I'm flying from LFPG to ESSA and experiencing a rhythmic popping in and out of an apparent haze layer - repeating on about a 30-second cycle. The normal clouds remain, but the haze layer comes and goes. I'm running FS9 with the recommended Display-Settings and FSUIPC 3.85, with Weather Settings Off. ASA is set at the default values, including Disable Haze Layer checked ON. This is happening on the ground, during climb out, and at cruise ar FL370. Any hints or tips I may be missing?Jerry PostKORF

Hi Jerry,Sorry for the problem.What are your visibility options from the Visibility Options screen?Weather settings off in FSUIPC?Thanks,

Jim:In ASA, as per the manual - Fog Layer checked off and Disable Haze Layer and Enable Visibility Graduation checked on. Values below that set to 0 - 100 - 60. FSUIPC has Weather Settings Off.Currently flying KBOS-KCVG and still experiencing the haze popping. This time it's accompanied by severe wind shifts timed exactly with the haze popping. Previously in AS6.5, I was using the wind and visibility smoothing functions in FSUIPC and that produced good results. Should I try turning those FSUIPC options back on? Thanks!Jerry

Hi,If you turn smoothing back On in FSUIPC, please turn DWC off in ASA.Thanks,

Jim:Ran LFPG-ESSA again and no haze popping with FSUIPC options on for wind and visibility smoothing (ASA DWC turned off). Did notice the issue others mentioned about winds occasionally going to zero when closest ground station reported surface winds at zero, but had reported winds at altitude. Also had a couple of close-in cloud pops - clouds within the max visibility range suddenly appearing/disappearing inside 20 nm. I've set my cloud drawing distance just outside the max visibility setting.Jerry

Jim:Ran LFPG-ESSA again and no haze popping with FSUIPC options on for wind and visibility smoothing (ASA DWC turned off). Did notice the issue others mentioned about winds occasionally going to zero when closest ground station reported surface winds at zero, but had reported winds at altitude. Also had a couple of close-in cloud pops - clouds within the max visibility range suddenly appearing/disappearing inside 20 nm. I've set my cloud drawing distance just outside the max visibility setting.Jerry
Hi Jerry,These cloud pops, can you confirm this happens with Local Suppression enabled? If so, what is your local suppression range set to?Thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Damien:Yes, Local Range Suppression is checked on and range is set to the default of 200 miles. Is there any connection betwen this function and either max visibility or cloud draw range? I've got max visibility set to 60 miles for both surface and upper in ASA and in FS9 as well. Cloud draw distance is set just outside this at 70 miles in FS9.Jerry