Sign in to follow this  
Engjell Berisha

Is It Possible...

...to develop an engine start process that's just a bit more realistic in regards to engine perameters and the nature of it's settings.I wasn't sure if this would be done with XML or through the panel or airfile or w/e.What I want to do is make it so that (ex) I can have my DHC-3 Otter, be tougher to start, if it's too cold, and said things are too cold or too hot (engine all together, cylinder heads, OAT, etc.) then it would make it really tought to start the engine and it would take a long while before the thing starts.Just want some more realism in that respect because just hitting buttons on the panel and everything working exactly the way its supposed to sucks, and it's very unrealistic.All in FS9 ofcourse.Thx for any help!

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png

Hi,Yes, that is possible.You can make an xml gauge, which describes all the conditions, whatever you like and how much you want, which must be set, before a startup is even possible.Have a look at the 747 starter for an example and do a search here in the forum for engine start.You will get things like:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...=engine+startupetc.Hope it helps,Jan

Just for information's sake, the original script is being hidden by this new forum software...To recover the original script, simply Quote the message in which the original script is contained, then cut-n-paste to a new notepad.exe file...-or-Be nice to others and wrap the original script in "Code" tags and complete the post... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fr. Bill,Sorry, I didn't realize i was doing something wrong?Just gave a link as an example.Jan

Fr. Bill,Sorry, I didn't realize i was doing something wrong?Just gave a link as an example.Jan
No, you did nothing wrong...I was simply explaining how we can "recover" the "hidden script" that this new forum software won't display... ;)Anyone following the link would likely wonder what's going on, because they wouldn't SEE what you wanted them to LOOK AT! :( For example, here is the original XML script that was posted:
<Gauge Name="ENGINE START 1" Version="1.0">   <Size X="64" Y="77"/>   <Element>	  <Select>		 <Value>(G:Var1) if{ (L:SYSTEM_POWER,bool) (A:ENG1 N2 RPM, percent) 50 < && if{ 0 (>K:TOGGLE_STARTER1) } els{ (G:Var1) -- (>G:Var1) } } (G:Var1) 0 != (A:GENERAL ENG1 STARTER, bool) ||</Value>		 <Case Value="0">			<Image Name="SWITCH_ENG_1_START_OFF.bmp"/>		 </Case>		 <Case Value="1">			<Image Name="SWITCH_ENG_1_START_ON.bmp"/>		 </Case>	  </Select>   </Element>   <Element>	  <Visible>(L:SYSTEM_POWER,bool)</Visible>	  <Position X="4" Y="9"/>   	  <Select>		 <Value>(A:GENERAL ENG1 STARTER, bool)</Value>		 <Case Value="1">			<Image Name="SWITCH_ENG_START_BRITE.bmp" Bright="Yes"/>		 </Case>	  </Select>   </Element>   <Mouse>	  <Cursor Type="Hand"/>	  <Click>5 (>G:Var1)</Click>   </Mouse></Gauge>

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thx Jan, didn't realize I had answered my own question months back. That was my C-17 engine start gauge, just never thought I could do that the same way I set the parameters for my C-17 engine start, seems logical now. :( I've one more question since the title of this thread seems appropriate and starting another doesn't:I'm pretty sure that there isn't a "fuel used" variable out there, that being said would there be a way for me to tell the gauge what to do to get a total fuel used figure. For example I tell the plane take the fuel the plane starts out with (total fuel onboard - there is a variable for this) and subtract the current amount of fuel and wolaa! Or add up all the fuel flow figures over time I guess, w/e. Just wondering if there is a way to go about this or would I have to go to C++ or something...? :( Loads of thx for all your help guys!!! :(

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Hi,You could substract the current fuel quantity from the total fuel quantity at startup, but on a multi-engine aircraft it can be useful to know the fuel used per engine. Sometimes all engines are fed from all tanks, so how would one extract the fuel used per engine from that?Also, i'm not sure what happens when one loads the aircraft and consequently changes the fuel load. Does the panel get reloaded, or does it result in strange fuel used readings? There is also a parameter A:Eng1 fuel flow GPH,gallons per hour (and ...Eng2... also of course). This can easily be converted to kgs per hour.For this i use a constant value of 3.039, which should be the weight in kilos of one gallon of fuel. Now that needs to be converted to a "per gauge cycle" value (gauges refresh 18 times per second). That is done by dividing by 60 (minutes), again by 60 (seconds) and then by 18 (per cycle). This is the value that is the fuel used per gauge cycle. Keep adding that up and you get a fuel used value.

<Value>(A:ENG1 FUEL FLOW GPH, gallons per hour) 3.039 * 60 / 60 / 18 / (>L:Fuel_Used_per_Cycle_1, number) 	   (L:Fuel_Used_1, number) (L:Fuel_Used_per_Cycle_1, number) + (>L:Fuel_Used_1, number)</Value>

Maybe it would be more accurate to use something incorporating Absolute Time instead of being dependant on gauge refresh rate, but for me this works fine.Btw this is applicable for Fs9, not sure about FSX.Hope this helps.grtWillem

Hi,You can also make use of some misty gps parameters like:(@c:estimatedfuelenroute)(@c:estimatedfuelatarrival)etc.Probably the wrong syntax, but i have no data available here in my holiday resort!Jan

Terrific Willem, thanks the will do just fine!Jan - you just solved a problem that I would've not thought about for a while and would have turned around to nip me in the butt, thx loads!Thx everyone you've been a huge deal of help!

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha