Sign in to follow this  

FS Crashes -- Constantly! HELP

Think I'll do as Fred suggests. That's the way I reinstalled FS2000 way back when (3 yrs ago?). When I copied over everything I guess I screwed myself even though I erased FS2002.cfg and let the sim set it up then edited it. I don't have a lot of payware addons that I need to redo (FSNav4.51, F1 DC9, F1 C421, is about all). I'll do that this afternoon and let everyone know what happens.(I did manage two flights today with the FFX/SGA MD82 without a hitch. Problems come, though, when I attempt to change the a/c flight number and/or save a flight plan in the FS2k2 Flight Planner.)Thanks, guys.Steve

Reinstallation is complete and the problem is (apparently & hopefully) over. I can not duplicate the problem any longer. Time will tell, however. Thanks to all who helped!Steve KCLE

Guest ba747heavy

Great news Steve!!

Steve,any further updates or recommendations to your problem ? I have had a new Dell system for about a month and experiencing similiar problems. My error is ATC.dll with no mention of 'Damage.dll'. I'm not sure direct x9.0 is installed, but I think not.

Les (& everyone)- After reinstallation of FS2002 and downloading DirectX 9.0a I have had NO problems whatsoever. Nada, none, problem kaput! Don't know what the problem was but now I even have all the panel sounds for my 757PIC combination (Mike Stone 757 + 767PIC panel). I never had all the tones, etc., with that before! Frame rates hit 40+ occasionally with everything maxxed except AA & multitexturing. I'm a happy camper now.:-waveSteve

Steve,It looks like I have a very similiar problem to yours. I downloaded direct x 9.0A and hoped all would be well. After completing about 8 touch & go's, FS2002 froze solid with the now familiar 'atc.dll' error. I have a good deal of payware including: RFP742, F1 DC9, F1 C421, F1 C177, F1 Archer, FSD C115, FSD PPA34, FSD PA42, GNS530. Someone mentioned to re-install from original source. What a mess with all the passwords and secret keys! Is that part really necessary ? or will simply copying the folders suffice ? I think I already know the answer. I also have WideFs and Wideview going as well. Fortunately, stuff like RC3 and FSMETEO is operated on a secondary computer.Any further advice appreciated.Regards / Les ParsonKEWR

Les, Luckily, before I had my new PC built I backed up everything on my old hard drive on CD (21 in total). I made a list of every file/folder and which CD they were on. Even now, a week after my reinstall, I've been reloading certain files as I discover the need. Last night, on a night flight, I noticed that the stars were back to default so I copied over my stars.dat from the saved CD (stars from the Boeing 314 package I think). When I did my re-install I copied over only the scenery, aircraft, gauges, textures, and other folders as suggested above. I had to redownload FSNav4.51 (I had the key locked away). I had kept on a seperate CD the original zip files for FSMeteoe also. I reloaded all 5 CDs for FSGenesis. I reinstalled 767PIC also. I had to go back and redo all my AFCAD airports again as they were back to default after the reinstall. Also, I re-ran the program to adjust Taxi Speed of my AI a/c. I saved the airports, flightplan, and aircraft text files from /scenerydb/atc/ along with the TTools programs and copied them into the new install folder, then ran them so as to have my AI set up again. After I copied over the aircraft folder I checked to make sure that my Flight1 DC9 and Cessna 421 were still working and they were. It wasn't as difficult as I thought. Took me about 3-4 hours last Sunday to complete the re-install. As I said above, I've discovered some improvements due to the reinstall such as now I can hear the tones and seat belt sign that I had lost somehow in the PIC panel. I'm thinking of making a copy of my current installation of FS2002 again so I have it as I like just in case.Steve

Steve,Thanks for the information. I'm going to try one more thing before biting the bullet. I'll delete autosave.dll and see if that does anything. My error has always been just atc.dll so will see. I have much of my stuff like RC3 and Fsmeteo on a separate computer using WideFs which makes things a little easier.Thanks again.

Guest ba747heavy

I hate to tell you, your better off reinstalling. Just use my method above and you'll be alright :) Or, better yet, just install from the source, making sure to uninstall your payware addons(as they leave entires laying around.)

Les, I was at work when I answered you last. Here's the method I used in reinstalling FS2k2: 1) Cut and pasted FS2002 -- put it under Temp folder. 2) Reinstalled FS2002 3) Copied entirely the following folders over onto new installation a) Aircraft :( Add on Scenery c) effects d) texture (main texture folder) e) my flights folder from flights folder f) gauges g) Pilots h) Flight One Software (for C421 & DC9 Iron Knuckles) i) Project AI folder j) Scenery k) Uries 4) Copied the following config files under main FS2002 folder a) scenrey.cfg :( display.cfg c) stars.dat 5) Copied a folder named "jetwayswhite" from Scenedb folder (this is an addon for gates at certain airports. 6) Edited the new FS2002.cfg text file for some of the settings under a) (sound) :( (terrain) I downloaded and reinstalled both FSNavigator and FS Assist by Lago. I had kept the original .zip files on a CD and kept the keys also. This all took about 3-4 hours last Sunday. Everything works 100% now. It wasn't all that difficult but it sure did correct my problems.---Steve KCLE

Welcome to Fat32. Since your partial reinstall seemed to fix your problem, Fat32 was most likely the culprit. Fat32 is absolutely notorious for near-untrackable system problems like this - specially when what you did fixed it.Beyond anything else, XP is worth the investment for NTFS alone - its journaled so actual file corruption is a rarity (but still remotely possible depending on circumstances). NTFS simply gives you the peace of mind knowing that *it*, at least, most likely isn't the problem.I'm not a huge corporate cheerleader, but I find your original comment somewhat funny:"Just getting the "We're sorry" notice doesn't cut it, Mr Gates."I'd guess Mr. Gates didn't have much to do with it - but I'm sure he's personally tickled pink that your problem is now resolved. :-)Take care,Elrond---Not enough bandwidth to display this signature! Don't reformat hard drive? (Y/N)