Sign in to follow this  

Md-11: What's This On The Pfd?

Reading the manual during cruise isn't always a great idea, because way too often I just have to test what I just read... :( So right now I've been fooling around with the alitude settings on the FCP. Going to manual, hold, etc. and back to PROF. I thought... But just now I noticed two things:xqdo52.jpg1. the hold alt on the PFD (37000) isn't magenta anymore but white... how can I get it magenta again? Pressing PROF doesn't do the job. It IS supposed to be magenta when you fly with PROF, right?2. What does that little cirle with 1388 mean... (just above 29.92)? How did I get it there and how do I get rid of it (if necessary)?

White means the selected value (37000) is something other than programmed in the FMS. Look on the MCDU INIT page, I bet the altitude value you set earlier (370) was changed when you were pushing buttons and turning knobs. If this is the case, re-enter 370 then pressing the PROF button ought to turn the selected value magenta.I don't think the PFD is adequately covered in the manuals, my guess on the circle is that the FMS altitude setting is below current flight level and it is 1388... although I don't understand what this number means. The small white circle on either the speed or altitude tapes usually inidicates what the automation setpoint is when you have manually set other values. Still, 1388 is a mystery, and perhaps has something to do with your experimentation earlier. It should go away when you reset the cruise altitude on the INIT page and press the PROF.

Dan Downs KCRP

2. What does that little cirle with 1388 mean... (just above 29.92)? How did I get it there and how do I get rid of it (if necessary)?
This shows the next altitude constraint in your profile, probably the runway threshold (you seem to have erased all constraints in between). What it means is that the FMS would like you to descent but you are holding the aircraft up there by having 37'000ft as FCP altitude, which now is white because it's no longer CRZ altitude as the profile is in descent already.Markus

Markus Burkhard

Markus: I expect the magenta speed to be set on 290 KIAS, which is the default policy setting, if in descent phase. But, I can't argue with you regarding the little circle.EDIT: disregard, he is too high for 290 KIAS, I get it now.

Dan Downs KCRP

Okay, clear, thanks! I clearly made a mess of it all because when I came back after posting this my complete flightplan was gone! Haha! But it's no big problem: I learn a lot from all this. :(