Sign in to follow this  
Guest mkuebeler

Vatsim Online Weather?

Guest mkuebeler

Can someone explain to me how this is supposed to work, because I just finished a flight where it did not work like I expected. I have the "VATSIM online weather" option enabled. Landed at KFSD at about 2120Z with 2sm visibility. Then the weather updated, with the ActiveSky METAR from 1556Z reporting 1/4sm visibility in fog, but the VATSIM METAR was from 2056Z reporting 4sm visibility. At the end of the update ActiveSky was showing the VATSIM metar, but the weather was being set to the ActiveSky conditions, and that was the METAR that flashed at the top of the screen after the update. Should not the VATSIM METAR take precedence over the (older) ActiveSky METAR? I'm glad it at least waited until i was on the ground to do this, as the ActiveSky conditions were below minimums for the ILS approach.

Hi Mark,With the VATSIM weather option On, ASA connects to the VATSIM server for METAR data for departure and arrival weather data. Did you have a flightplan processed?Thanks,

Guest mkuebeler
Hi Mark,With the VATSIM weather option On, ASA connects to the VATSIM server for METAR data for departure and arrival weather data. Did you have a flightplan processed?Thanks,
Yes, always. VATSIM weather at the destination was in effect right up until I was on the ground, at which point the weather updated (prior to landing I believe the range supression option was preventing the update to the latest VATSIM weather). You could see the AS METAR for the destination (261556Z) displayed as the stations along the route were being processed, then VATSIM weather (262056) was downloaded and displayed. However, it was the original AS METAR that was being set for the destination, not the VATSIM METAR. Maybe once you're on the ground at the destination this works differently?BTW, AS 6.5, build 552.

Hi,OK. Try next time with a smaller Suppression Range or set it to zero.Thanks,

Hi,To clarify a bit, FS9 suppression mode prevents updates to the local area (as defined by suppression range) in order to prevent visible cloud re-draws. When in VATSIM mode, your VATSIM wx updates can be suppressed if you are within this range when the update occurs. It sounds like this is what is happening. When suppression is enabled, by default, updates will again continue once you are on the ground.In order to strictly use VATSIM weather at your destination with suppression, it is recommended to reduce your suppression range to 70nm and use the Force Destination Wx Zone feature. This triggers at 80nm, and gives you a 10nm window for the weather to update with VATSIM weather. It must be noted that if the weather changes within 70nm in this example, it will be suppressed and keep the last weather.Of course, you can disable suppression entirely and always get the latest weather (incl vatsim) at any time, with the drawback of visible cloud shifts when the new weather is depicted.Given all the potential situtaitons, I think the best balance would be to use suppression at approximately 70nm with the destination force feature, with the potential caveat that wx may be slightly different if it updates within the last 70nm.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies