Sign in to follow this  
SAS263

Your Favourite Cloud Replacements?

Hey all, due to having small kids I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

For clouds and water I use FEX. For tarmac, runways, etc I use Xgraphics. Purchased REX but not impressed yet. They have patch due out - I reserve judgement until then.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Beta tester meeting ? :( SAS263, you'll get many different 'opinions' with this kind of question. Study all those homepages and visit the support forums as well as sites known for their screen shots. I am sure you are able to make a decision which you don't have to regret. Those are all very good programs which enhance FS greatly :( .

Gents, thanks for your input. Since no freeware files poped up I suppose I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Tingoose

I also prefer FSX to REX. I find REX can look very unrealistic in some situations. The water textures in REX are superb though!

Guest ziporama
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so subjective but ;-)Lol there is always a but the trend is to make photo realistic stuff what actually doesn't blend well in to the sim it can sometimes look unreal to say the least ;-)The real art is not to do photo real but just make it look it's real and blend in the sim.
Agreed, photo realism can detract from the "rest" of it that isn't, especially at the boundaries, and then there's the look down close that makes it stick out like a sore thumb with few exceptions (the Orb team are making much headway in this area). It's nice to have photo based objects, but as a matter of taste, I much prefer the approximations of GEX and UT over real textures - it is much more consistent, and there are fewer lighting issues.I don't have FEX, but I am impressed with the REX water and clouds (you need to try different options there - some look better than others). ASA is a must for weather as it makes things much more interesting with regards to layers and placement, and performs quite a bit faster than the prior ASX.By the time it's all said and done, the combination of all these products and where they shine makes for a fantastic experience as each brings something to the table the other one doesn't get quite as well.Etienne