Sign in to follow this  
Guest Litefox71

Intel I7 920 - Top?

Guest Litefox71

Hi Everyone,lots has been written about FSX and Performance in the last few years. As a lot of other people did i constantly upgraded and upgraded, never really achieving the ultimate flawless 50+ FPS FSX performance... This time i upgraded as much as possible, i would like to check if people with almost the same config have a better performancethan I, as i am still not really happy about it and maybe i am missing something.Config (main components):Vista64+Sp1I7 920 OC @ 3.8 Ghz (still amazing how much OC can be achieved with air cooling)I58X Board + 8GB DDR 1600EVGA GTX 280 FTW (Detonator 180.48 driver)Matrox Triple Head2GoTrackIR4FSX with SP2fsx.cfg not changed (only wideview-true)UTX+GEX+REXMy Traffic PMDG MD11Megascenery HeathrowBenchmark done at Heathrow Gate 212Settings Maxed out (only weather visibility to minium and traffic to 40%)Triliniar Filtering and Ani.I am getting 5-7fps. with sitting in the MD11 VC (Heathrow Gate 212). 2D Panel at 8-9 FPS :( With deactivating Heathrow addon scenery i get 14-16 FPS same location. Flying is a lot of fun (around 25-50 FPS). But once again the so critical part for landing and taking off with lots of traffic and addons, almost unplayable. Important: I am still amazed by the triplehead2go box. No matter if i run FSX at a single monitor with 1600x1200 or the max.resoutionacross three monitors, the difference is max 1-2 fps.Lets share some experience...Lite

Guest D17S

Here's one. Let's see: On Vista 64/FSX-SP2 and a Q6600@3.6/4G-ram@800/9800GTX+@740/1920x1080 res/AA-8xS/AF-16xAll FSX setting on/full-right (including bloom, ground shadows and water), except all traffic sliders at 40% (Note: Default FSX traffic), and weather at 60mi/clearskys. FEX(hi-def clouds)/GEX/UTX/FSG. DX9.At Aerosoft's Mega Airport EGLL's gate 212 in the PMDG MD11 Vcockpit (wideview=true). 2D provides same performance.Initial Vcockpit view: ~ 4 FPS.Look down into Vcockpit ~ 7 FPS.Bloom to Off adds ~ 2 FPSGround shadows to Off adds ~ 1 FPSWater to 2xLow adds ~ 4 FPSNote, FPS now:Initial Vcockpit view: ~ 10 FPS.Look down into Vcockpit ~ 15 FPS.

Hi Everyone,lots has been written about FSX and Performance in the last few years. As a lot of other people did i constantly upgraded and upgraded, never really achieving the ultimate flawless 50+ FPS FSX performance... This time i upgraded as much as possible, i would like to check if people with almost the same config have a better performancethan I, as i am still not really happy about it and maybe i am missing something.Config (main components):Vista64+Sp1I7 920 OC @ 3.8 Ghz (still amazing how much OC can be achieved with air cooling)I58X Board + 8GB DDR 1600EVGA GTX 280 FTW (Detonator 180.48 driver)Matrox Triple Head2GoTrackIR4FSX with SP2fsx.cfg not changed (only wideview-true)UTX+GEX+REXMy Traffic PMDG MD11Megascenery HeathrowBenchmark done at Heathrow Gate 212Settings Maxed out (only weather visibility to minium and traffic to 40%)Triliniar Filtering and Ani.I am getting 5-7fps. with sitting in the MD11 VC (Heathrow Gate 212). 2D Panel at 8-9 FPS :( With deactivating Heathrow addon scenery i get 14-16 FPS same location. Flying is a lot of fun (around 25-50 FPS). But once again the so critical part for landing and taking off with lots of traffic and addons, almost unplayable. Important: I am still amazed by the triplehead2go box. No matter if i run FSX at a single monitor with 1600x1200 or the max.resoutionacross three monitors, the difference is max 1-2 fps.Lets share some experience...Lite
Do you have Direct X 10 preview on or not?As with that set up I would expect at least 10 to 15 fps ( although I do not have Mega scenery installed and last time I used any mega scenery was FS9 and I found them a frame rate killer then.I have Orbix FTX YMML Melbourne airport with My traffic set to 100% and get at least 15 sitting at gate, but not duel monitors, as you may of noticed in a post I just made earlier, I am trying to work out how to set duel monitors up, but from what I can, I will need Trip head to go, although I am only wanting to set up two monitors, Although I may uprade to a 3rd one next year.Copuple of things I can suggest, in FSX.cfg put this line in.[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14Value you set depends on number of cores your cpu hasDo a search for a post by David Roch ealier this year, has lots of tips and tweaksI have it booked mark, but page is no longer found, not sure why?I'm running Dell XPS 730 with Extreme Quad core X9650 @ 3.00 4gb DDR3 ram. Vista 32bit Sp1FSX ACC DX10 previewAti Radeon 3970x2I've not tried to O/C system yet although I've watched a couple of Videos at You tube by guys a Dell on what can be done.Hope this helpsand a Happy Holidays too

Guest UlfB
[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14Value you set depends on number of cores your cpu has
Why run only three of the cores?

Guest D17S

[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=XX . . . is not necessary with FSX/SP2. This Service Pack enabled all available cores. No .cfg addendum is required. 3.8Ghz is a top overclock for the 920. The BCK (FSB) is - way - out there at 190Mhz. That's on the very edge of the platform's capability. I expect the 965s will go to 4.2 with their unlocked multi (on air for a non-uberTweaker), but that's about it. That $275 i7/920 (and even the Q at $175) is a great value relative to a 965 for $1000+. Nice job.

Guest Litefox71

Thanks Guys. DirectX10 Preview is off. I hate the flicker prob :)Although i verified around 10 FPS when switching it on at the above position.The affinity mask entry is not needed anymore after SP2.The I7 920 is great. I have read a lot about the I7 good and bad opinions.But my own experience is great in particular with the OC capabilities for 280$.I have seen a 3.9 GHz 920 here at the forum. But 3.8 is as much as my systemcan handle stable (but still really cool gain).Overall i can recommend the triplehead2go. It is - believe me - a complete different experience.Unfortunately i went for analog edition.btw with D17S comparison, i think the biggest difference is the default FSX Traffic. I need to try that as i think themytraffic at 40% generates a lot more traffic and cpu consumption than default at 40%. Happy Holidays!

[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=XX . . . is not necessary with FSX/SP2. This Service Pack enabled all available cores. No .cfg addendum is required. 3.8Ghz is a top overclock for the 920. The BCK (FSB) is - way - out there at 190Mhz. That's on the very edge of the platform's capability. I expect the 965s will go to 4.2 with their unlocked multi (on air for a non-uberTweaker), but that's about it. That $275 i7/920 (and even the Q at $175) is a great value relative to a 965 for $1000+. Nice job.
Well for my AMD FX-62 the AffinityMask setting allowed more AI aircraft to show up and a lot faster as well. This made a big positive difference on my computer.

Guest Alphahawk3
Well I decided to try your test...evn though I do not not own anything like a PMDG MD 11...nor Mega Scenery for Heathrow. My system is comparable to yours....i7 920 clocked to 3.4ghz and 6gig..sees only 4....DDR3 1600......XP instead of Vista...still on the fench about that....GEX...FEX....but no TH or Track IR..I wish....LOL. With the default 747 I get 37...locked at 40......panning around and in cockpit and taxing around....never been to Heathrow in the sim as I am a GA flyer. I know one cannot compare the PMDG aircraft to the default 747 so I loaded up the Bush Hawk XP....don't laugh....a lot of people can't use that plane because it has a reputation as a frame rate killer. FPS dropped to 25. Then loaded up the SR 22...another aircraft that can cause frame rate hit because of avionics.....30 FPS. YMML from Orbx with my Bush Hawk only gets 17-23 at airport but flying will go to 30 and stay there. These are interesting ways to do this so one can see what their system will get compared to another similar system. I am sure the PMDG would drop my FPS way down also as I know it is a complex aircraft. Did a test with a guy in Australia with all sliders maxed out sitting at fuel station at YMML...default Cessna and I only got 14 FPS in my screenie...LOL...he was only getting 6 until he removed one of his video cards...he had an SLI setup that was killing his frame rates....and he had the 940. Good way to check ones system. Regards