Sign in to follow this  
Guest Forum_Admin

Md11 Ils Question

Guest Forum_Admin

Ok, I am sure the FMS method works fine for doing ILS's in the MD11. My question is if there is a "last moment" Runway change, or if I didn't plan the FMC data well, how do I setup the ILS? Here was my sceneraio other night where I took over manually to land...I decended on my own and setup for the runway. I went to the RAD page on the FMC, and entered the ILS FREQ and COURSE. As I approached the centerline, I pressed the autopilot "APPROACH" Button, thinking this would arm the ILS, and it would capture. It did not, I shot through the course, and it did not decend.My question is this; in this method where I entered my ILS FREQ and COURSE manually, do I then need to take the "NAV/RAD" out of standby and make it active? Would this have shot the approach correctly?I plan on trying it again tonight, but just curious. :)Thanks!

This procedure starts on page FMS.60.12; a last minute change is complicated by the fact that once on an approach the radio frequencies are locked. My interpretation is the A/P needs to be disconnect to make the freq change, but I haven't tried it yet. The manual talks about using SEC F-PLN for runway changes too.I am looking at the same issue for a different reason. After flying half the night KJFK-LIMC I discover that MSFS ILS17 freq is obsolete and I didn't figure out that I needed to change to a different freq from what is currently published and in use until I was too far behind things. This is a different case than you asked about but I was in the neighborhood anyway.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok, I am sure the FMS method works fine for doing ILS's in the MD11. My question is if there is a "last moment" Runway change, or if I didn't plan the FMC data well, how do I setup the ILS? Here was my sceneraio other night where I took over manually to land...I decended on my own and setup for the runway. I went to the RAD page on the FMC, and entered the ILS FREQ and COURSE. As I approached the centerline, I pressed the autopilot "APPROACH" Button, thinking this would arm the ILS, and it would capture. It did not, I shot through the course, and it did not decend.My question is this; in this method where I entered my ILS FREQ and COURSE manually, do I then need to take the "NAV/RAD" out of standby and make it active? Would this have shot the approach correctly?I plan on trying it again tonight, but just curious. :)Thanks!
Choose the ILS approach you want, go to the last waypoint before the final destination, press the left LSK on it to bring up the 'LAT REV' page, choose the STAR option and in that page you can select the rwy and type approach (VOR, ILS etc). when you choose ILS and you insert it the FMS will autotune the ILS and all you need to do is press the approach/land button when required. You still can manually input the ILS freq and heading if you wish.Jay