Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Tune Com And Nav Radios, Set Alt, Vert. Speed

Is there a utility or panel add on that will allow me to do this? Or maybe some way to configure the payware version of FSUIPC to do it?One of the main reasons I still use FSPassengers on almost every flight is because it allows me to do these simple tasks universally (on every A/C I have loaded up to date) using the keyboard, and therefore I don't have to madly left click or scroll with the mouse wheel on takeoff, short final, etc. just to tune radios or set my course.Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I assume you're talking about setting hotkeys to control radio tuning... if that's correct, then yeah, you can make those assignments inside the FS9 settings menu. From the main FS9 startup screen, click on Settings, then go into Controls and click Assignments. In the pull-down menu, click Radios. You can assign hotkeys within there.To paraphrase Opa, I hope that helps!

I assume you're talking about setting hotkeys to control radio tuning... if that's correct, then yeah, you can make those assignments inside the FS9 settings menu. From the main FS9 startup screen, click on Settings, then go into Controls and click Assignments. In the pull-down menu, click Radios. You can assign hotkeys within there.To paraphrase Opa, I hope that helps!
Thanks, DeaconBlues (Haven't seen you on the boards for a while!) but I think those commands only allow you to select which radio to listen to. The function I'm looking to do would be something like press C for Com radio 1, then press 1 -1 -8 - 1 - 0 to actually tune that frequency. Same kind of procedure to set Altitude: press A, then press 3-3-0 for FL 330, and so on.Unless I'm missing something I can't figure out how to do that without loading up FSPassengers.

Guest Gary Buska

I will go out on a limb here but to my knowledge there is no such gauge nor a key to stroke to allow you to do that. However if you have the money there are addons that you can buy that work like the real thing and has knobs just like the real radio. But they are not cheaplook at the following link http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=1000 :(

I will go out on a limb here but to my knowledge there is no such gauge nor a key to stroke to allow you to do that. However if you have the money there are addons that you can buy that work like the real thing and has knobs just like the real radio. But they are not cheaplook at the following link http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=1000 :(
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Once you get past a certain level in FSPassengers it tends to start getting all confused, at which point you need to start all over with a new pilot/new airline/or both, rebuy all your planes, etc. etc. etc., and I've already surpassed that twice in the year since I bought the program. It's a great addon, mind you, but I also want to use other programs like XPax but hate to lose the functionality FSPassengers provides me.I'm going to take a look at FSUIPC again and see if there's not some way to do what I want through that. If someone else comes up with another suggestion, PLEASE let me know.Thanks for responding, guys!

While it is not possible to change radio frequencies by pressing C and entering a number, you can change all radio frequencies with the keyboard as a default FS9 feature. Rather than regurgitate the procedure here, I will recommend you spend some time with the FS9 Learning Center.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

While it is not possible to change radio frequencies by pressing C and entering a number, you can change all radio frequencies with the keyboard as a default FS9 feature. Rather than regurgitate the procedure here, I will recommend you spend some time with the FS9 Learning Center.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a great idea! Geez, it's been so long since I've looked in there, I hope it's still there! :(

I went back in there (a lot of cobwebs!), are you talking about the old press C and use the "+" or "-" keys to increase or decrease frequencies? How on earth is that helpful? That's just as clumsy as using the mouse wheel. :(

I am also looking for the same thing that Trelane wants. FSPassengers will put the new frequency into to standby side of the radio and then make that one the the main frequency so you don't have to click the transfer button. Something that Trelane wants would be nice. Gonna have to buy FSPassengers I guess.JimCYWG

Something that Trelane wants would be nice. Gonna have to buy FSPassengers I guess.JimCYWG
It IS nice, Jim. That's why I can't fly without it any more. There is nothing more rediculous to me than the way FS9 requires us to tune radios and set altitudes. Talk about losing imersion! I highly recommend FSPassengers if only for this functionality, but the addition of passengers adds a level of responsibility to your flying that isn't normally there too. Can't fly without it any more -- that's why I would use Xpax if I dumped FSPax.If you want to get around the "game" aspects of it, email me off list -- I have some shortcuts I've learned to get around the restrictive budgets and such.

Hey Chuck --- Yes, I was saying exactly what you referred to in your last post, hitting [C] + 1 and then using [+] or [-] to scroll through frequencies. That was before I understood what you REALLY wanted! ;-) Now I get it.I use Oncourse/Aerosoft's ProFlight Emulator Deluxe to do what you're looking for. It has several optional features that direct the virtual First Officer to automatically control Com and Nav radio tuning, changing frequencies automatically while you are busy handling other important tasks. It's a great addon, I've been using it for awhile. And I know that it works with FSPassengers; that has been a common question for Dave March over on the Oncourse forum here at AVSIM (Commercial Support forums; Dave and his team have to be the most dedicated developers in our community, in terms of customer support). Check it out; it's not expensive (relative, I know) and it's well worth the cost.

Guest Gary Buska

I am not trying to be sarcastic here but how do you think the real pilots change radio frequencies ? Good old fashioned knobs or thumb wheels. :(

I am not trying to be sarcastic here but how do you think the real pilots change radio frequencies ? Good old fashioned knobs or thumb wheels. :(
I know . . . but they have more than a 1/8th inch of square space on a flat monitor they must frantically search for, center a mouse cursor over, and then make sure it has the correct figure in it (a '+' or a '-') and then spin it with a vertical wheel 2 feet away from a 2 dimensional digital panel.They just grab the knob! :(

Hey Chuck --- Yes, I was saying exactly what you referred to in your last post, hitting [C] + 1 and then using [+] or [-] to scroll through frequencies. That was before I understood what you REALLY wanted! ;-) Now I get it.I use Oncourse/Aerosoft's ProFlight Emulator Deluxe to do what you're looking for. It has several optional features that direct the virtual First Officer to automatically control Com and Nav radio tuning, changing frequencies automatically while you are busy handling other important tasks. It's a great addon, I've been using it for awhile. And I know that it works with FSPassengers; that has been a common question for Dave March over on the Oncourse forum here at AVSIM (Commercial Support forums; Dave and his team have to be the most dedicated developers in our community, in terms of customer support). Check it out; it's not expensive (relative, I know) and it's well worth the cost.
Deaconblues: I use PFE too! And you're absolutely right -- it does all of those things FOR you, except for altitude and vertical speed adjustments, and I just noticed that today if you can believe it -- I've been manually tuning and dialing even though PFE has been doing it automatically -- duh! And I've been using it right along side FSPax for months now and it works great.By the way, I'm with you: the more I use PFE the more I bloody like it.