Sign in to follow this  
PhoeniX0302

A Special Question Concerning Asa

Dear Hifi-Team,I currently consider to buy ASA as it seems to be very different from AS6 or even ActiveSky WxRE from which I started years ago.I do have, however, a special question, which answer is important to me...Due to your company server update intervall, METARs were only updated every hour or so. This resulted in different weather situations while flying online.Now, I read, that you do have a new weather server online since January 2007. Are the METARs now updated on a more frequent basis?I.e., will I am able to have weather datas which are more recent to real-time datas?Regards,Simon

Hi Simon,Although I am not from HiFi, I am and ASA user and you are given the option to update you weather more often (i.e. every 10 minutes) via the options menu. ASA will then pull the weather from the server at the interval you specified. The only thing is that METARs are, in real life, updated every hour. For example, check PHNL's METAR; you notice it's usually updated once an hour, 53 minutes after the hour. The only exceptions are SPECIs which are special updates if the weather is changing rapidly. If ASA also get's weather from maybe ASOS or AWOS, then the data might be more current but that data is usually published online ever hour too. The only way to get the up to the minute weather from those (that I know of) is either call it up or tune your radio to it.

Hi Ryan,thanks for your answer.I do know that METARs are normally updated every hour. However, I read in the forum that the Hifi-server is only updating every hour. Due to this setting,the weather is only updated, when the time intervall elapsed, but not when the METAR in reality changed as well.As an example:If I fly from London to Frankfurt, I often experienced that the METAR zulu time was on average one hour behind, although the weather in Frankfurt changed and therefore a new METAR was published. This is not happening in ASV6 afaik. Please, correct me if I am wrong.Regards,Simon

Hi All,METAR data is updated once an hour, worldwide. Then our servers gather and process the data and this can take 15-20 minutes. If you catch the end of a cycle and have a large download interval time set, then it is possible to be an hour behind.Thanks,

Hey Jim,thanks for your answer. Although I wanted to wait for several clarifying answers, I could not resist and bought ASA yesterday night. I compared the METARs for a certain airport with your datas and thatof other sources, which are up-to-date, as I work as a pilot here in Europe.Those datas appeared to be only 20 min. or so behind the real one, which surprised me because of your answer. I will have another look into it.Anyway, it can be said, that I am pleased by your product and will surely have a nice time enjoying it.Regards,Simon