Also, to build off of Nick's recommendation against the 4870X2, the GTX 280 yields better performance in FSX at a lower price point.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Their OC'abilty sure as heck does. My new system completely kicks the snot out of my OC'd E6600 with an 8800GTX and I am running a much higher resolution now. :)The i7 scales quite well when higher end videocards are being used (especially when utilizing SLI).Also, to build off of Nick's recommendation against the 4870X2, the GTX 280 yields better performance in FSX at a lower price point.
Guys thanks for thanking the time to send me this detailed post. OK. now im going to start again and reinstall fsxHow do i ensure that i have removed fsx, including all service packs and direct x 10I really dont want to reformat and start freshalso is there a way to unistall aero other than to turn it off in personalization prefs or is that good enough.as a note when i installed fsx before i installed fsx, sp1 and then accel and respective sdk's in that order.I will try the above and report back

Guys thanks for thanking the time to send me this detailed post. OK. now im going to start again and reinstall fsxHow do i ensure that i have removed fsx, including all service packs and direct x 10I really dont want to reformat and start freshalso is there a way to unistall aero other than to turn it off in personalization prefs or is that good enough.as a note when i installed fsx before i installed fsx, sp1 and then accel and respective sdk's in that order.I will try the above and report back
I go through everything after I do an uninstall. That includes checking to see if Add/Remove actually removed the folder and files. After using Add/Remove (and making sure Add/Remove actually removed the FSX folder) be sure to remove the cofig. files and other stuff in your (if you are using Vista) Username/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder. Also, you may want to run regedit and do a search for any Microsoft Flightsim keys.

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I go through everything after I do an uninstall. That includes checking to see if Add/Remove actually removed the folder and files. After using Add/Remove (and making sure Add/Remove actually removed the FSX folder) be sure to remove the cofig. files and other stuff in your (if you are using Vista) Username/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder. Also, you may want to run regedit and do a search for any Microsoft Flightsim keys.
thanks againhere is my config , maybe someone here has some insight into a mismatch or components , just a thoughtIntel Core i7 940 Quad Core (2.93GHz) - Socket LGA1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB Cache (Nehalem - 45nm)Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME Intel Core I7 X58 | Nvidia Quad SLI | ATI CrossFireX | X16 PCI-E S1366 | DDR3 1800Mhz | Fusion Block | GB LAN | Aud 7.1 | RAID | MAD CRAZY OC!3x2048MB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) i7 Gold Triple Channel Kit / XTC - OCZ3G1600LV6GKAntec P182 Advanced Super Mid Tower - Gun Metal Black Finish Enermax 1000Watt Galaxy CrossFire/SLI Modular Power Supply - 24/4+4(8p) - HD4870 X2 ReadyCoolIT PURE Silent Maintenance-Free Fluid Sealed CPU Cooler (LGA1366 |775|940|AM2|AM2+) Silver Western Digital VelociRaptor? 300GB (10,000RPM) 16MB Cache SATA2On Board SATA, RAID0, 1,10, JBOD Silicon Image Silicon Image 4723 Hardware RAID controllerLG S-ATA GBW-H20L | 50GB 6X BLU-RAY Writer | 16X DVD+RW/-RW Optical Writer | Black Nvidea gtx280 and /or 9800 gtx(?) if it works!58-In-1 Internal Card Reader/Writer with Built-In USB PortOn-Board 10/100/1000 Gigabit Integrated Network Card

My new system completely kicks the snot out of my OC'd E6600 with an 8800GTX and I am running a much higher resolution now. :)
Aaaaaah, I am glad to hear that! At at last I have found someone who has had a E6600 with a 8800GTX too! :) I am going to get a new computer and I am also going for the i7 920, but I am still in doubt what vid card to take. At first I went for the HD4870X2, but I think I like a single GPU card more. And a nVidia one too, because of FSX. Your new system is of course also running better thanks to the new motherboard and better RAM... ;) And Vista 64 bit too I guess? I am still in doubt over the Asus P6T or the Gigabyte board (DU5, if I am not mistaken). Anyway, I am glad to read the purchase will make a real difference! ;)

thanks againhere is my config , maybe someone here has some insight into a mismatch or components , just a thought
I don't see any obvious problem with your components. I like the idea of you downloading and running CPU-Z as suggested above, http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.phpand I would be very curious to see what a CPU-Z screenshot of yours looks like.If your system builder got an 18000 bench and you can only get 10000 then obviously something is amiss.I'd at least do that before I took the nuclear option (reformat and reinstall).

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Pk, are you sure your waterblock is seated correctly?Do me a favor and download Realtemp. Tell me what temps your system is reporting.Sorry of you already posted this information. I'm at work and internet access to these sites is sporadic.

Ark

Pk, are you sure your waterblock is seated correctly?Do me a favor and download Realtemp. Tell me what temps your system is reporting.Sorry of you already posted this information. I'm at work and internet access to these sites is sporadic.
Finally home and here is the updateall cpu core temps at idle are at 38cthe cooler seems to be powered properlyrealtemp shows 38cthe bios reports the followingcpu voltage 1.23 vcpu temp 43.5cmb temp 38cnb temp 62csb temp 57cI checked the psu power and mark06 score remains at 10047 , Thanks, thoughts

Finally home and here is the updateall cpu core temps at idle are at 38cthe cooler seems to be powered properlyrealtemp shows 38cthe bios reports the followingcpu voltage 1.23 vcpu temp 43.5cmb temp 38cnb temp 62csb temp 57cI checked the psu power and mark06 score remains at 10047 , Thanks, thoughts
If your cpu is idleing at 38 degrees something does not sit right with me.Essentially, your Core Voltage is lower than mine and you are running roughly 700mhz lower than me, yet you are reporting higher temps than I am in RealTemp. I keep my apartment cool, but not that cool. lol Your temps at 2.93 ghz @ 1.23v idle are basically what mine were at 3.9 ghz @ 1.29-1.3v. At idle, not OC'd, my Core Voltage was 1.015, if I remember correctly. Strange...What do your temps go up to when you run Prime95? Get Prime95 here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-E...n/Prime95.shtml

Ark

so after about a week for playing around i finally determined the problem,my asus board came with a program called cpu level upit basically o/c's automatically and sets up saving features .I was oc 2.9/3.6 but cpuid showed 1.9the multiplier was held back and the temps were off sideSo i basically o/c manually to the same values but changed the multiplier manuallyMy system then ran at 2.9/3.6 and the temps were 48cI ran fsx and my frame rates for my trial set up incoreased 50%Something was wrong with the auto o/cit took quite a while to nail it down but im finally back in the skyPeter