Sign in to follow this  

New Customer: Did I Do This Right?

I just bought ASA. This is my first ever weather program and er... well, it's all rather daunting for a newbie! :( So for my first flight I tried to do it as simple as possible. I just want to make sure if what I did does the job. BTW I also use FEX: I simply installed the themes I like, nothing that has to do with the specific weather of today.So, I started ASA and (after looking around a while and thinking MY GOODNESS) I went to the briefing page and entered EGLL and LSZH (it's the MD-11 tutorial flight). Some sort of flightpplan was created (well, simply EGLL to LSZH of course) and I could see various data about the weather. After that... I simply pressed the Start FS button, created a flight to start at EGLL and that's it. Weather looks quite different than my previous default weather so everything does work. But now I wonder: is there anything else I have to do to make sure the weather along the way and near LSZH is also as it should be right now? I've changed the ingame FSX weather settings as recommended by the ASA manual. Will the weather be updated now automatically when I come near to LSZH for instance? If so, I do wonder where all those other tabs in ASA are for... :( :( O, one more thing: I enabled the options Visibility graduation and smoothing, and that also activated DWC and smoothing. I got a message about something changing global... (?). But in the game I still see this clear sharp horizon:21c6vsg.jpgI thought these settings should prevent me from seeing that...? It was one of the things that made me decide to buy ASA, because I hate that way too obvious horizon.And while I am at it: in the MD-11 I have to enter the temp and wind of the first leg. In the tutorial this is -56 (Celcius)/T022. Where can I find that info in ASA...? The temp is quite clear but that T: is that the wind dir or speed?

Here I am at 37.000. Not what I expected to see, really.... :( 5ev33t.jpgI thought ASA would solve this horizon. All in all ASA doesn't seem to give me what I expected: nothing I couldn't handle myself with FSX default weather... but that's probably due to the fact today's weather isn't that exciting...? I read posts saying AS(A) changed FSX into something awesome: maybe someone can help me to see this too?

Hi,Have you tried reducing your maximum upper visibility slider? The Haze layer disable feature is completely unrelated to the affect you are describing. The horizon off in the distance is a result of your visibility simply being very high, which is normal, but you can reduce with the slider. I would recommend trying 39SM and 49SM, experimenting for your best results.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Okay, I think I got some things mixed up. I changed that setting to 50 and it looks a lot better now! :(

Hm, this is weird. I have max visibility at 50, the weather had 7,9 SM visibility and still I saw that straight horizon again... :( It was during sunset: does that have anything to do with it...? Yesterday it all looked fine: a haze around the horizon, so to speak.

Still having this problem:2h520pi.jpgHow can I get rid of that horizon??? I got vis to 40!!! :( BTW Is it possible to force changes in ASA Options into a current flight? When I change Options (like visibility), press Save and apply and then Refresh AI Aircraft on the Report page, nothing seems to happen. Well, something gets loaded, but the visibily doesn't change at all... I tried changing the visibility in the FSX weather menu but I think that messed up the connection with ASA... How can I force ASA to 'take over again' inflight?

Hi,Try a visibility of 29. Yes, sometimes you need to restart ASA.Thanks,

I've got vis at 29 now and look (looking left outside my window during takeoff... that's awfull!15d2e5z.jpgThe weird thing is that the setting works for everything on the ground (you don't see the textures anymore in the (near) distance, as expected) but you STILL see that horizon!!! :( It's driving me nuts.BTW I keep on posting about this because this REALLY was the thing that made me decide to buy ASA: someone said on a forum that ASA solved this 'problem' with FSX and then I immediately thought 'Okay, that's it, I am going to buy it'. The skies can be great and all but this horizon spoils it all for me.I just tried disabling all smoothing options for wind and visibility, but nothing works. Am I expecting too much maybe...?

Hi,Did you shut down FS and ASA and then restart? There are certain times when this needs to happen in order to see the changes.Thanks!

Yes, I did. Everytime I change a setting I restart everything. And of course I don't fly all day: I've got a daytime job, so... in between flights the computer is off too. :( It's weird because it did work well once, as I posted on december 27! But since then it simply doesn't work well anymore. I just don't get it...