Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Posky Erj 145 Wing Views Required.plus..

Hello AllI am currently trying out two versions of the ERJ 145 one model by Dreamwings and the other by Posky.I have found a very good panel by (apologies for spelling )by Bill Grabowski, the 2d panel is excellent but the other cockpit views are rather poor and also include a rather scary looking co-pilot that stares unsettlingly back at you.I have managed to find some wingviews for the Dreamwings model,(thus eliminating the staring Cpilot)but as yet have had no success with the Posky variant.I was wondering if anybody knows of or can create some wingviews for me.?One other thing as well.With Posky ERJ there is no VC (i am not bothered about that)but there is a disembodied front landing wheel when i pan around in the otherwise blank VC view.I do know that you have to alter the VIEW section in the aircraft's CFG (not the VIEWS section in the panel CFG) to get rid of the wheel (i have done it with other aircraft)but I don't know how to do it myself.So if anybody can help me with these two problems i would be most grateful.Cheers and Merry Yule(thank god its over Hoorah!Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Hello FolksHave sold the wingviews problem.The ultimate wingviews for the dreamwings ERJ also work withe posky.But the disembodied landing gear is still there so hopefully somebody can help with that.cheers Andy

Hey Andy, I don't know anything about the dreamwings acft but I've been playing around with the Posky/Grabowski 145 as well and I know exactly what you mean about the copilot. The dude just seems to have a "want to" in his eyes, like he's got plans (other than flying the aircraft) once autopilot cruise has been reached :) .Anyway, my approach to getting rid of him was to install the ERJ-145 virtual cockpit model. The VC works with the Grabowski panel and even comes with a panel.cfg that places the grabowski gauges. I didn't like a few things about the supplied .cfg so I wound up just replacing all the [Fixed Window] sections of the original grabowski panel.cfg with the [virtual cockpit] sections from the posky supplied panel.cfg. It worked great, the VC is quite attractive, and best of all when I look to the right I see the VC window framework instead of that wanton copilot. That'll also get rid of the stray nosegear you mentioned which is apparently part of the wingview model.Jim

Hello JimI have managed to remove the copilot(serial killer) with the wing views,but I am interested in the VC you mention.I am not usually a vc fan and have added lots of third party gauges to the 2d panel and don't want to change the Panel cfg and have to spend ages adding them in again.I f there is some way of merging the two together without losing my add-ons i will give the VC a try.That 2d panel has got to be one of the best freeware offerings available for detail and immersability although as with a lot of detailed panels some of its functions are a bit hard on my rather(only rather :( )ageing eyes.cheers AndyPS I had another panel that had a co-pilot as well,and it really gave me quite a start as I was expecting the usual plain cabin view and there was this guy gazing back at me.VERY strange.PPS you will find the Dreamwings version of the e145 here in the Avsim library.I am of to give it another test flight as I am still not one hundred percent sorted with the panel functions as yet.

I f there is some way of merging the two together without losing my add-ons i will give the VC a try.
That was part of the reason I just added the [virtual cockpit] sections to the existing .cfg. I'd added the default GPS, a door switch (couldn't get the airstair to show with Shift+E,2) and a bunch of other stuff. I think you'll be OK doing it that way.Another mod I did was to set the Night lighting color to something like 250,100,100, without that the GPS wasn't lit with the panel lights on. I also added some vc lights to the [lights] section of the acft.cfg as there were none defined and the VC was black at night. I'm away from my FS computer until tomorrow night, but I'll gladly share any of these tweaks once I get home.Jim

That was part of the reason I just added the [virtual cockpit] sections to the existing .cfg. I'd added the default GPS, a door switch (couldn't get the airstair to show with Shift+E,2) and a bunch of other stuff. I think you'll be OK doing it that way.Another mod I did was to set the Night lighting color to something like 250,100,100, without that the GPS wasn't lit with the panel lights on. I also added some vc lights to the [lights] section of the acft.cfg as there were none defined and the VC was black at night. I'm away from my FS computer until tomorrow night, but I'll gladly share any of these tweaks once I get home.Jim
Thanks JimI almost gave up on this panel to9day.I was having a number of problems i.e. flap positions where not being displayed,my clickable icons would disappear if I switched the floodlight on and just a vague feeling that other functions weren't working correctly.I decided to see if I could find the latest version of the panel which I think is 4.2 but after all sorts of problems trying to install it ,altering panel CFGs aircraft CFGs ,pasting here and pasting there and pasting all over the dammed place then starting up aircraft to check out the effect of my tinkerings etc agggh!Anyway I now have flap positions being displayed,and the problem with icons seems to be(i am guessing here)the way the panel has been put together instead of the usual large WINDOW 00 section in the panel CFG the whole 2d panel seems to have sections overlaying each other(or something like that :( anyway).The clickables still seem to work anyway even when invisible,and when I turn the floodlighting effect off they reappear again.I am going to try it again tonight and see what occurs.PS do you get an alarm message on take-off? it sounds like "take-off flaps repeated over and over (my flaps are set by the way)and there is a red warning message something like 'no take-off config' anyway I just ignore it take off and the message stops.PS Its unfortunate that cockpit commander does not work fully with the panel i.e. it will accept heading,course and VS but not altitude which means fiddly mouse wheel twiddling whilst trying to obey ATC s commands which is not usually a problem but can be annoying whilst trying to get to grips with a new panel.Cheers Andy

but after all sorts of problems trying to install it ,altering panel CFGs aircraft CFGs ,pasting here and pasting there and pasting all over the dammed place then starting up aircraft to check out the effect of my tinkerings etc agggh!
Heh, heh... That's funny right there... I hear ya :( There's a light panel (another "lighted" panel bitmap, but I think it's compiled into the ERJ.gau) that apparently pops up and covers the normal daylight panel bitmap when you turn on the flood lights. I noticed that it covered up my sim-icons too. Maybe a person could just place additional copies of the sim-icons on whichever [windowXX] is activated when you turn on the floodlights? I haven't tried it myself, so maybe there isn't a [windowXX] associated with that. I did notice that on my system anyway that if I drop to windowed mode for a second and then return to full screen the icons seem to show through, although it still looks like there's a transparent black overlay over them.There's a button on the throttle quadrant just to the right of the flaps lever labeled "TO Config Check" that you can click just before takeoff and the nice lady will tell you what's wrong with your TO configuration. I've found that she complains about flaps, brakes, or trim, and it seems like one other thing but I can't remember what it is. You have to set nose up elevator trim until the elev trim indicator numbers turn green ("5" actually seems about right for takeoff although she'll let you get away with "3" if I remember correctly). I've always gotten away with one notch of flaps, so I'm not sure why she's squaking about it in your case. There was something in the panel installation instructions about modifying the [flaps] section of the acft.cfg, I can't remember if I actually did it or not.That panel has a rather neat "speed hold" function for climbing. I usually set it for "VS hold" at around 1500 - 2000 fpm for takeoff up to around 10,000 ft, then switch to speed hold, holding around 290 kts all the way up to cruise altitude. Speed hold gradually lowers the nose as necessary to maintain the set speed for a given power setting. Also, there's a derate panel that pops up when you click on the right footrest just below the radio. On the right of the derate panel is an LED or something. When you click that LED it turns red and apparently overrides the derate function allowing maximum power. Without overriding the derate I found the ERJ incredibly underpowered and it was virtually impossible to reach FL300.The HDG and CRS knobs have some neat functionality that may help if you haven't figured them out yet. A click in the exact center of the HDG knob will snap heading hold to your current heading. The center of the CRS knob will set a "direct to" course for whatever VOR you happened to be tuned to. For either knob a left click or mousewheel roll will change HDG or CRS in increments of 1, a right click in the same area will change in increments of 10. The altitude knob has 4 hotspots, the 2 nearest the knob's center will increment ALT hold in increments of 100 ft, outward further from center are 2 more hotspots that increment in 1000 ft, however all 4 of these hotspots require a left click.All this talk about panels and flying really has me going now. I need an FS fix. Between work, 2 weeks of relentless snowfall, and all this holiday horsesh*t, I haven't been home for a week. Think I'll bail out of work at lunchtime today and go home and enjoy a nice long flight and a few beverages :( .

Heh, heh... That's funny right there... I hear ya :( There's a light panel (another "lighted" panel bitmap, but I think it's compiled into the ERJ.gau) that apparently pops up and covers the normal daylight panel bitmap when you turn on the flood lights. I noticed that it covered up my sim-icons too. Maybe a person could just place additional copies of the sim-icons on whichever [windowXX] is activated when you turn on the floodlights? I haven't tried it myself, so maybe there isn't a [windowXX] associated with that. I did notice that on my system anyway that if I drop to windowed mode for a second and then return to full screen the icons seem to show through, although it still looks like there's a transparent black overlay over them.There's a button on the throttle quadrant just to the right of the flaps lever labeled "TO Config Check" that you can click just before takeoff and the nice lady will tell you what's wrong with your TO configuration. I've found that she complains about flaps, brakes, or trim, and it seems like one other thing but I can't remember what it is. You have to set nose up elevator trim until the elev trim indicator numbers turn green ("5" actually seems about right for takeoff although she'll let you get away with "3" if I remember correctly). I've always gotten away with one notch of flaps, so I'm not sure why she's squaking about it in your case. There was something in the panel installation instructions about modifying the [flaps] section of the acft.cfg, I can't remember if I actually did it or not.That panel has a rather neat "speed hold" function for climbing. I usually set it for "VS hold" at around 1500 - 2000 fpm for takeoff up to around 10,000 ft, then switch to speed hold, holding around 290 kts all the way up to cruise altitude. Speed hold gradually lowers the nose as necessary to maintain the set speed for a given power setting. Also, there's a derate panel that pops up when you click on the right footrest just below the radio. On the right of the derate panel is an LED or something. When you click that LED it turns red and apparently overrides the derate function allowing maximum power. Without overriding the derate I found the ERJ incredibly underpowered and it was virtually impossible to reach FL300.The HDG and CRS knobs have some neat functionality that may help if you haven't figured them out yet. A click in the exact center of the HDG knob will snap heading hold to your current heading. The center of the CRS knob will set a "direct to" course for whatever VOR you happened to be tuned to. For either knob a left click or mousewheel roll will change HDG or CRS in increments of 1, a right click in the same area will change in increments of 10. The altitude knob has 4 hotspots, the 2 nearest the knob's center will increment ALT hold in increments of 100 ft, outward further from center are 2 more hotspots that increment in 1000 ft, however all 4 of these hotspots require a left click.All this talk about panels and flying really has me going now. I need an FS fix. Between work, 2 weeks of relentless snowfall, and all this holiday horsesh*t, I haven't been home for a week. Think I'll bail out of work at lunchtime today and go home and enjoy a nice long flight and a few beverages :( .
JimI did a massive reply and forgot to post it and THEN lost the dammed thing .Any way thanks for your reply I have been trying some of your suggestions and have just managed to get a positive take-off CFG by using your suggestions concerning pitch (it also helps to turn the APU off as well :( I have been checking the clickspots as you describe to.Getting there slowly!Andy

JimI have just achieved a much better take-off.I note that you mentioned something called DERATE i have heard of this before but didn't understand what it meant,but as you describe about the little panel with red light I turned that light on altered the pitch and achieved a fine take-off.Before it was taking the whole length of some long runways just to get airborne.(plus incessant nag)I am currently test flying as I write this and now want to suss out the speed hold you describe.Getting a little bit more there than before.cheers AndyThat's what makes this hobby so addictive.Those little advances in knowledge that increase your flight experience and enjoyment.