Hi Jim & TeamSeasons Greetings!I am a registered user of ASV 6.5, ASX and X-Graphics.I have just completed a clean install of FSX on a Vista 64 machine.I want to purchase ASA upgrade for FSX but I don't want to install ASX, X-Graphics first.Is my only option to purchase the full cost ASA as I understand that the ASA upgrade will not work unless ASX is installed first?I have ASX installed in FSX on a WINXP machine (no longer used) is there a file I can copy from this machine to the Vista machine so that the ASA upgrade will work?I believe that there are a lot of loyal ASV/ASX users like myself who want to have a clean install of ASA and be allowed to purchase at the upgrade price.Is there a solution to this problem?ThanksPeterH

Hi Jim & TeamSeasons Greetings!I am a registered user of ASV 6.5, ASX and X-Graphics.I have just completed a clean install of FSX on a Vista 64 machine.I want to purchase ASA upgrade for FSX but I don't want to install ASX, X-Graphics first.Is my only option to purchase the full cost ASA as I understand that the ASA upgrade will not work unless ASX is installed first?I have ASX installed in FSX on a WINXP machine (no longer used) is there a file I can copy from this machine to the Vista machine so that the ASA upgrade will work?I believe that there are a lot of loyal ASV/ASX users like myself who want to have a clean install of ASA and be allowed to purchase at the upgrade price.Is there a solution to this problem?ThanksPeterH
My question exactly...! I am a purist as well Peter... :( See the end of this post: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=237849If there does become a way to do a clean install from the upgrade version would suck for me as I just purchased the FULL version based on the answer I received in the post noted above... :( Robert

Hi RobertYes, I saw that post and note that Damien talks about an "ASX install file" If we can identify that file we should be able to use the upgrade of ASA. Otherwise like you I will buy the full ASA product.Let's hope Jim can give us a definitive answer. RegardsPeterH

There isn't a file Peter, if you want to use the cheaper upgrade version then you must have the program installed and fully patched that the upgrade pertains to. If you want the convenience of a cleaner install path then I would suggest you do as Robert has done and buy the full version of ASA.I speak as a beta tester only and not officially for HIFI.

Cheers, Andy.

On the same topic...I already have ASX installed and I have now bought the ASX->ASA upgrade and after reading this appearently I must keep ASX installed when installing ASA for it to realize it's an upgrade but what about after having ASA installed...can I uninstall ASX then or do I need to have both programs installed all the time...?Since this feels a bit awkward is there any way I could return the upgrade version and then just add the extra $ to get the full version instead so I don't need to bother about all this upgrade stuff?

Richard Åsberg

Hi All,This is what you need. If you want any upgrade price then the previous product must be installed. For a future install you will also need the older version installed and then the upgrade version will work.

JimThis seems to be extremely unfair in that you are penalising loyal customers.Is there a reason why this decision was taken?It does not make any sense to me either commercially or morally!!Why do I need to install software that I no longer need in order to install a superior program?Even Microsoft give me the opportunity of inserting a disc from a previous install.I will purchase the full program but I still think that this is a shortsighted and poor decision.RegardsPeterH

Even Microsoft give me the opportunity of inserting a disc from a previous install.
But how are you supposed to insert a disk for a program that you downloaded? I imagine most customers downloaded AS6 and ASX.

Cheers, Andy.

But how are you supposed to insert a disk for a program that you downloaded? I imagine most customers downloaded AS6 and ASX.
Hi AndyI thought that I had already replied to this post but I have obviously done something wrong. This was a rhetorical statement. You do not need a disc to check that you have purchased a previus edition it can be done with software such as an exe or dll file or similar or the installer uninstralls the old version. The point that I am trying to make is that I believe that loyal customers should be allowed to install ASA as a clean install by using the update process.I'm talking about fair play. FSX is finnicky enough as it is, and I believe will run smoother if you only install the programs that you need to install. I remain committed to Active Sky and its products and will continue to support them by purchasing and using their software.RegardsPeterH.

Hi All,Let's just take a look of what we have here. First ASv6.5: That has been sold at our old store, new store, Flight1, SimMarket, and PCA for a time. Then we have ASX sold at our new store, SimMarket, and PCA. So we cannot use records to verify a purchase. So we can search a system for the .exe location of a previous version. All we are asking is that you save your setup.exe of the AS version you upgraded with or people write to me with proof of purchase and I send them a new download link. Then you reinstall your previous version in about 5 minutes and then you can reinstall ASA. Or if you have enough harddrive space, leave ASX installed.This is a new system for us also, so let's see how things work out.Thanks,

JimThank you so much. Its good to see that common sense has prevailed. I will send you proof of purchase for ASX and X-Graphics. But as I understand it if I copy my copy of the ASX setup.exe fle from FS9 my old unused winxp machine to the new Vista machine FSX then the upgrade version will work? We then keep that ASX setup.exe for any subsequent reinstall of ASA? Have I got that right? ThanksPeterH

Hi,Your ASA will work, if you didn't install and activate it on your old machine.Install ASX on the new machine, then ASA and X Graphics.Yes, save ASX setup exe and ASA setup exe.Thanks,Jim

Hi All,Let's just take a look of what we have here. First ASv6.5: That has been sold at our old store, new store, Flight1, SimMarket, and PCA for a time. Then we have ASX sold at our new store, SimMarket, and PCA. So we cannot use records to verify a purchase. So we can search a system for the .exe location of a previous version. All we are asking is that you save your setup.exe of the AS version you upgraded with or people write to me with proof of purchase and I send them a new download link. Then you reinstall your previous version in about 5 minutes and then you can reinstall ASA. Or if you have enough harddrive space, leave ASX installed.This is a new system for us also, so let's see how things work out.Thanks,
Hi Jim,Sent you a personal message with my proof of purchase some two weeks ago but haven't heard anything from you and was hoping for a new download link that you suggested in your reply above?TIA,

Richard Åsberg

Hi again Jim,Not my intention to bug you about this but not sure how often you check your inbox here at AVSIM and you asked me to contact you via email but I don't know where to find your email address?Could you please send me a PM or whatever telling me your email address or is there any other way you could give me a download link for a ASA setup file that allows a "clean" install - I already sent you my proof of purchase.All the best and have a great weekend!

Richard Åsberg

Hi JimWhich email address shall I use to send proof of purchase for a full download version ?Further to my previous emails I think you have made a pragmatic decision and will keep your loyal customer base on side.Best regardsLufty